TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gadget in forward-facing (non-mirrored) side of rear view mirror -- what is it?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by berkeley_ecar, Apr 6, 2017.

1. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

While experimenting with placing my FasTrak toll transponder, I noticed that on the driver's side of the rear view mirror, on the forward-facing side of the mirror, is a small recess just about big enough to put the tip of your small finger into (*not* that I am recommending that you do so! :) ). At the bottom of this well, there appear to be two distinct optical elements, which seem to be red or green at various times. Here are some rather dreadful photos (apologies for the poor focus, but it was very difficult to manipulate a phone cam in that spot, and I don't have a macro lens for it, either). What is this gadget? What purpose does it serve?
    2017_Tesla_Mirror_01.jpg 2017_Tesla_Mirror_02.jpg

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That's typically the auto-dimming mirror's light sensor

There's also usually another opposing one on the side of the mirror facing you. If you shine a really bright flashlight around the edges of the mirror, you may see it.

• Informative x 3