Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The conversations in this section are usually a bit more cordial than the discussion in this thread over 2-3gb a month of data has been. Whether someone thinks that is a lot of data or not is a personal thing, but in the energy section, the discussions here are usually less adversarial and name calling.

Reactions: Janus
For what it’s worth, 2.5kB/s and 60kB/s would both be well over 2-3GB per month.

60kB/s x 60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour x 24 hours in a day x 30 days in a month = 155,520,000 kB/month / 1024 kB in a MB / 1024 GB in a MB = 148GB/month

Doing the same calculation for 2.5kB/s works out to 6GB/month

148GB/month is definitely pretty significant, although I have a hard time believing that the gateway is really sending that much data.

6GB/month is much less significant and probably more realistic.
Yup, each of the three quoted number was vastly different. Honestly, I don't think any of them is accurate.

The Gateway will routinely upload stats to the Tesla mothership. But that data ls limited to a very small sets (i.e. energy flow data). In all likelihood, unless someone is using dial-up or satellite internet, the bandwidth used by a Gateway is negligible. The only substantive data transferred would be the firmware updates.

• Disagree
Reactions: af88
The conversations in this section are usually a bit more cordial than the discussion in this thread over 2-3gb a month of data has been. Whether someone thinks that is a lot of data or not is a personal thing, but in the energy section, the discussions here are usually less adversarial and name calling.

Trolls are fact averse, full of opinions and assumptions. They have such high self esteem even if a fact slaps them in the face they still "think" they are right.

You can't do anything but laugh and ignore them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines and Janus
I am not able to share the datasheet yet, but could answer questions about it.

Hasn't it already been posted here? This is certainly quite a bit different (details and dimensions) than the EU Gateway 2 DS I have. Two curious differences I note are that the new DS specifically calls out primary and secondary connections instead of just lumping ethernet/WiFi/cellular together (the EU one also spelled out WiFi as 2.4 and 5GHz), and changed "Tesla App or Local Network Monitoring" to just "Tesla App", I hope it still has the local REST API, I was wondering if it's any different on the newer model.

I noticed the Backup Gateway 2 Installation manual is online now:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...erwall_2_AC_GW2_NA_EN_Installation_Manual.pdf

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Utahken and af88
I wonder how much it would be for those of us who want this gateway 2 to get a gateway 1 swapped for gateway 2. For me, it would be pretty much aesthetics, but I am willing to pay for that, at least up to a certain amount... and I am sure I am not alone in this regard.

I just had my install in January, chatted briefly with my wife about this, and showed her the picture of Gateway 2. We both agree it "looks better than the grey box" but when she asked me how much it would be to swap it, I told her I had no idea.. and tesla likely would be short supply on these for a while so it might be hard to get even if I wanted to. I suspect if they just removed my gateway 1 and put in the gateway 2 with the same setup, it would be 1-2 hours of labor + the part... but thats just guessing on my part.

@Vines how long do you think it would take, labor wise, for you to swap a gateway 2 in place where a gateway 1 was, and re connect everything the same (no additional cable runs, etc)?

I think a lot of it might depend on your situation and how and where your gateway is installed. But in watching them install my gateway 1 I feel like it would be a pretty involved switch. My gateway is sandwiched between my main panel and new critical loads panel (which has all my breakers since my whole house is backed up). There are four 1.5 or 2” conduits going into the gateway and quite a few pretty heavy gauge wires for my 200 amp service. The electricians really had to fight a bit with those wires to get them into the right shape to go through the conduits and connect where they were supposed to. I’m sure it would be possible to swap out the gateway, but in my case, at least, it wouldn’t be a very quick or easy job at all.

Frankly though, as far as aesthetics go, in my case I don’t have a problem with the gateway 1. Since it was installed by my panels and not by my powerwalls the grey box matches all the other panels around it. In my case the gateway 2 might be prettier, but it wouldn’t match the other panels around it.

I wonder how much it would be for those of us who want this gateway 2 to get a gateway 1 swapped for gateway 2. For me, it would be pretty much aesthetics, but I am willing to pay for that, at least up to a certain amount... and I am sure I am not alone in this regard.

I just had my install in January, chatted briefly with my wife about this, and showed her the picture of Gateway 2. We both agree it "looks better than the grey box" but when she asked me how much it would be to swap it, I told her I had no idea.. and tesla likely would be short supply on these for a while so it might be hard to get even if I wanted to. I suspect if they just removed my gateway 1 and put in the gateway 2 with the same setup, it would be 1-2 hours of labor + the part... but thats just guessing on my part.

@Vines how long do you think it would take, labor wise, for you to swap a gateway 2 in place where a gateway 1 was, and re connect everything the same (no additional cable runs, etc)?

