Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel prices world-wide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look more closely at the graph. It starts at 2.60 and ends at 3.70 with extensions above and below. Over that time frame factor in the decrease in the value of the dollar, add some inflation, and you have a stable price.
I'm sorry - 50-100% swings in price simply do not equal "stable price" - even if the start and end of the chart are similar.
My point is that it is that other factors have a bigger effect than the price of the fuel relative to other commodities.

This graph did not show production, just rigs operating. Rigs over time have lower production and more operating /= more production!
If you overlaid production with the graph, you'd see that production has risen with active rig count. Low oil prices means that oil companies have extra incentive to shut down low producing, high cost rigs which is why rig count dropped sharply shorter after oil prices plummeted.

This site has a pretty good chart of USA oil production with similar time frame to the above chart: The Oilman in the White House

Great. The UK annual budget review happened today, and amazingly, the Chancellor has announced that petrol tax is to go up by approx 14p / 20cents per gallon as of August 2012, and a UK gallon of petrol is already about £6.50 / $ 10.30 … which is kinda nuts compared to the $3.75 (or so) in the USA.

But its good news for the whole EV side of things, as this should make them even more desirable from a running costs point of view… especially if the same government is paying you to generate and use electricity from PV or other renewables.

Daily chart: Pump action | The Economist

20120331_WOC825.png

Since February the prices have been increasing here steadily.

Right now were at $2,50 for a litre, that's about $9.47 per gallon.

Analists are saying we'll hit the EUR 2.00 per litre soon.

Imho the prices can't rise high enough, for multiple reasons:
- EV's become more attractive
- People will think twice before jumping in their car

On the short-term it will indeed hurt people and businesses, but as long as fuel is cheap the behaviour of people won't change. I'm not happy either when I fill up my current car, but I have something to look forward to. Just another 10 months and I'll be released from the oil slavery!

The movement of people who buy an EV or Hybrid mainly for saving the planet is growing, but it can grow faster.

A couple of years ago you were seen as a complete lunatic or hippy if you drove a EV or Hybrid, but people are starting to accept it now.

On October 1st the VAT in the Netherlands went up from 19% to 21%, so that also raised our fuel prices.

Currently:
EURO 95: €1.891
EURO 98: €1.945

Source: nu.nl | Brandstof

Going from liters and Euro's to gallons and dollars: (1 Euro = 1.3032 U.S. dollars)

1.891 * 3.74 * 1.30 = $9.19
1.945 * 3.74 * 1.30 = $9.46

In other topics like:
* How many gallons will you no longer burn?
* How Would You Cope With High Gas Prices?

I saw that the gas prices in the US (CA only?) are currently nearing the $6 mark, that is high for the US. I remember a news article I read at a motel about 2 years ago which was telling that the US would grind to a halt if prices went over $4.

I took a trip to Amsterdam last week with the Roadster, that was 400km in total. With the Roadster it was about €11, would I have taken my Toyota Hybrid the same trip would have been €42.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Netherlands is now broadly similar to the UK for petrol prices.

I've just been playing with a spreadsheet to work out the approx fuel costs per mile for running an ICE car with no other costs included, and compared it to the costs of running an EV with various charging scenarios.

Makes for interesting reading !!

Fuelandrunningcosts-1.jpg

... and right now its a really sunny Sunday morning, so I am going to go for a cross country blast for no particular reason, and waste lots of free photons that previously fell on some silicon.

Last edited:
The photons previously fell on some silicon, but let's not split hairs - it's Niels Bohr's birthday afterall.

The dutch prices have been above ours for a long time, see chart above. It's interesting that some recent attitude survey, the Netherlands was lowest, just below Britain, in people saying they will consider an EV or PHEV as their next car. In fact the likelihood seemed inversely proportional to petrol prices. I will try to find a link.

The photons previously fell on some silicon, but let's not split hairs - it's Niels Bohr's birthday afterall.

Doh ! A quantum cock-up, duly corrected.

However the ionosphere is awash with electrons amongst other things. I wonder if the HAARP project has worked out how to tap into all that energy, for beneficial reasons rather than 'defense R&D' …?!