Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway updated to 21.20.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s interesting that it’s only on local interface. It’s easier to go out and flip the breaker than to log in to do the same thing.

It would make more sense to put it on the APP as that allows you to do it anywhere at anytime

I personally dont want it to be that easy to turn off power at my home (via the regular app). It should only work on the local interface, so someone has to be inside my home or on my internal network to do it.

Its bad enough that so many people are willing to input their tesla token into all sorts of 3rd party apps for their vehicle, when that same token likely would give access to their power systems too. Changing modes and such is one thing, but turning off power? I hope they never expose that to the regular app.

My gateway has cellular antennas on top. Doesn’t connect to my home network.
I had never been able to access the Gateway, and it turns out to be operator error. I hadn't done all the steps in
Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support
My gateway was communicating via cellular and/or ethernet through my router, but wifi wasn't setup through the router. Basically one needs to connect to the TEG network (which requires disconnecting from your usual house wifi network) using (for Gateway2) the password on a sticker inside the door of the gateway. Mu password was 10 letters long. Once connected to the TEG network, you can open a browser and go to 192.168.91.1. At that point one can see the graphics and see the Stop and Go Off Grid buttons, but there's more to do to make this accessible to your home network. Follow the rest of the instructions.

I personally dont want it to be that easy to turn off power at my home (via the regular app). It should only work on the local interface, so someone has to be inside my home or on my internal network to do it.

Its bad enough that so many people are willing to input their tesla token into all sorts of 3rd party apps for their vehicle, when that same token likely would give access to their power systems too. Changing modes and such is one thing, but turning off power? I hope they never expose that to the regular app.
Good point.

With that said, I also don't see any reason to have this feature available on the local network since it is easier to just flip the main breaker

Good point.

With that said, I also don't see any reason to have this feature available on the local network since it is easier to just flip the main breaker

As someone who has either performed, or managed customer service people basically my entire career, I usually think about these type of things from that perspective.

If I were to guess, I would say that, exposing this disconnect on the home network / TEG like this allows a customer service person to walk ANY powerwall customer through "turning the main breaker off and on again" from a "testing the system" perspective. Customers here on these forums (or any forums) tend to be a minority. Every home is different, and there are likely many (many) customers who have no idea which one of their "panels, subpanels, boxes with red beefy levers (disconnects) are the "right" one as it comes to a request from tier 1 support to "turn your main breaker off".

This allows everyone to have basically "the same experience" in relationship to a customer service person walking someone through logging onto the TEG, and doing the equivalent of flipping the main breaker.

That would be my guess as one big driver in having that button there.

If you test it again, try waiting until the Powerwalls are already powering the house. Then it should only take milliseconds instead of 2 seconds.

They do kick in nearly instantly when not in standby. I have tested in the past by opening the service disconnect. The issue here is not the time it took to kick in. It is that the power kept flickering off and on and off again. I only pushed the go off grid one time and the power went out and came back on 3 times until I pushed the go on grid button.

Tesla support got my system operational a couple days ago. I’ve since been able to use solar during the last 2 days to charge my Powerwalls to 100%. At that point I started exporting solar to the grid and my Powerwalls were in standby mode at 100%. I’m now on version 21.20.3 FWIW (last time I messed with this I was at 21.20.2). I pressed the GO OFF GRID button from the web UI and experienced the power flickering like @morph3ous mentioned. It happened back to back 3~ times for like a 5 second period of time and then it stabilized. The UI showed my home drawing power from the Powerwall, grid disconnected, and solar was standby/off. I let it run this way for 30 minutes or so and my Powerwall’s SOE went down to 95%. A single pole breaker tripped (master bedroom) in my main/load panel but otherwise the rest of the home was powered. AC was working, lights on, ceiling fans working, and I was cooking on an electric stove.

Also, my UPSs acted strangely; one of them thought the power was off, another one kept going back and forth between accepting power from the home and going on its own internal battery (this one has a display and showed 66 Hz output while on its battery mode). I’ve yet to read about using UPSs in conjunction with a Powerwall backed up home.

Reactions: morph3ous
Also, my UPSs acted strangely; one of them thought the power was off, another one kept going back and forth between accepting power from the home and going on its own internal battery (this one has a display and showed 66 Hz output while on its battery mode). I’ve yet to read about using UPSs in conjunction with a Powerwall backed up home.

there is a huge thread here:

TL;DR is that the PW signals to the inverter that there's nowhere for the energy to go by increasing the line frequency to 63+Hz (can't remember the exact number). this causes the inverter to shut off, but the powerwall has to stay at the higher frequency to prevent it from starting back up again (until the battery is depleted enough.)

you can call tesla to ask them to reduce this frequency, but there is a lower limit they won't go beyond.

there is a huge thread here:

TL;DR is that the PW signals to the inverter that there's nowhere for the energy to go by increasing the line frequency to 63+Hz (can't remember the exact number). this causes the inverter to shut off, but the powerwall has to stay at the higher frequency to prevent it from starting back up again (until the battery is depleted enough.)

you can call tesla to ask them to reduce this frequency, but there is a lower limit they won't go beyond.
Thank you, I’ll have a look at that thread. Sounds like I’d only experience that UPS issue while in backup mode at a high enough SOE of the Powerwalls that solar is disabled. That’s good to know.

