Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snarky reply-(and our son lives in LA)-they have free-flowing conditions? We actually have not always been stuck in traffic when we visit, but the conditions are often classic LA.

Absolutely. Now, we're notorious for our traffic, sure, but man when it clears up our average speed is quite fast....easily 75-85mph in the 'fast' and HOV lanes. It really depends on time of day and the direction you're going. :D The freeway matters too. The 405 last I checked was the most congested freeway in the U.S., and is pretty bad during the week but for a few hours where it's not. The 170 is generally a fast mover, and the 210 is a very wide freeway that isn't too bad (sometimes wide open). The 101 is twisty and fun though I don't commute on it.

Of course, when things open up you have to watch for traffic enforcement but the prevailing speed is quite brisk when it's clear.

Reactions: Andy7
likely - it doesn't work - when people try to explain elements of character - once they reach adulthood.

Yes but if you ridicule someone I can assure you they won't hear a thing you say from that point out. Some you may not care about but when it's your aunt and she felt embarrassed by the whole office, we'll I'd say family get togethers can get uncomfortable. it's nice if she can laugh along with others but didn't sound like it in this instance. Making someone feel stupid is not soon forgotten. And certainly won't win over anyone to Tesla.

Reactions: Andy7 and brucet999
That pizza room one kinda makes sense actually. For years, the batteries in hybrids took a lot of storage space. Imagine a vehicle that had 10x the batteries, no space left!

The only "dumb" question I get, and I get it often, is "did (or why didn't) you get the performance version?!". Everything else is in jest, like being careful to not get electrocuted when we drive it in the rain.
I deliver pizzas as a side job in my 3 (the smallest Tesla to date) I think my record is over 18 pizzas without even using cabin space, I put them in the trunks to reduce the smell. A buddy and coworker actually delivers in a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which does have a reduced trunk size by quite a lot, but considering both cars are 5 seater sedans that have plenty of passenger space, you could use that in a pinch, even for 6 whole pizzas :D

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
One other thought about interacting with people asking about EVs: I try to give an emotional answer even if I wind up foregoing an opportunity to give a factual answer. "This is the most awesome car EVER and it goes through snow, ice, rain and everything and I hope one day everyone will have a car as great as this one! Way better than the Audi and the VW and the Nissan I used to own!"

This has taken a lot of practice for an ex-engineer. :) But I have come to believe that most people fail to retain the facts but almost always retain the emotion. And the *emotion* makes them question their own assumptions.

Alan

I’ve been asked quite a few questions about my M3AWD. I see it as an opportunity to be an ambassador for this car we all love so much. There are no dumb questions. I patiently and enthusiastically answer each, no ,after how silly it may seem, because the person really wants to know. I’ve met some interesting people in the parking lot this way. I’ve had a few who have Made statements to me that were not “EV-friendly” but those statements almost always come from mis-information or general ignorance. I seek to educate and inform. I have made one hard-core conservative a believer, by focusing on the tech, the merits and efficiency of electric motors and the autopilot/fsd tech. Arrogance among Tesla’s drivers, thinking people are stupid because they don’t know Physics or electrical engineeering,etc. is not the way we want to be seen. We want wider adoption of EVs, and especially Tesla’s.

so if someone asks me “What’s an electric car? (real question), I simply tell them. No judgment.
I am what some folks label as "Ultra Right Wing" Conservative. I love my country, my God and don't touch my weapons, I pay for what I use and I don't ask anyone for anything I am capable of doing myself. I am also a retired aircraft mechanic, 21 years USCG, C-130s, and I absolutely love the minimal maintenance of a Tesla. A stockholder and will talk people's ears off if they want to ask questions about EVs. Been studying EV technology since about 2006 and I am excited the way things are finally going electric. In a few years we will not use the term "EV" but just vehicle or "car", gas will be a novelty like a VHS tape player or 8-Track.

