Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny to see what the “other M3” owners think.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I try not to be a fanboy or too much of a Tesla douche. The one thing I do notice is that when i see a brand new BMW, Lexus, Mercedes etc... I always think to myself "why didn't they buy a Tesla?". It feels like seeing someone buy an expensive flip phone a few months after the iphone came out.

My dad always had 3 series BMW's growing up and I love the cars but feel like we are on the precipice of a revolution in the industry. I admittedly thought that we would be further into the self driving thing by now. I refused to buy a new car for the last 5 years telling my wife that I didn't want to buy a car and have it out dated in a year when full self driving became standard. But at 200k miles and 12 years my old car was finally ready to tap out, luckily the 3 came about the same time and the software updates make me worry less about buying a car right before the technology evolves.

Everyone has different preferences and dream cars but I really think anyone considering a car purchase right now should spend a day driving a Tesla. I have met very few people that have driven a Tesla and not become a fan.

I try not to be a fanboy or too much of a Tesla douche. The one thing I do notice is that when i see a brand new BMW, Lexus, Mercedes etc... I always think to myself "why didn't they buy a Tesla?". It feels like seeing someone buy an expensive flip phone a few months after the iphone came out.

My dad always had 3 series BMW's growing up and I love the cars but feel like we are on the precipice of a revolution in the industry. I admittedly thought that we would be further into the self driving thing by now. I refused to buy a new car for the last 5 years telling my wife that I didn't want to buy a car and have it out dated in a year when full self driving became standard. But at 200k miles and 12 years my old car was finally ready to tap out, luckily the 3 came about the same time and the software updates make me worry less about buying a car right before the technology evolves.

Everyone has different preferences and dream cars but I really think anyone considering a car purchase right now should spend a day driving a Tesla. I have met very few people that have driven a Tesla and not become a fan.
Brand loyalty, bias against electrics, not wanting to wait, believing that electrics aren't useful for getting around, drastically overestimating the odds that they take a random cross country trip...

Reactions: Abstrakt1
Brand loyalty, bias against electrics, not wanting to wait, believing that electrics aren't useful for getting around, drastically overestimating the odds that they take a random cross country trip...

I do think the bias against electric is the biggest hurdle. It didn't help that the early electric cars were designed with a look that forced you to decide between the environment and your dignity. Most people's first questions to me are around range and if I get range anxiety. Most feel better about it after I explain to them that you start every morning with the range of roughly a full tank of gas. I do tend to under estimate the supercharger times a bit and just say it takes like 40 minutes, if you say an hour people start to get skeptical because they don't realize how rarely they actually take a long road trip

Reactions: Nocturnal
I do think the bias against electric is the biggest hurdle. It didn't help that the early electric cars were designed with a look that forced you to decide between the environment and your dignity. Most people's first questions to me are around range and if I get range anxiety. Most feel better about it after I explain to them that you start every morning with the range of roughly a full tank of gas. I do tend to under estimate the supercharger times a bit and just say it takes like 40 minutes, if you say an hour people start to get skeptical because they don't realize how rarely they actually take a long road trip
I tell people that yes, that one road trip a year will take an extra hour, but that I save 15 minutes a week by never going to the gas station.

I was a huge Porsche fan. I had dreams of one day owning an air-cooled 911.

As soon as I took delivery, that all changed. It was instant. Every ICE car just had me thinking "why?" Every time you hit the red line, you'd be worried about detonating the engine, burning the clutch, etc., limiting your enjoyment. The Tesla is pure fun, by design.

Reactions: GSP and Abstrakt1
I don't think anyone is disputing that M3 is faster around a track. Different tools for different purposes :)

Elon set the bar when he specifically said that the M3PD+ would be faster around a track than an M3 or any similar production car, that just didn't pan out. We can speculate all day what it would take for the M3PD+ to win that contest but Elon needs to stop making flamboyent statements that are easily proven false, it just makes the brand look bad.

I have stated this before in another post but when I stood in line for 4 hours (only to be 175th in line!) back in march of 2016 my wife loudly exclaimed "I don't want a battery powered car! WHAT IF I RUN OUT OF JUICE!) at the time she had a 2014 BMW 535d lease (3 years and turned it in with only 22k miles!) She had also told me that "nothing drives like a BMW!" her other quote "If I don't like it then its going to be your car!" fast forward to delivery day 4/26/18 5 minutes after driving away from the Costa Mesa delivery center "Honey, when are you getting yours?" 5 minutes after that "nothing drives like a Tesla!" and till today "why would anyone one want any other car?" or my favorite as I still have to drive a 3/4 ton truck that gets about 11 or 12 mpg for work, I commented to her "hey look at the price of fuel, its outrageous, its over $4 a gallon" and her reply was "oh I don't even look anymore"

TLDR; Biases can easily be changed!

Last edited:
GMO wheat is great, and grilled cockroaches are probably an excellent source of protein. It will be more like, "Well, Timmy, gas cars are the reason there's no more ice on Greenland or Antarctica, and Idaho and Tennessee are now coastal states."

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I do think the bias against electric is the biggest hurdle...

To be fair, the cost of batteries is a real issue. Also the charging infrastructure is far from mature. I've been driving electric for over a decade now, so obviously these things have not deterred me. But I can understand that they are real issues for a lot of people.

Where I think people are unreasonable is when a two-car family thinks that both cars have to be able to refuel in five minutes anywhere in the country.

I came from an RS5, and the other option I considered was a new S5 Sportback (fully loaded 2019). It was a tough, close call. Similar pricing between that and what I ended up with (factoring in tax credit and trade in differences).

“Bias against electrics” wasn’t a factor at all. My affinity for Audi (every car I’d ever owned) was. The more polished, ergonomic, comfortable interior of the S5 was. Same for features like the overhead cam view, proper blind spot monitoring, etc. Range anxiety, particularly for road trips (planning to do a long national park tour hopefully next year, for example), was a factor. Concern about the future of Tesla was definitely a factor (and still worries me sometimes).

On the other hand, eco-friendliness, fuel costs and never having to fill up, the crazy acceleration, EAP, promise of continued improvements including better Autopilot (and possibly FSD or at least closer), and wanting to invest in the future... Ultimatey led me to pick the P3D+. There are definitely things I wish it had from the Audi though. And I can totally see why someone else might go the other way on that decision.

To be fair, the cost of batteries is a real issue. Also the charging infrastructure is far from mature. I've been driving electric for over a decade now, so obviously these things have not deterred me. But I can understand that they are real issues for a lot of people.

Where I think people are unreasonable is when a two-car family thinks that both cars have to be able to refuel in five minutes anywhere in the country.

I agree that there are people who the charging infrastructure just won't support at this time. I just don't think it is as big an issue as most people think. 300 miles is a lot of driving in a day, even full time Uber drivers only hit about 200 miles a day.

I agree that there are people who the charging infrastructure just won't support at this time. I just don't think it is as big an issue as most people think. 300 miles is a lot of driving in a day, even full time Uber drivers only hit about 200 miles a day.
The range of an LR Model 3 probably covers 99% of all non-commercial drivers for daily driving. Factoring in road trips that is still probably 90%.

I own bimmers for a very long time. But my choice has change and tesla is my car of choice moving forward. Who knows what the future will hold but for now, i'm certain my next car after model 3 would be another Tesla for the wife.

GMO wheat is great, and grilled cockroaches are probably an excellent source of protein.... "

Actually, whole grains can easily supply all the protein you need, though we've been taught that we MUST have meat to live. I don't plan to eat a bowl of cockroaches then, any more than I do now. As I remember, it takes about ten times as much plant protein to get a pound of cow protein. But cockroaches are more crunchy.

I know people who have no garage and no way to charge at home. And until this summer, my annual hiking trip would not have been possible in an EV. The supercharger in Kelowna, BC, Canada finally made it possible, but there are still places off the main highways where the charging infrastructure has not reached.

Actually, whole grains can easily supply all the protein you need, though we've been taught that we MUST have meat to live. I don't plan to eat a bowl of cockroaches then, any more than I do now. As I remember, it takes about ten times as much plant protein to get a pound of cow protein. But cockroaches are more crunchy.

Partly true. Whole grains with legumes provide all the protein we need. Grains alone, not so much. Fortunately, I love beans.

I once bought a cricket bar. It tasted terrible. But there was so little cricket in it that I don't believe I was tasting the crickets. I think it was just a crappy-tasting bar that had some cricket powder added.