Tesla support got my system operational a couple days ago. I’ve since been able to use solar during the last 2 days to charge my Powerwalls to 100%. At that point I started exporting solar to the grid and my Powerwalls were in standby mode at 100%. I’m now on version 21.20.3 FWIW (last time I messed with this I was at 21.20.2). I pressed the GO OFF GRID button from the web UI and experienced the power flickering like @morph3ous mentioned. It happened back to back 3~ times for like a 5 second period of time and then it stabilized. The UI showed my home drawing power from the Powerwall, grid disconnected, and solar was standby/off. I let it run this way for 30 minutes or so and my Powerwall’s SOE went down to 95%. A single pole breaker tripped (master bedroom) in my main/load panel but otherwise the rest of the home was powered. AC was working, lights on, ceiling fans working, and I was cooking on an electric stove.

Tesla had to adjust my maximum PW output to 61Hz which last I tested about a month ago gets to at about 98%. Before that, it was hitting 62.5% off grid at 80% SOC resulting in the inverter shutting down and my Insteon HA lighting devices to go nuts. I lost 7 of them the last time this happened. Granted those were older Insteon switches that couldn't handle the change in frequency as easily as the newer switches.

I'm testing it again today to make sure the update didn't blow away the custom settings.

Reactions: kairojya
I'm testing it again today to make sure the update didn't blow away the custom settings.
You can verify that here:

/api/site_info

look for:

"grid_code_overrides":[{"name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max","value":1}]

The "value" is the Hz above 60 during outage for inverter shut-off. Mine is 1 for 61 Hz, like yours should be.

You can verify that here:

/api/site_info

look for:

"grid_code_overrides":[{"name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max","value":1}]

The "value" is the Hz above 60 during outage for inverter shut-off. Mine is 1 for 61 Hz, like yours should be.

Looks like it's no longer set:

{"response":{"id":"<snipped>","site_name":"Home Energy Gateway","backup_reserve_percent":10,"default_real_mode":"autonomous","installation_date":"2020-10-19T11:40:06-07:00","user_settings":{"storm_mode_enabled":false,"sync_grid_alert_enabled":true,"breaker_alert_enabled":false},"components":{"solar":true,"solar_type":"pv_panel","battery":true,"grid":true,"backup":true,"gateway":"teg","load_meter":true,"tou_capable":true,"storm_mode_capable":true,"flex_energy_request_capable":false,"car_charging_data_supported":false,"off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_supported":true,"vehicle_charging_performance_view_enabled":false,"vehicle_charging_solar_offset_view_enabled":false,"battery_solar_offset_view_enabled":true,"solar_value_enabled":true,"energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled":true,"battery_type":"ac_powerwall","configurable":true,"grid_services_enabled":false},"version":"21.20.2","battery_count":3,"tou_settings":{"optimization_strategy":"balanced","schedule":[{"target":"off_peak","week_days":[6,0],"start_seconds":0,"end_seconds":54000},{"target":"peak","week_days":[6,0],"start_seconds":57600,"end_seconds":82800},{"target":"off_peak","week_days":[1,2,3,4,5],"start_seconds":0,"end_seconds":54000},{"target":"peak","week_days":[1,2,3,4,5],"start_seconds":54000,"end_seconds":82800}]},"nameplate_power":15000,"nameplate_energy":40500,"installation_time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_percent":90}}

Looks like it's no longer set:

{"response":{"id":"<snipped>","site_name":"Home Energy Gateway","backup_reserve_percent":10,"default_real_mode":"autonomous","installation_date":"2020-10-19T11:40:06-07:00","user_settings":{"storm_mode_enabled":false,"sync_grid_alert_enabled":true,"breaker_alert_enabled":false},"components":{"solar":true,"solar_type":"pv_panel","battery":true,"grid":true,"backup":true,"gateway":"teg","load_meter":true,"tou_capable":true,"storm_mode_capable":true,"flex_energy_request_capable":false,"car_charging_data_supported":false,"off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_supported":true,"vehicle_charging_performance_view_enabled":false,"vehicle_charging_solar_offset_view_enabled":false,"battery_solar_offset_view_enabled":true,"solar_value_enabled":true,"energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled":true,"battery_type":"ac_powerwall","configurable":true,"grid_services_enabled":false},"version":"21.20.2","battery_count":3,"tou_settings":{"optimization_strategy":"balanced","schedule":[{"target":"off_peak","week_days":[6,0],"start_seconds":0,"end_seconds":54000},{"target":"peak","week_days":[6,0],"start_seconds":57600,"end_seconds":82800},{"target":"off_peak","week_days":[1,2,3,4,5],"start_seconds":0,"end_seconds":54000},{"target":"peak","week_days":[1,2,3,4,5],"start_seconds":54000,"end_seconds":82800}]},"nameplate_power":15000,"nameplate_energy":40500,"installation_time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_percent":90}}
Strange. Mine shows this on 21.20.2:

