Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving frequently shows as "unavailable"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
So in the last weeks i've noticed that on many drives the grey wheel symbol which represents when you can engage autopilot is often missing or will flash available for a second then disappear again. This seems to happen more at the beginning of a drive and/or on surface streets vs larger highways. On 2022.45.15 software.

Doing some testing today and I realized that if i turn off FSD and instead just use the regular autopilot setting, the problem is totally solved. Service looked at data and says they aren't sure what is causing it, but I need to come in to have the car looked at.

Given the above this really seems like a software problem and I don't want to have service start replacing things willy-nilly and charging me for it. Anyone else experience something similar?

It starting happening in the current FSD release, there are a number of threads about it. It's a regression problem that hopefully gets fixed soon.

Thanks, wasn't able to find other threads but had a feeling it was software related. I love how you can find more info here than you can get from anyone at Tesla who insists on a physical service appt with diagnostic fee :rolleyes:

So in the last weeks i've noticed that on many drives the grey wheel symbol which represents when you can engage autopilot is often missing or will flash available for a second then disappear again. This seems to happen more at the beginning of a drive and/or on surface streets vs larger highways. On 2022.45.15 software.

Doing some testing today and I realized that if i turn off FSD and instead just use the regular autopilot setting, the problem is totally solved. Service looked at data and says they aren't sure what is causing it, but I need to come in to have the car looked at.

Given the above this really seems like a software problem and I don't want to have service start replacing things willy-nilly and charging me for it. Anyone else experience something similar?
I'm having the same issue and it seemed to start with 11.3.6. Others have reported the same problem. I agree with your assumption that it's probably a software issue and that it makes no sense to get service involved.

....Service looked at data and says they aren't sure what is causing it, but I need to come in to have the car looked at......
It is a bug we are all now experiencing on FSD Beta. Frustrating but will probably be fixed on the next update. However even if service replaces you entire car it will still happen. So cancel your pointless Service visit and to free up that spot.

It is covered MANY times in the FSD Beta V11 sticky thread and of course happens to me all the time. But the thread is so bloated especially with OT banter that it would be easy to miss.

I thought it was a new "Whack-a-mole" type of game they created to keep the driver engaged! No steering wheel icon, then it appears and you try to engage it before it disappears again and get the "Not available" message.
However, it does cause more driver distraction watching for the icon to appear.
I hadn't realized how much I'd gotten used to engaging FSD for the drives around the town.
It's a bit annoying, as I now have to actually do some of the driving now. :)

Reactions: JulienW
It is a bug we are all now experiencing on FSD Beta. Frustrating but will probably be fixed on the next update. However even if service replaces you entire car it will still happen. So cancel your pointless Service visit and to free up that spot.

It is covered MANY times in the FSD Beta V11 sticky thread and of course happens to me all the time. But the thread is so bloated especially with OT banter that it would be easy to miss.
Yea I understand how service won't do anything, asked them to pass it along to Tesla since it seems they are unaware of the problem (at the service center level) tho im sure the autopilot team is already aware of it. Bit of a shame that Tesla doesn't have better internal communication to keep service informed of bugs like this so they don't waste time trying to troubleshoot when it's clearly a software bug.

And yea no way am I going to be able to read the entire sticky thread to find a few comments discussing the problem. Google and TMC search didn't really return anything so I made the post.

Thanks for input everyone!

Reactions: TresLA
I’ve been experiencing this and didn’t even think it was a problem until seeing this thread. So yeah, I’ve been sometimes getting it, but apparently I have such a high pain tolerance that I try a couple times and eventually catch that moment the icon appears to engage FSDb and not thinking twice about it. I don’t think it’s happening often, but it has been happening.