Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fun with EAP (don't try this at home)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, while driving home stuck in traffic tonight on EAP (which is awesome for stop and go) I had a fun thought:

What if I rolled the window down and did a ninja dive out of the car without opening the door and then jogged beside the car for a while?

Not that I would seriously do this, but traffic was moving at around 10km/h and I thought it would be funny to see a dude jogging beside an empty car driving itself.

I wonder if there is a weight sensor to the driver's seat when EAP is enabled? Im guessing so, otherwise in a model X you could probably go sit in the back (assuming there were no steering wheel nags).

And, not this isn't serious. Just a fun thought experiment. I would never risk damaging my car, my body, or someone else's body/car with something so foolish....but I bet it would work :)

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
So, while driving home stuck in traffic tonight on EAP (which is awesome for stop and go) I had a fun thought:

What if I rolled the window down and did a ninja dive out of the car without opening the door and then jogged beside the car for a while?

Not that I would seriously do this, but traffic was moving at around 10km/h and I thought it would be funny to see a dude jogging beside an empty car driving itself.

I wonder if there is a weight sensor to the driver's seat when EAP is enabled? Im guessing so, otherwise in a model X you could probably go sit in the back (assuming there were no steering wheel nags).

And, not this isn't serious. Just a fun thought experiment. I would never risk damaging my car, my body, or someone else's body/car with something so foolish....but I bet it would work :)

Yes there is a weight sensor on driver's seat. But not sure what happens if you keep the seat belt buckled and don't open the door...

IIRC, Youtuber i1Tesla did some testing with this early in his "What If...." series. If the seat feels your weight come off of it, it stops the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and pcons
If there's no weight in the seat, or the seat belt is unbuckled, the car will panic.

This wasn't always the case, but folks have done too many stunts like this over the last three years and Tesla has had to add code to stop it.

So today I tried a couple things; for science of course.

When you unbuckle your seatbelt in EAP the car immediately starts to slow down. But if I prop myself up with my elbows so I'm not on the seat (with the seatbelt buckled in behind me), nothing happens while in EAP.

So, I guess if you buckled an empty seat and somehow got out of the car without opening the door the car would drive while empty (until the steering wheel nags start, that is)

Reactions: bijan
German team hyper miled 1000+kms with a dummy in the seat. I suppose you can do the same with a weighted nap sack belted in. Operate the stock from the passenger seat and wait for the dangerous driving, stunt driving, etc. charges to come in when everyone films you ;)

I think you want to wait for advanced summon mode with RC car controls. Should save you a lot of trouble trying to jury rig something up :p
I think we'll be waiting a long time for that in Canada :(

I'm even considering re-purposing an old smartphone and leaving it in the garage (plugged in), and running summon from there via some sort of remote control app from my actual phone in the house. Currently I have to open the garage door to the house and stick my hand in the garage to get close enough for summon to work as is.

Its acceptable to me this way, but if I can do it without opening the door that would be good. After using it for a few months now I trust it enough to back out of the garage properly and not crash into anything.... (famous last words :eek:...)

Reactions: akidesir