{"max_system_energy_kWh":27,"max_system_power_kW":10,"site_name":"Powerwall","timezone":"America/Los_Angeles","max_site_meter_power_kW":1000000000,"min_site_meter_power_kW":-1000000000,"nominal_system_energy_kWh":27,"nominal_system_power_kW":10,"grid_code":{"grid_code":"60Hz_240V_s_UL1741SA:2019_California","grid_voltage_setting":240,"grid_freq_setting":60,"grid_phase_setting":"Split","country":"United States","state":"California","distributor":"*","utility":"Southern California Edison","retailer":"*","region":"UL1741SA-CA:2019","grid_code_overrides":[{"name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max","value":1}]}}

Are you sure you did /api/site_info ?

That may be because the PW inverter increased the frequency to 65 Hz, default, that shuts off the solar inverter when when batter is at 100% and UPS doesn't like that frequency
On mine Tesla reset the frequency to 61Hz and all is ok. My micro inverters shuts off at 60.5Hz.
may want to find out what frequency your solar inverter shuts off at and call Tesla to set your at .5Hz above.

Reactions: kairojya
Strange. Mine shows this on 21.20.2:

{"max_system_energy_kWh":27,"max_system_power_kW":10,"site_name":"Powerwall","timezone":"America/Los_Angeles","max_site_meter_power_kW":1000000000,"min_site_meter_power_kW":-1000000000,"nominal_system_energy_kWh":27,"nominal_system_power_kW":10,"grid_code":{"grid_code":"60Hz_240V_s_UL1741SA:2019_California","grid_voltage_setting":240,"grid_freq_setting":60,"grid_phase_setting":"Split","country":"United States","state":"California","distributor":"*","utility":"Southern California Edison","retailer":"*","region":"UL1741SA-CA:2019","grid_code_overrides":[{"name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max","value":1}]}}

Are you sure you did /api/site_info ?

curl --request GET --header 'Authorization: Bearer <token>' 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/energy_sites/<site_id>/site_info'

That may be because the PW inverter increased the frequency to 65 Hz, default, that shuts off the solar inverter when when batter is at 100% and UPS doesn't like that frequency
On mine Tesla reset the frequency to 61Hz and all is ok. My micro inverters shuts off at 60.5Hz.
may want to find out what frequency your solar inverter shuts off at and call Tesla to set your at .5Hz above.

My SE also shuts off at 60.5 Hz which I think is required of inverters in California.

I'm hitting the GW locally, you're getting it from the cloud.

Try: https://<PW_IP>/api/site_info

Doesn't connect. Can't even ping it locally....or do I need to connect to it peer to peer directly via wifi?

EDIT: worked fine logging in as installer peer to peer:

// https://192.168.91.1/api/site_info

{
"max_system_energy_kWh": 40.5,
"max_system_power_kW": 15,
"site_name": "Home Energy Gateway",
"timezone": "America/Los_Angeles",
"max_site_meter_power_kW": 1000000000,
"min_site_meter_power_kW": -1000000000,
"nominal_system_energy_kWh": 40.5,
"nominal_system_power_kW": 15,
"grid_code": {
"grid_code": "60Hz_240V_s_UL1741SA:2019_California",
"grid_voltage_setting": 240,
"grid_freq_setting": 60,
"grid_phase_setting": "Split",
"country": "United States",
"state": "California",
"distributor": "*",
"utility": "Pacific Gas and Electric Company",
"retailer": "*",
"region": "UL1741SA-CA:2019",
"grid_code_overrides": [
{
"name": "soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
"value": 1
}
]
}
}

Last edited:

Doesn't connect. Can't even ping it locally....or do I need to connect to it peer to peer directly via wifi?

EDIT: worked fine logging in as installer peer to peer:

// https://192.168.91.1/api/site_info

{
"max_system_energy_kWh": 40.5,
"max_system_power_kW": 15,
"site_name": "Home Energy Gateway",
"timezone": "America/Los_Angeles",
"max_site_meter_power_kW": 1000000000,
"min_site_meter_power_kW": -1000000000,
"nominal_system_energy_kWh": 40.5,
"nominal_system_power_kW": 15,
"grid_code": {
"grid_code": "60Hz_240V_s_UL1741SA:2019_California",
"grid_voltage_setting": 240,
"grid_freq_setting": 60,
"grid_phase_setting": "Split",
"country": "United States",
"state": "California",
"distributor": "*",
"utility": "Pacific Gas and Electric Company",
"retailer": "*",
"region": "UL1741SA-CA:2019",
"grid_code_overrides": [
{
"name": "soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
"value": 1
}
]
}
}
Great!

Here's another local one you might like: /api/system_status

Shows the capacity of your batteries among other things...