Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare still recommended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I rather have a FULL SIZE spare. That way if you have a flat, you can just swap it out and keep on going rather than on a temp/smaller size spare and have to limp to a tire shop right away.
Best is to buy 1 OEM take off wheel and put a full size (same as stock) tire on it. Just carry it when you go long distance... Just my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
If I had a model Y, I would use the ability to hide it under the floor like I mentioned earlier in the thread. I’ve done that for a few friends, and it works quite well.
Good to hear, do U happen to have pics to share? thanks
I have seen some pics that owners cut thru the trunk base ? and fit it in nicely but I prefer not to do so because IMO it will impact resale value

Honestly I rather have a FULL SIZE spare. That way if you have a flat, you can just swap it out and keep on going rather than on a temp/smaller size spare and have to limp to a tire shop right away.
Best is to buy 1 OEM take off wheel and put a full size (same as stock) tire on it. Just carry it when you go long distance... Just my opinion.
Well, supposedly they're rated for up to 81 mph, so I'm not sure you need to limp anywhere. Granted, I wouldn't be too aggressive on acceleration and braking as they'd likely do burn outs, but you can drive at decent speeds until you get to a shop to patch/replace the tire.

A full size spare is also twice as thick as the modern spare, so it uses up that much more room. Room, most would likely rather not have to give up over a compact spare.

Comfort and driving wise I would want to have a full size spare. But having a full size spare actually requires you to rotate them in when you rotate tires to keep the wear even, otherwise you have one tire that is practically brand new that is mismatched from the other three. And that is generally not a good thing when driving.

So you might say its fine to drive mismatched tires only temporarily... Well, then might as well get a compact spare and save some room/weight/etc.

Good to hear, do U happen to have pics to share? thanks
I have seen some pics that owners cut thru the trunk base ? and fit it in nicely but I prefer not to do so because IMO it will impact resale value
While you do need to cut through the liner if you want to use attachment points to secure the tire, I don't think there's anything that needs to be cut. The "bar" that separates the shallow and deep under trunk is bolted on (two at each end). In fact, its those mounting spots that is used for the strap.

What I tend to try to do is, if I need to modify anything, that can't be returned to how it was from factory (ie, cut something up), I would see if I can buy a replacement and modify that instead. So, maybe look for a cheaper replacement carpet liner and cut that.

Well, supposedly they're rated for up to 81 mph, so I'm not sure you need to limp anywhere. Granted, I wouldn't be too aggressive on acceleration and braking as they'd likely do burn outs, but you can drive at decent speeds until you get to a shop to patch/replace the tire.

A full size spare is also twice as thick as the modern spare, so it uses up that much more room. Room, most would likely rather not have to give up over a compact spare.

Comfort and driving wise I would want to have a full size spare. But having a full size spare actually requires you to rotate them in when you rotate tires to keep the wear even, otherwise you have one tire that is practically brand new that is mismatched from the other three. And that is generally not a good thing when driving.

So you might say its fine to drive mismatched tires only temporarily... Well, then might as well get a compact spare and save some room/weight/etc.

While you do need to cut through the liner if you want to use attachment points to secure the tire, I don't think there's anything that needs to be cut. The "bar" that separates the shallow and deep under trunk is bolted on (two at each end). In fact, its those mounting spots that is used for the strap.

What I tend to try to do is, if I need to modify anything, that can't be returned to how it was from factory (ie, cut something up), I would see if I can buy a replacement and modify that instead. So, maybe look for a cheaper replacement carpet liner and cut that.
Good for U. I don't have the skills and I always F it up when I tried to modify something... hahahaha

What are members doing on the MYP with different sizes front and rear?
I think you kinda just have to deal with it being mismatched even more. Even though I’ll be getting the P, I plan on switching to a square setup for regular use and keeping the factory wheels for “if I wanna have some fun.”

@Goobers: I learn by visual, so if U have pix please share. Thanks
You might want to remember to put your message outside of the quotes… otherwise no one can quote you as it filters out previously quoted message (you quoted me and it erased that from your message when I tried to quote you). It was a chore making this quote.

Anyway, I haven’t even gotten my MYP yet, let alone decided for sure to make the modification. I know I’ll definitely get a spare (either modern spare from
Amazon or the TSportline version). I’ll be using it for delivery work and can’t wait around for roadside assistance. At first, I might try seeing how it works just on the cargo floor, putting my other crates on and around it. If it takes up too much room, isn’t stable enough and/or makes noise, I’ll try the mod.

If I try the mod, I’ll try to remember to take pics.

Is it possible (safety-wise) to use a 19" YLR Gemini wheel/tire as a spare on a MYP ?
If you want to, sure.

The only thing to note is that it’s the same diameter as the front. You’ll still be mismatched with the rear… assuming factory wheels & tire sizes.

