Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny story for ya'll....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was time for new tires, so I went to the local tire store. They asked for the key... I handed them the RFID card.... puzzled looks. I offer to drive it into the bay. No, insurance regulations they say.

Mechanic comes into lobby to collect the key and paperwork packet and the cashier grins handing him the key. So I walked him outside and showed him how to start the car. He put it in reverse and I walked back into the waiting room. 45 seconds later, he's running after me..... the car kept going into park because he hadn't put on seat belt and he couldn't figure out how to turn down the radio. He finally gave me the key and asked me to drive it into the shop.

no one could figure out how to start the car, so the guy can in to the waiting room held up the fob, and asked, who has the space ship, it was their first Tesla
Who has the spaceship??? lol.... reminds me of the movie Risky Business.... When he drove the Porsche into the lake and the mechanic came out asking "Who owns the u-boat?".

My car just does not feel right after getting back tyres, it's a 2019 model three, just as I was leaving he said remember to disable jacking mode, I don't think it has a jacking mode does it? It does feel as if it is sitting high, might just be my overactive imagination.

Quite amusing, but I would be worried they wouldn't lift the car properly using 4 jack pads!
I tried to ask a tire technician to use the jack pads or a smooth jack. He looked at me like I was trying to tell him his job and said those were not necessary. Then tightened the lug nuts in a circle pattern on the tire he was not working on. I said “have you ever Heard of a star pattern before” I started videoing at that point. He finished quickly handed me paperwork and let me drive my car out. Never going back their again.

Tesla verified no damage and I went to the same brand tire shop but different location and they were fantastic. I hate having to watch mechanics but that’s the reality these days. Some are great and personable. And some are not.

My car just does not feel right after getting back tyres, it's a 2019 model three, just as I was leaving he said remember to disable jacking mode, I don't think it has a jacking mode does it? It does feel as if it is sitting high, might just be my overactive imagination.
Model 3 doesn't have air suspension like the S and X; therefore no "jack mode".

Did the shop install the correct size tires?

• Informative
Reactions: 0ptions and Phlier
Handing keys over is always potentially amusing - even for non-Tesla vehicles. I've returned from a trip to find my car exactly where I left it for valet parking, because no one could figure out how to start it (car is 50 years old and shift lever switch only engages if you hold it just right - I was in a rush and forgot to mention that). If it sits for a while, you also have to manually set the choke - most people nowadays have no clue. Almost as good a theft deterrent as Sentry mode! ;-)

Handing keys over is always potentially amusing - even for non-Tesla vehicles. I've returned from a trip to find my car exactly where I left it for valet parking, because no one could figure out how to start it (car is 50 years old and shift lever switch only engages if you hold it just right - I was in a rush and forgot to mention that). If it sits for a while, you also have to manually set the choke - most people nowadays have no clue. Almost as good a theft deterrent as Sentry mode! ;-)
Memories of the times when only the owner knew the secret combination of manual choke and # of gas pedal pumps to get the car started! Yup, they don’t make’em like they used to!

It was time for new tires, so I went to the local tire store. They asked for the key... I handed them the RFID card.... puzzled looks. I offer to drive it into the bay. No, insurance regulations they say.

Mechanic comes into lobby to collect the key and paperwork packet and the cashier grins handing him the key. So I walked him outside and showed him how to start the car. He put it in reverse and I walked back into the waiting room. 45 seconds later, he's running after me..... the car kept going into park because he hadn't put on seat belt and he couldn't figure out how to turn down the radio. He finally gave me the key and asked me to drive it into the shop.
For future reference Discount/American Tire is highly recommended.

So... which tires did you go with? I need new tires too. o_O

I give my business to the local Discount Tire because:
  • No "insurance rules" bs, I can stand over the tech the whole time if I want
  • If I say "4-ways only" then no power tools
  • If I say "floor jacks only" then no lifts
I hate being "that guy" but when I take the DeLorean in, I'm 100% sure it's their first time working on one. The fiberglass underbody has steel-reinforced jack points, and the unreinforced areas will not hold the weight of the car, so a slight misalignment can do significant damage.

I give my business to the local Discount Tire because:
  • No "insurance rules" bs, I can stand over the tech the whole time if I want
  • If I say "4-ways only" then no power tools
  • If I say "floor jacks only" then no lifts
I hate being "that guy" but when I take the DeLorean in, I'm 100% sure it's their first time working on one. The fiberglass underbody has steel-reinforced jack points, and the unreinforced areas will not hold the weight of the car, so a slight misalignment can do significant damage.
That’s why I have them put the tires on the rims and I put them on the car myself. Shop manager even told me they only have one guy who does the Tesla vehicles because they don’t trust any of their other employees to even drive them into the bay. That alone scared the hell out of me. I have had a couple bad experiences over the years. Once a guy opened the door into something on the hoist scraping the paint to the bare metal, then one guy somehow poke a hole through my seat. Damage was repaired but it’s never the same. Best part on my last tire change...the guy dropped one of my new rims face down on the cement floor leaving numerous pit marks. They didn’t believe the marks weren’t already there, but because I’m paranoid I had taken pictures of all 4 rims at their shop before leaving. One young employee told me the guy had them stacked 4 high and knocked one over by accident. I can’t win.

If they don't know how to drive it, I would not have them work on it.

Reactions: kpeng and Phlier