Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the thing: I have Tesla's Homelink module installed in one of my cars. It works about 90% of the time. Always works coming home, but leaving, maybe 1 out of 5 fails and I have to manually press the screen.

If it worked "every time" for me, I wouldn't be looking for other solutions.
Reprogram it?

Mine closes garage door before I’m out the driveway. It opens about 70 feet from entrance.

This has been a feature of model S since 2013/14. Clearly they have the tech from way back. Cash grab here but totally worth it. I never realized how much I missed it until I got our M3 and used the garage remote. Bought the tesla unit as it’s super practical.

I have my tailwind automatically shut the garage door after 30 minutes (though I've never forgotten to press the button on the wall next to the door going into the house.) It'll notify you on your phone if open/closed etc

I have a small inconspicuous NFC tag on the wall just outside the garage door so if I'm out in the front garden, walking the dogs or anything and the door is shut I just place my phone by it and the garage door will open - so I don't even need to unlock or open an app on the phone to open the door

My Tesla hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it does I'll take the little tailwind BT 'puck' out of my ICE and place it in the MY and the garage door will auto open and close when I approach and leave the house with the Tesla - no changes or updates or additional cost or anything.

I also have the tailwind linked to Alexa in the house with a routine to turn all the lights off, lock the front door and close the garage door at a certain time in case I actually have left them on or open.

Reactions: RatsFPV
Anyone find small clicker with one button?
I bought this keychain replacement and programmed to my garage door opener, then removed the metal ring in the remote and used double side tape to stick it in the front side of the center control lid. It is out of sight, right on my finger tips and fit perfectly. I'm satisfied with the results!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Reactions: edulinka
So It looks like the Y does not come with the ability to open a garage door that’s not connected to HomeLink? Away from using the clicker,are there any other options?
Was dissapointed a high tech car didn't come with something a $20k car comes with...garage door opener ability. Instead of doing the HomeLink ordeal I just used some velcro Command strips and placed the garage door opener on the left side of the center console toward the front. No one can see it and your legs don't come close to touching it. Essentially, you need to press a button anyway.

Was dissapointed a high tech car didn't come with something a $20k car comes with...garage door opener ability. Instead of doing the HomeLink ordeal I just used some velcro Command strips and placed the garage door opener on the left side of the center console toward the front. No one can see it and your legs don't come close to touching it. Essentially, you need to press a button anyway.
It’s becoming an option now on many cars. No manufacturer wants to pay the licensing fees to chamberlain (or ???) to include an opener that a good number of folks will never use.

Actually you can program the car to use GPS to auto activate the garage/gate so it saves a button press

The Chamberlain myQ system is great for controlling your door opener via phone app, but I found it a little annoying to have to open an app everytime I pulled up to my house. I just went old school and bought a small clicker to clip to my visor.

And that can be dangerous for several reasons, depending on your circumstances.
It does give a beep before activating it. So if one wants to disable it they can. I have programmed to open the garage door and close automatically. My side mirrors are also set to close on the driveway and open up after exiting the garage. I love the homelink. I live in a very safe community with single family homes. Most people have lived there more than 20 years so everyone knows everyone. I don't think it is dangerous in any way to use auto open and auto close of the garage door.