Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my X100D this Sat.
Now on my online portal/profile, it is offering me the option to purchase the $4000 Full Self-Driving Capability: only option i didn't get.
But if I am not mistaken, this feature is not yet available, is that correct?
Or at least it doesn't offer more than the Enhanced Autopilot, correct?
So what is the point of adding this option right now?!

The only point of adding it pre-delivery or post-delivery is if you want to roll it into your financing (pre-delivery), or if you can see the future and believe Tesla will raise the after-market activation price once it has real functionality (Tesla has frequently adjusted the price of after market software options in the past, they are not covered by your purchase agreement), or if you are feeling really generous and wanting to donate to FSD research....

'Full self driving capability' is certainly being argued about enough around here.

What would you expect to get for your money, Enz? Do you think your car will cruise the streets making you Uber money while you are sleeping and then drive home and plug itself in for you? Or are you expecting a car where you are supposed to keep your hands on the wheel paying 100% attention when it is 'self driving'?

and how long is too long to wait? 2 years? 5 years?

Based on the latest EAP updates--which for me got progressively worse, instead of getting better--if I could, I'd get a refund on both options. TACC works reasonably well on highways but I don't see them reigning in EAP for at least another year or even two. Not sure how much dependency they have in terms of one vs. the other. Right now, my hands cannot leave the steering wheel for a second because I cannot be sure the car doesn't do something completely unexpected and stupid, like steer out of a lane or sudden jerk into a median or next lane.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing gap between "forward looking" marketing statements vs. reality. Granted, these features were marketed as "Beta" or future capability for FSD, but the expectations set were nowhere near what's being delivered.

Do yourself a favor and save your money until they have a product that works. Wish I did.

In my humble opinion: FSD is an interest-free loan you are giving to Tesla for a long time. Odds are high they will not get this right anytime soon. Even EAP is nowhere near functional yet and it's the last 1% of the reliability (meaning FSD) that is 99% of the work.

Reactions: Peteybabes
Reading replies bring up an interesting question for me. I paid for FSD with HW2.0. So let's say you did not pay for FSD with HW2.0 and saved yourself $4K. When FSD becomes available and you want to purchase it, I think it's been said that it'll cost $4K + $1K(prepurchase advantage) = $5K additional in SOFTWARE upgrade. What if HW2.0 isn't up to snuff for FSD, and FSD requires HW2.5? Since I have already paid for FSD, Tesla has to upgrade me to HW2.5 to allow for FSD. You on the other hand cannot get FSD even with $5K in hand because it requires a HARDWARE upgrade as well, which could be significant.

Reading replies bring up an interesting question for me. I paid for FSD with HW2.0. So let's say you did not pay for FSD with HW2.0 and saved yourself $4K. When FSD becomes available and you want to purchase it, I think it's been said that it'll cost $4K + $1K(prepurchase advantage) = $5K additional in SOFTWARE upgrade. What if HW2.0 isn't up to snuff for FSD, and FSD requires HW2.5? Since I have already paid for FSD, Tesla has to upgrade me to HW2.5 to allow for FSD. You on the other hand cannot get FSD even with $5K in hand because it requires a HARDWARE upgrade as well, which could be significant.
Yes, this is the BEST CASE scenario owners like me are in having pre-paid for both EAP and FSD. I hope it doesn't devolve into law suits and that somehow Tesla make us whole for having purchased this back in 2016.

In my humble opinion: FSD is an interest-free loan you are giving to Tesla for a long time.
The interest on this loan is 33%. ($4000 down the road, vs. $3000 if prepaid at the time of the order.) And it can be financed at just 0.99% ;)
I didn't order the FSD option with my Model S, but I wish I did, as I am pretty sure I'll be adding it in the next couple of years.

Except that Elon Musk has verbally promised to upgrade anyone with HW2.0 to HW2.5 if it is necessary to run full FSD. Sounds like they planned for the possibility of requiring a hardware upgrade, just in case.

Reactions: rush6410
Except that Elon Musk has verbally promised to upgrade anyone with HW2.0 to HW2.5 if it is necessary to run full FSD. Sounds like they planned for the possibility of requiring a hardware upgrade, just in case.
Yes, presumably for those who have prepaid. Those who didn't prepay for FSD on the other hand...
The tesla site said you can pay $5K extra when FSD is ready if you didn't prepay. But there's no guarantee Tesla would honor that $5K upgrade and they certainly are not on the hook to upgrade those who didn't prepay. They can say if you want to upgrade to FSD, you can pay $10K (or any arbitrary amount) because it's a software AND a hardware upgrade.

Reactions: Cowbell
Yes, presumably for those who have prepaid. Those who didn't prepay for FSD on the other hand...
The tesla site said you can pay $5K extra when FSD is ready if you didn't prepay. But there's no guarantee Tesla would honor that $5K upgrade and they certainly are not on the hook to upgrade those who didn't prepay. They can say if you want to upgrade to FSD, you can pay $10K (or any arbitrary amount) because it's a software AND a hardware upgrade.
Isn't the amount $4,000? $3,000 if you order when you buy the car and $4,000 if you upgrade after you buy the car. I am paying $3,000 with my order this week. I understand that they could change the $4,000 upgrade fee later but now it is $4,000.

Isn't the amount $4,000? $3,000 if you order when you buy the car and $4,000 if you upgrade after you buy the car. I am paying $3,000 with my order this week. I understand that they could change the $4,000 upgrade fee later but now it is $4,000.
You're right, $4K for EAP + additional $3K for FSD. The numbers get jumbled up in my head :) So yes they're saying $4K in the future to upgrade, but they don't have to adhere to that figure because it's not a contract or even a promise. There's no contract if you didn't pay. Heck, it could be $20K (for those who didn't prepay) if they decide that HW5.0 is needed with LIDAR, 20 cameras and a rain sensor.

Wait at best 2-4 years and then consider.

EAP does about 15% of what it has promised at best so far.
FSD does 0%, and likely won't for some time.
No guarantee that EAP will ever do everything promised and FSD as well - as may require additional hardware yet again, etc.

Personally I don't see the point of FSD. Tesla is a fun car to drive, I love it, and I can't see myself turning this $100k beautiful car into a taxi. And after my experience with EAP, I would never trust my life and my family's life to a glitchy software, NEVER.
I think Tesla is under a lot of pressure from the investors to deliver on FSD, but I believe most of Tesla owners, myself included, want a reliable EAP to add an extra layer of safety so we can relax behind the wheel from time to time.

Reactions: arcus
I ordered my X back in March with FSD. I was on the fence, and Elon’s famous tweet “three months may be, six months definitely” made the difference o_O.

Now, I will be thrilled if I can get FSD with my next Tesla, about 10 years from now. For this one, I have already written it off.