Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage size for Model S and Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
I'm building a new three car garage for my soon to arrive Model S (and also have a Model X on order).
I've noticed that the Model S is wider than most cars and the the Model X has the added challenge of height for the falcon wing doors.
I can make the garage any size and have the option of single doors or a single and a double.
I was wondering what your experience has been with the Model S and also speculation on a size for the Model X. What size garage doors and what ceiling height would be best?
For reference, Model S is 86" wide (77" with mirrors folded). Model X (speculation) is 93" high with doors open.

Tesla X Dimensions.png
Tesla S Dimensions.png

If the S is 86" wide then my garage door is only 90" wide.... and it's a PAIN to have only a couple inches to spare on each side. Go bigger on the door, at least 100" wide if you can otherwise you have to be very careful each and every time. (Unless the new Tesla will park itself for you?)

Heh heh. Your
I can make the garage any size
gives those of us who create GarajMahals an awful lot of creative freedom....

Lesseeee....one of my garages is 42' deep x 28' wide x 10' tall; another is 40' deep x 16' wide x 10' tall; a third is 26' deep x 36' wide x 8 1/2' tall...then there's a small one that's only 30' deep. Would one of those dimensions serve?

Heh heh. Your gives those of us who create GarajMahals an awful lot of creative freedom....

Lesseeee....one of my garages is 42' deep x 28' wide x 10' tall; another is 40' deep x 16' wide x 10' tall; a third is 26' deep x 36' wide x 8 1/2' tall...then there's a small one that's only 30' deep. Would one of those dimensions serve?
I think you win the garage contest.
However, I just need a garage for two Tesla's (and a third bay for toys, boat, etc.) so I don't think I'll be building something quite as large as any of your spaces.
I'm mostly concerned about the width of the door since the Model S (and presumably Model X) are such wide cars... I guess wider is better and it might be best to go with a double wide door to get room to maneuver.

In preparation for a Model S, I will be replacing two garage doors (in a 2 car detached garage) which are 8' wide with a new single garage door which is 17' wide.
Pretty good timing for me as the existing wooden garage doors are long in the tooth are the openers.
Will have to remove the center post between the doors and probably put in a new header and trim.
The additional foot of width will make pulling into the 2 car garage a lot more easy.
Will commence this project in the Spring and also run No 2 copper underground wire from the house to a new breaker panel in the garage/barn.
From the new breaker panel I will put a HPWC and a separate 220 NEMA 14-50 50A outlet plug (both with switched disconnects) so that I have a backup if either were to fail.

Once that is done, the garage/barn will be Tesla ready.

I'm building a new three car garage for my soon to arrive Model S (and also have a Model X on order).
I've noticed that the Model S is wider than most cars and the the Model X has the added challenge of height for the falcon wing doors.
I can make the garage any size and have the option of single doors or a single and a double.
I was wondering what your experience has been with the Model S and also speculation on a size for the Model X. What size garage doors and what ceiling height would be best?
For reference, Model S is 86" wide (77" with mirrors folded). Model X (speculation) is 93" high with doors open.

Here's my garage:
Untitled.jpg

I have a one door 18' wide by 8' high and we have easily parked two Model Ss in there without any problems and without folded mirrors. You need a minimum 17' of length to park Model S comfortably and still be able to get around the car. Don't forget that Model X will have door sensors to stop them hitting anything, and I'm guessing that the height can be set exactly the same way as the Model S trunk hatch; an 8' door will generally be about 8'6" above the floor when open.

Last edited:
You want at least 10' wide for each car. At 9' you could get in and out, but it won't be comfortable.

Normally single garage doors come in 8, 9, and 10' widths. 8' would be uncomfortable. 9' or 10' should be fine. 17' is enough for a double - but 18' is better. I would go at least 20' deep if you can.

33'-36' wide x 24' deep with an 18' and a 9' door if you can do it.

New garages are typically 120-132" high around here.

I have 8' garage doors, but they are only 95 inches after the trim. Without folding mirrors it is much too tense for my liking.
If I built I would use 9' doors and make each stall at least 11' wide on the inside - preferably 12.

My garage has a 10' ceiling, but the bottom of the garage door opener unit is only 8' ( 96 inches ) off the floor. That is uncomfortably close to the falcon doors when they open.

You want at least 10' wide for each car. At 9' you could get in and out, but it won't be comfortable.

Normally single garage doors come in 8, 9, and 10' widths. 8' would be uncomfortable. 9' or 10' should be fine. 17' is enough for a double - but 18' is better. I would go at least 20' deep if you can.

33'-36' wide x 24' deep with an 18' and a 9' door if you can do it.

New garages are typically 120-132" high around here.
This sounds like good advice. I think I'll go for 24 deep and 36 wide with a single 9' door and a double 18' door with 10' ceiling. That should do it.
Structurally, there may be a problem with a 24' span front to back and side to side behind the double door. It may require a post in the middle of the 24' x24' space. I'll have to talk to the engineer.

I'm jealous mspohr that you are still in the building stage and can adjust your garage footprint. I'm also happy for you.

I'm waiting for my mid-march delivery and I am worrying about my existing garage space. While it is a double car garage, what I'm concerned about is the depth which is only 20'. The Tesla will be the only vehicle so I have plenty of width. The Tesla 16' 4" length only gives me 2' 6" extra to work with in depth. I always thought my 2 car garage was a normal/average size until now. Now I see this space as just barely deep enough.

My HPWC will be mounted on the left wall just inside the door so there will be a short, direct path to the Tesla charge port when I park by driving straight in. I plan to park the Tesla with 6" from either the front bumper or the rear bumper. I want to walk past my Tesla with the garage door closed. Which end would you recommend I choose to park as close to the wall - the front wall or the garage door? Am I overthinking this? I think it would be easier to park with the front bumper 6" from the wall. I was thinking I'd glue a 2x4 to the floor where it would stop forward movement at just the right location but now I think something a little taller like a 4x4 would be safer if it was not too tall for the Tesla to clear. My Tesla has the ordinary suspension system and the 19" wheels.

I also have another concern about condensation from the battery conditioning system. The door into the house will be off the right front fender just a few feet. I remember reading that some condensate (I don't know how much) will be dropped on the floor. Do I need to attempt a solution at collecting this condensate because of its volume? Where does it drop? How far will it spread in the worst case scenario?

I'm looking forward to reading all comments. Thank you.

Mine is 21' deep, 35' wide, with 11.5' ceilings. Doors (3) are 9' (w) x 8' (h).

That is big enough to fit a crew cab, 6.5' bed pickup, with a foot or so of length to spare (although I do fold my mirrors on the rare occasions it goes inside). If the truck can fit, a Model S will be fine. The high ceilings let me put in a 2 post (non-clear floor) lift. 2 post clear floor lifts usually need 12 ft

For anyone interested in building a "garagemahal", don't forget to check out garagejournal.com. Lots of useful info there.

Mine is 21' deep, 35' wide, with 11.5' ceilings. Doors (3) are 9' (w) x 8' (h).

That is big enough to fit a crew cab, 6.5' bed pickup, with a foot or so of length to spare (although I do fold my mirrors on the rare occasions it goes inside). If the truck can fit, a Model S will be fine. The high ceilings let me put in a 2 post (non-clear floor) lift. 2 post clear floor lifts usually need 12 ft

For anyone interested in building a "garagemahal", don't forget to check out garagejournal.com. Lots of useful info there.
Thanks for this information.
Good to know that an 8' door is a good height. I plan on making it a bit deeper... 24'. I'll have to check on the interior height although I don't plan on installing a lift it would be good to have enough height. I plan on a room above the garage so may have to limit the overall building height.