I did a little googling earlier and found that many folks with staggered wheels (mostly BMW results) stick to matching the spare with the front. The reason is that matching with the rear leads to fitment issues when using the bigger size on the front. The rear is almost an inch wider and about 2/3 of an inch taller diameter.

There was one post that said that everyone they knew did that (spare matching front), but then most of them later moved to square setups.

The Modern Spare is 4x18" while a Mounted Induction 20" spare would be 9.5x20". I ended up ordering the Modern Spare due to the considerable size difference. I plan to put it behind the passenger seat when I take long trips. According to FedEx I'm supposed to get it tomorrow so I'll see how that works out. I had considered the TSportline version but it’s 7 lbs heavier and Modern Spare specializes in these and has been doing this longer.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the other brand but Modern Spare has been worth its weight in gold. On a recent road trip I hit a chunk of concrete after a car in the adjacent lane spun out and hit a concrete divider. This was on the 5 South north of Oceanside at 10 PM. I expected the tire to be fully damaged so I pulled safely to the shoulder. I initially thought I'd change the tire out on the shoulder of the freeway but it was too narrow on the shoulder and didn't feel safe due to being so close to the lanes of traffic. I limped on the shoulder to the next exit since my tire was likely toast anyway. I pulled in to the back of a gas station at the exit and was going to change the tire there. I figured I'd check on how long AAA would take since I have membership anyway. They were 30 minutes out so it made sense to wait them out since it was a short wait. If it would've been 3 hours out or something I would've done it myself with the Modern Spare toolkit.

The Modern Spare fit perfectly and I was able to drive about 200 miles on it before I could get the tires replaced.

On a side note, a lot of tow truck drivers don't carry much of anything other than a jack. At first the driver couldn't get the center cap off since he had no tools and was about to leave and leave me to deal with calling another tow truck driver. I also asked about pucks and he said negative. I didn't have anything so I risked whatever possible issue there with him lifting without a puck (but I doubt anything happened). That wouldn't have been cool if he would've bailed and left me there but he managed to get the center cap off after all. Also, had I not had a spare I would've been SOL since this was late at night and there were no shops to tow to and buy tires. This would've involved an overnight hotel stay and a major loss of time as I was almost at my destination. Fortunately with the Modern Spare I was able to lose at most an hour or so of time.

As a lesson learned, carry pucks if your car requires and carry something to remove the center cap. Also, it hadn't occurred to me, but a battery powered impact driver is a great idea to carry along on a trip.

I think you kinda just have to deal with it being mismatched even more. Even though I’ll be getting the P, I plan on switching to a square setup for regular use and keeping the factory wheels for “if I wanna have some fun.”

You might want to remember to put your message outside of the quotes… otherwise no one can quote you as it filters out previously quoted message (you quoted me and it erased that from your message when I tried to quote you). It was a chore making this quote.

Anyway, I haven’t even gotten my MYP yet, let alone decided for sure to make the modification. I know I’ll definitely get a spare (either modern spare from
Amazon or the TSportline version). I’ll be using it for delivery work and can’t wait around for roadside assistance. At first, I might try seeing how it works just on the cargo floor, putting my other crates on and around it. If it takes up too much room, isn’t stable enough and/or makes noise, I’ll try the mod.

If I try the mod, I’ll try to remember to take pics.
Got it. Thanks

The Modern Spare is 4x18" while a Mounted Induction 20" spare would be 9.5x20". I ended up ordering the Modern Spare due to the considerable size difference. I plan to put it behind the passenger seat when I take long trips. According to FedEx I'm supposed to get it tomorrow so I'll see how that works out. I had considered the TSportline version but it’s 7 lbs heavier and Modern Spare specializes in these and has been doing this longer.
Correction, posted the wrong dimensions for the Modern Spare though the weight difference is correct.

I assume "behind the passenger seat" means "behind the 2nd row? and on the trunk cargo space. If so I wonder how much space it's going to take away from the trunk space.
Thanks
I'm expecting delivery this afternoon and will post a couple of pics today/tommorow so you can see how much space it takes in a couple of locations. I purchased the bag w/ tool kit also.

Great. Can't wait. If look OK then I may consider one for my MYLR 2023
Thanks
Here you go. This will give you an idea of size. As it's just the wife and myself when we take trips I plan to store it behind the passenger seat vertically. I think that will work best for packing purposes. The tools are secured inside the spare and bubble wrapped - I may pack a few other items around it in the case to ensure it won't rattle and free up a bit of space in the under trunk storage area. If you stand it against the back of the second row seats it's a bit too high though I've a pic where someone removed the forward trunk cover so it dropped down a few inches, then strapped it flush against the back of the seats. I'll see how things fit and figure out the best place before our next planned long trip in May.

IMG_1384.jpeg
IMG_1383.jpeg

Well, I just ordered the Modern Spare and completely forgotten about the TSportline option. The TSportline is about $20 cheaper, but I'm not sure it's a better option. Modern seems like a more proven option. It's probably a wash.

How does one strap the spare down without tearing up the back?