If talking strictly about a swap in and swap out, with no new functionality, and no involved customer new desired to move things around. I'd assume about 4-8 worker hours that it would cost a company.

A worker sitting there with a new GW2 in his hands and only doing a simple physical installation with everything he needs already in front of him, could get it done in as little as 2 hours I think for the simple layouts. It sort of depends on the size of the GW feed and how much the guys have to play Tetris. Some time to commission things, cleanup maybe another hour total depending on connection.

200A feeds are significant, so there's a lot of variability depending on the actual install conditions, and especially available room.

Honestly I think Tesla needs an attachment kit to put the new door on the old Gateway lol. Even a nice vinyl decal that covered the GW2 would be 100% better for most people, and probably a much better value proposition.

I think a lot of it might depend on your situation and how and where your gateway is installed. But in watching them install my gateway 1 I feel like it would be a pretty involved switch. My gateway is sandwiched between my main panel and new critical loads panel (which has all my breakers since my whole house is backed up). There are four 1.5 or 2” conduits going into the gateway and quite a few pretty heavy gauge wires for my 200 amp service. The electricians really had to fight a bit with those wires to get them into the right shape to go through the conduits and connect where they were supposed to. I’m sure it would be possible to swap out the gateway, but in my case, at least, it wouldn’t be a very quick or easy job at all.

Frankly though, as far as aesthetics go, in my case I don’t have a problem with the gateway 1. Since it was installed by my panels and not by my powerwalls the grey box matches all the other panels around it. In my case the gateway 2 might be prettier, but it wouldn’t match the other panels around it.

Yeah, in my case, the gateway is maybe 6 feet from the powerwalls.
If talking strictly about a swap in and swap out, with no new functionality, and no involved customer new desired to move things around. I'd assume about 4-8 worker hours that it would cost a company.

A worker sitting there with a new GW2 in his hands and only doing a simple physical installation with everything he needs already in front of him, could get it done in as little as 2 hours I think for the simple layouts. It sort of depends on the size of the GW feed and how much the guys have to play Tetris.

200A feeds are significant, so there's a lot of variability depending on the actual install conditions, and especially available room.

Honestly I think Tesla needs an attachment kit to put the new door on the old Gateway lol. Even a nice vinyl decal that covered the GW2 would be 100% better for most people, and probably a much better value proposition.

Yeah, they should sell a door in the "tesla white (whatever paint code it is) along with the tesla logo on it for replacement on gateway 1. I would buy that literally as fast as I could enter my information into the online form to buy it.

What about a white and red vinyl wrap?

I'll take a look at our 2 different units and see if its feasible to do a door swap.
(EDIT) Right away I know they have totally different designs. You will have to attach the new to the old and have both hanging. Otherwise you will lose the waterproof rating, and that's important if outside, maybe not so much inside.

Last edited:
What about a white and red vinyl wrap?

I'll take a look at our 2 different units and see if its feasible to do a door swap.

Thats an idea as well.. in my case, the gateway is like 6 feet from the powerwalls so it would be nice if it matched in some way. The grey box is not "bad" but it would look "better" if it matched. If you come up with something let me know, I will keep my credit card handy :D

A couple new options in the Backup Gateway 2 allow for easier installation of more complex wiring configurations, as well as potentially fewer other panels required (sorry if this has been pointed out before and I missed it):

- There is now a second set of lugs on the line side of the transfer switch, for attachment of a feeder to a non-backed up panel. With my Backup Gateway 1, I had to use 3-conductor Polaris-style connectors on the incoming ungrounded feeder conductors in order to feed my non-backed up panel.

- There is provision for an internal six-space 100A panelboard, which can be fed either from those line side lugs or from one of the two pairs of load side lugs. So that internal 100A panelboard can play the role of either a non-backedup panel or a generation panel, if six spaces is enough.

Cheers, Wayne

Just looking up glass prices, it looks like a custom glass piece with some applied vinyl graphics would cost about $150 to have made in small quantities. Not a lot of room for profit unless people want these pretty badly.

Tesla sells the doors for just under a hundred, so any solution that looks very much like the GW2 is going to be a decent chunk. The GW2 door is quite heavy as well as not being quite large enough to cover the GW1 body

Someone on one of the threads here posted a photo of their two stacked powerwalls, back up load center and their GW1, both of the gray boxes had been painted white. Guessing with an enamel paint. Looked great and so much better than a gray box on the interior of the garage.

Found it, it was @charlesj . Here's his post with photo: Why is Tesla Solar so Inexpensive Compared to Others?

He used vinyl wrap, not paint. I was all set to try painting mine, but I dont have the patience to do a wrap job myself.

I agree his boxes look great!

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset