Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW 17.6.15 weird auto lock behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Firmware on my S85D AP1 was updated from 2.52.22 to 17.6.15 at the Service Center Friday 2-17-17. Since then my car auto-locks no matter what I do. With previous firmwares when I arrived home and safely tucked in my garage I could double press the key fob and the car would remain unlocked. After trying it 10's of times to repeat the behavior it now auto locks no matter what.

Amy one else observed this behavior with the latest firmware?

save you a little effort
cut and paste yourself a note, I just sent this in
(update the version number and other particulars to suit your car)

to: [email protected]

After the most recent software update for my car, now sitting at 8.1 version 17.11.10
(Non-autopilot car)

The car has changed its locking behavior and creates inconvenience.

Previously, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car would unlock and stay unlocked (as desired).
Now, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car unlocks but relocks itself after a minute.

IF the changed locking behavior was an intentional design change please reconsider.

save you a little effort
cut and paste yourself a note, I just sent this in
(update the version number and other particulars to suit your car)

to: [email protected]

After the most recent software update for my car, now sitting at 8.1 version 17.11.10
(Non-autopilot car)

The car has changed its locking behavior and creates inconvenience.

Previously, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car would unlock and stay unlocked (as desired).
Now, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car unlocks but relocks itself after a minute.

IF the changed locking behavior was an intentional design change please reconsider.

It can't be intentional since they didn't update the owners manual to document the how it now works.

I noticed something to day that might be related, but I am not sure if it is a recent change.

I was fooling around with my settings today because I was thinking of switching off the auto-present door handles, to save wear and tear. (I was prompted by a post that said that auto-present handles were no longer standard, which surprised me.)

While I was on the settings screen for the door locks, I decided to also try the setting to have only the driver's door unlock.

Here is what the Owner's Manual says (October 2016 version from MyTesla):
"You can choose whether you want all doors, or just the driver's door, to unlock when you approach your vehicle carrying your key. To do so, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Door Unlock Mode and choose Driver or All." (I verified that the same text is in the latest version of the manual in the car.)

I set it to Driver (only) and tested it by walking away until the door handles retracted and the lights flashed. When I walked back to the front passenger door and touched the handle, I expected it to not unlock. But all the door handles extended and i was able to open the door. . I re-locked the car with the key fob and tried again, same result.

So -- Is this new? Or did this option not work before? Or am I misunderstanding what it means to have only the Driver's door unlock?

Later, I also tried this test with the option set to have Auto Present handles ON. It that case, the behavior is as expected -- only the driver's handle extends. And, pressing on the other door handles does NOT open them, so they are truly still locked. I did not have a second person with me to test if the other doors remain locked once I am in the car. The lock indicator on the center display showed "Unlocked" but none of the other door handles were extended. Double-clicking the Lock symbol or clicking on the Park button extended the door handles (and presumably unlocked the other doors) as expected.

My conclusion is that the Driver's-door-only setting applies ONLY if you also select to turn On the Auto Present handles.

I sent a note to Tesla service to see if this is intended behavior. If it is, the manual needs to be clarified.

(One other conclusion from this is that I do not think I would like using the car with Auto Present off and the lock set to Driver only. There are too many times when I need to open other doors, and now I never have to touch my key. It would be very annoying to have to separately unlock the car every time I needed to open a back door or the trunk, or needed to allow a passenger to get in. I know this leads to faster wear and tear, but I have a lot of time left on the warranty! Knock on wood...)

Last edited: