Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full throttle charging to 99%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Interesting thing I have discovered about my S100D. Don't do it often at all but today charged to 99% and had full 72Amps 230V (17kWh) all the way to 99%. I don't remember my 85D holding at full throttle charging to 99%.

Anyone else noticed this as well?

My understanding just from TMC is that no throttling occurs when AC charging. I've charged to 100% twice, but before I had TeslaFi logging. So no data here.
It certainly does still throttle on AC too, because it's doing it based on power level versus how full the battery is, and all the battery can "see" is DC all the time--no matter if it was AC first and then converted.

You know how people talk about the taper curve at a Supercharger, and they're talking about it dropping to 90, 80, 60, 40kW, etc.? A 240V 40A flow is only 10kW. It's already so low, it's below the taper curve until the battery is up to about 98% or more, so people just don't ever look at their cars when they are charging that high to see it start dropping from 40A.