Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD door issue after 8.0 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded my 90D to the 8.0 software yesterday. While everything else looks fine, I seem to have developed an issue with the driver side FWD detecting a false obstacle while closing. I can always override and close. However I have NEVER had an issue with the FWDs until the Software upgrade. Anybody else having the same issue? Would recalibration help? I have never had any issues with the car over the 3k miles I have had it.. ☹️

I am curious if reboot works, I thought I saw an early report (non 8.0) of a sensor failing/failed and causing false obstacle alarms.

On another question, in 8.0 if I override one FWDoor to open all the way in my garage, the message on the MCU screen shows as if both doors are set to open all the way. Does anyone know if the override is per side of the car or for both doors in one setting?

The other side does have an obstacle and needs to stop lower...

I am curious if reboot works, I thought I saw an early report (non 8.0) of a sensor failing/failed and causing false obstacle alarms.

On another question, in 8.0 if I override one FWDoor to open all the way in my garage, the message on the MCU screen shows as if both doors are set to open all the way. Does anyone know if the override is per side of the car or for both doors in one setting?

The other side does have an obstacle and needs to stop lower...
I do believe it's for both doors because the "always open fully at this location" button is on the top center, and when you press it both doors icon change to open fully.

I have an annoying problem (not related to 8.0) is that my doors only open in umbrella mode when parked outside my garage since my garage is too low for fully open. I don't know why it still opens in umbrella mode when it's summoned outside. I don't want to press always open fully at this location because it will do that inside the garage (based on the door icons) and so I don't want to risk doors damage.

I do believe it's for both doors because the "always open fully at this location" button is on the top center, and when you press it both doors icon change to open fully.

I have an annoying problem (not related to 8.0) is that my doors only open in umbrella mode when parked outside my garage since my garage is too low for fully open. I don't know why it still opens in umbrella mode when it's summoned outside. I don't want to press always open fully at this location because it will do that inside the garage (based on the door icons) and so I don't want to risk doors damage.

I believe that's because the location accuracy is probably about 10 or so meters so the car cannot distinguish whether it is inside or outside your garage.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I believe that's because the location accuracy is probably about 10 or so meters so the car cannot distinguish whether it is inside or outside your garage.
So it detects obstacles inside my garage and will continue to consider that irregardless there's no more obstacles outside? It's not like I performed any overrides based on location.

So it detects obstacles inside my garage and will continue to consider that irregardless there's no more obstacles outside? It's not like I performed any overrides based on location.

I did notice when it stops in umbrella mode, you can pull the open button one more time and it will open it all the way, that might be the way to overcome this without location specific "auto full open"..

Seems silly that they would not make that a per-door option....

Disclaimer: try this at your own risk...

@outie and @passcore I just went and tested my X FWDoors.
I overrode the passenger FWDoor, and set it to remember.
Then I went to the driver side FWDoor and opened it from the outside, it opened in umbrella mode.
I closed and opened the driver side FWDoor from the MCU and it went higher, but still stopped short of the garage door opener (which if I could just move another 4+ inches back, this whole thing would not be an issue for me at all).

The passenger side FWDoor still opened all the way.
Now, I am not sure if this is a fluke, or if it is in fact setting the override on a per door basis.

Either way, with the override (open to full) set for my location, the door still seems to "respect" obstacles in my small test case.

• Helpful
Reactions: outie
Disclaimer: try this at your own risk...

@outie and @passcore I just went and tested my X FWDoors.
I overrode the passenger FWDoor, and set it to remember.
Then I went to the driver side FWDoor and opened it from the outside, it opened in umbrella mode.
I closed and opened the driver side FWDoor from the MCU and it went higher, but still stopped short of the garage door opener (which if I could just move another 4+ inches back, this whole thing would not be an issue for me at all).

The passenger side FWDoor still opened all the way.
Now, I am not sure if this is a fluke, or if it is in fact setting the override on a per door basis.

Either way, with the override (open to full) set for my location, the door still seems to "respect" obstacles in my small test case.
So if you set to always fully open at this location, it will still (supposedly) stop if it detects obstacles? I might have to give that a shot.

I upgraded my 90D to the 8.0 software yesterday. While everything else looks fine, I seem to have developed an issue with the driver side FWD detecting a false obstacle while closing. I can always override and close. However I have NEVER had an issue with the FWDs until the Software upgrade. Anybody else having the same issue? Would recalibration help? I have never had any issues with the car over the 3k miles I have had it.. ☹️
I had the same problem this am after updating to V8 last night. A false obstacle detection on the driver side FWD when almost closed. No one and nothing in the second row. I never had this issue before in over 12K miles. I also did an override to close.

The door worked OK when I got home, so will watch and wait.

• Informative
Reactions: passcore
I had the same problem this am after updating to V8 last night. A false obstacle detection on the driver side FWD when almost closed. No one and nothing in the second row. I never had this issue before in over 12K miles. I also did an override to close.

The door worked OK when I got home, so will watch and wait.

Even in my case the door closes without the obstruction issue about 3/10 times. Reboot or recalibration did not work so I am probably going to get an SC appointment. I do have a few minor trim related stuff to fix so hopefully I can get all that done in one visit.

Version 8 seems to have removed some successful Model X door fixes that were implemented in 7.1. Since my last post the phantom obstacle on the driver side FWD has occurred twice. Tonight as I was getting in the car the driver's door closed on my left foot without warning. I now have a sore black & blue foot and am more than a little pissed.

Is it possible to revert to version 7.1?