Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We have a 2017 S and still learning about it. Driving home tonight around dusk noticed that the passenger side view mirror seem to be tinted. Looked it up in the manual and it says the Driver's side mirror and the rear view mirror automatically dim in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you but there's no mention about the passenger side view mirror. Is this just a oversight in the manual? This is the mirror that I actually noticed (see below--notice the green tint edge in the upper left corner).

Side Passenger Mirror Tint - 1.jpg

Hubby said he honestly hasn't noticed our rear view mirror dimming so not sure if ours does or not. Did run across a few posts of people in the past saying their mirror dimmed but had stopped working and apparently from the manual this was an option on some models. Are the new 2017 MS equipped with all three dimming mirrors as a standard feature?

I read in a post that the sensor for the side view mirror dimming is located on the backside of the rear view mirror. Does any one know exactly where this sensor is located? We have a Blackvue installed and never considered something placed behind the mirror could possibly interfere with a sensor there. Couldn't find a reference to this sensor in the manual either.

BTW also read a post from someone who tinted their side windows and said they were having trouble seeing their side mirrors when auto dimming occurred. Something for people to keep in mind.

Last edited:
all 3 mirrors have the auto dim, there is no proper way to disable this feature and you cannot control it, a lot of other forum members have been disabling this by taping over the sensor in the rearview mirror, it isnt behind the rearview mirror. it is on the front side, about 1-2inch over from the top left.

i personally used a broadway mirror to cover the whole thing so it looks better than tape.