Absolutely. Now, we're notorious for our traffic, sure, but man when it clears up our average speed is quite fast....easily 75-85mph in the 'fast' and HOV lanes. It really depends on time of day and the direction you're going. :D The freeway matters too. The 405 last I checked was the most congested freeway in the U.S., and is pretty bad during the week but for a few hours where it's not. The 170 is generally a fast mover, and the 210 is a very wide freeway that isn't too bad (sometimes wide open). The 101 is twisty and fun though I don't commute on it.

Of course, when things open up you have to watch for traffic enforcement but the prevailing speed is quite brisk when it's clear.
It makes me appreciate living in lower Alabama all the more. With only 15 minutes to work on country 2-lane roads, a traffic "slow down" might be my neighbor on his combine during harvest season moving his equipment to a different field. Watch out for knuckleheads on the cell phones though, been run off the road twice. Interstate is wide open all the way to Jax, FL heading East and heading West, Phoenix is as far West as I prefer to travel on four wheels.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I deliver pizzas as a side job in my 3 (the smallest Tesla to date) I think my record is over 18 pizzas without even using cabin space, I put them in the trunks to reduce the smell. A buddy and coworker actually delivers in a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which does have a reduced trunk size by quite a lot, but considering both cars are 5 seater sedans that have plenty of passenger space, you could use that in a pinch, even for 6 whole pizzas :D
Looking forward to the CyberTrk pizza box tally.

So, you think it reasonable that she thought there was no trunk space and also didn't know that there is a passenger seat in front and three seats in back?
It makes sense if she thought he drove an electric Harley.

Some pizza drivers don't like putting them in the cabin, preferring to put in their trunk because it helps their car not perpetually smell like pizza. Owners of nicer cars especially have a tendency to not want to smell up their car with food if they can't avoid it.

Most of my pizza driver coworkers back when I did that didn't use the back seats because they'd inevitably tip vertical and spill if you had to brake hard. Front seat or the trunk were the best options for pizza survival. I personally didn't have back seats, I drove a Smart fortwo at the time.

Funny story actually, Dominos pizza boxes (at least the style they have here) have to sit on the front seat of the Model 3 weirdly, it's basically supported only on two sides. If the pizza is rather steamy, the box fails and the front/back open, letting the pizza slide out onto the seat. Ask how I know that :S

It makes me appreciate living in lower Alabama all the more. With only 15 minutes to work on country 2-lane roads, a traffic "slow down" might be my neighbor on his combine during harvest season moving his equipment to a different field. Watch out for knuckleheads on the cell phones though, been run off the road twice. Interstate is wide open all the way to Jax, FL heading East and heading West, Phoenix is as far West as I prefer to travel on four wheels.

That is a stark difference from what I'm used to. Doing what I do it's good to be in L.A.; video-game developer (28+ years) and now AR/VR. Unless companies become way better about us working from home (and this is improving), I wouldn't fare well in Alabama!

I do look forward to a time when working from home is so common that I can live in a completely different state from the company which signs my checks, and that's before we even consider how much real estate costs here. :D

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Not a dumb question, but a dumb comment:

I told my coworker I was getting a Tesla, and he told me not to run him over in the parking lot.... you know, because it's silent, and I guess I'm going to stop looking where I'm going? I had no clue what to say to that.

On the positive side of things, I saw a lady checking out my car in a parking lot last weekend, said she really wanted to get one some day. She asked to look inside, so I let her check it out. I'm happy to share the Tesla love.

Ugh come to Toronto. Worst traffic in North America. Literally!

I don't know... I hear Seattle's the worst. I experienced Seattle. I regretted Seattle. Seattle exists as a scar on my driving experiences. Seattle, man.

I'll pay the thread tax and be on topic, I actually recall one I used to get a lot.

"You can drink more since your car will drive you home, right?"

Hell. No.

It was after one of these statements that the CEO of a company I used to work for proceeded to explain he and his brother would get drunk and then use AutoPilot as much as possible to get home... I'm not sure why I didn't say more in protest.

Reactions: toolman335