Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEICO Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been with Allstate forever (since about 1975; I'm 61 now). Was given a quick quote adding a Model 3 to my family policy (with 3 other vehicles [2000 BMW 3-series, 2002 Honda Odyssey, 2011 Nissan Murano] and 2 other drivers [wife and 26 y.o. daughter]) which was an additional $635/6 months w/$500 deductible (about $100 less if $1000) and driving it about 11,000 miles per year.

Asked Geico to quote me on just a Model 3 and they came back with $530.78/6 months with the following coverage:
  • Bodily injury liability $100,000/$300,000
  • Property damage $50,000
  • Uninsured motorist $30,000/$60,000
  • Comprehensive $1,000 deductible
  • Collision $500 deductible
Under discounts, they applied CA good driver, specified "Professional Group Insurance Plan" (not sure exactly what that is), Subclass factor (???), anti-theft device and "new car". For drivers it was myself and my wife. I would assume that including my daughter would increase the premium.

Progressive quoted $772.80/6 months. Coverage:
  • Liability (BI/PD) $100,000/$300,000
  • Uninsured $100,000/$300,000
  • Comprehensive $1,000 deductible
  • Collision $1,000 deductible
Seeing as Geico and Progressive are either about the same or more than Allstate (if I go with $1000 deductible), and both only quoted me for the Tesla and not my other vehicles, I think I'll be sticking with Allstate.

I can only comment on Allstate. Recent conversations two weeks ago with the local office staff about adding the Tesla and last year about adding the Murano was quick, friendly and seemingly helpful. They juggle drivers around to (supposedly) save me money on the premium. I'm getting rid of a 95 Jeep before the Tesla comes onboard and I suggested that they move my daughter to the Murano, which is actually "her" vehicle. The agent said that since it was the newest vehicle, putting her on it would be more expensive than if she was assigned to the Odyssey. They say it doesn't matter if/when we submit a claim since all drivers on the policy are able to drive any one of the cars. The only recent claim I had was handled smoothly - it was a very minor item. My windshield had had a small crack for about two years. It grew an inch or so during that time. I finally decided to get it replaced and called them. All I had to do was let them know which shop I was going to use and then pay the $100 deductible to the shop. They handled everything else. I can't remember having any problems with the other claims we've had over the years. B&E (busted window and stolen purse) on the Jeep several years ago, driver-less newspaper delivery car slowly backing up into one of our cars that was parked on the street, wife getting rear-ended in the Odyssey, several other windshield replacements. Maybe it's because our family (my parents) has been insured with Allstate since at least 1962 with the same office.

We pay about $115 a month. $1 million liability / $500 deductible.

The model 3 is not much more expensive than the volt actually.

I'm with Ameriprice (Costco) - Model 3 was a little cheaper than Volt. Insane - but that is I think because of MSRP being $35k (remember LR is an option !).

I don't have $1M liability, but my 6 month was like $250.

Los Angeles resident. I was with State Farm for decades and decided to look around because insurance laws have change in CA and rates going up. Called GEICO and got a killer deal on auto for my two non-Tesla vehicles. Saved 40%. At the time, late March, they quoted me $94/month for a Model 3. My insurance coverage is maxed for most categories.

I will be taking delivery of the Model 3 soon and called GEICO about adding it to my policy. Now, May 15, the rate is $147 per month. I still had their quote for $94/month but it was long-past the two-week period they are valid for.

Called Liberty Mutual after visiting InsureMyTesla. The rate for the Model was around $250/month. The rate for my existing two vehicles was almost what I paid GEICO for a six-month premium.

I didn't check Progressive but I wanted to share my experience thus far.

I'm currently with Geico, for 100/300 injury, 500 deductible, Geico was $150 per 6 months more expensive than Amerprise and $240 pe r6 months more than Progressive.

Interestingls, Progressive was ~10% cheaper on homeowners, even though both Geico and Progressive use use homesite for that portion.

• Love
Reactions: LadyMacbrat
Also make sure the insurance companies know you have the long range, otherwise they might only have you down for the $35k base model. Give Wawanesa a try in if you are in California and have a good driving record.

I was with Wawanesa for over 10 years and their rates were good but once I got the M3 I switched over to Geico. The premium was only $10 cheaper for 6 months, but Wawanesa has drop coverage, when someone else drives the car or if someone other than the policy holder drives outside CA, the coverage drop to state minimum. But Geico doesnt have that so I made the switch. Currently I have 3 cars on the policy and paying the M3 (10k/yr miles set as primary car) is $450 for 6 mos. (100k/300k with 100k liabiility, 50/100 uninsured and $500 ded for both comprehensive and collision.)

• Informative
Reactions: Fusion
I've been with Geico last 10+ years. For my gf and I with a 2013 civic and Model 3, we're paying $1285 for 6 months, which wasnt bad since adding the model 3 only added about $450 or so.

500k/1mil bodily
100k propery
5k medical
300/500k uninsured
$50 comp deduct on both model 3 and civic
$500 collision on civic
1k collision deduct on model 3 (primarily because my GAP insurance on my loan covers two deductible reimbursements a year up to 1k each, GAP was additional $350 for the next 5 years, well worth if I do 1 claim)
Emergency Road side
Rental Reimburse

I was with Geico when I totaled my car and they are responsive and did everything smoothly. No issues with them, so far.

Geico here. M3 is our 3rd car atm (2 drivers)
300k/100k/300k coverage
$500 deduct Collision /$500 deduct Comprehensive

$318 every 6 months
curious what you put as yearly miles estimate for this rate?

All the numbers people throw varies depending on how many miles you put on your car (and a bunch of other factors), so it'd be helpful if you can include that when you're sharing the insurance details. THanks!

Last edited:
I have been with GEICO for years. Live in rural Riverside county. Got a quote for model 3/15K miles per year with max coverage on every option, Quote was $100 per month. I will stay with GEICO.
Same here. My quote was $550 for 6 months. I live in the same area. I'll stick with GEICO.

Progressive could not compete with Geico particularly in our area for sure.

before we cancelled our 3 reservation in February, Geico was the cheapest quote at just under $175/month - married, live and own a home in Seattle, no accidents, have been Geico customers for 14 years. We were kinda shocked by this, and lame-o Acura RDX we ended up getting instead costs us like only $105/month.

$458.35 / 6 mos @ StateFarm; dropped about $50 for the 6 month from my BMW 335xi lease.

********************************************************************************************************************

Liability Coverage
Each Person, Each Accident, Property
$100,000 / $300,000 / $100,000
$162.86 / 6 mos

Personal Injury Protection Coverage
$39.72 / 6 mos

Comprehensive Coverage - $0 Deductible (set to $0 coverage glass replacement; a common issue for me on my travels)
$42.34 / 6 mos

Collision Coverage - $1,000 Deductible
$153.49 / 6 mos

Emergency Road Service Coverage
$4.20 / 6 mos

Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage
80% $1,000
$9.89 / 6 mos

Underinsured Motor Vehicle Coverage

Bodily Injury Limits
Each Person, Each Accident
$100,000 $300,000
$43.96 / 6 mos

Underinsured Motor Vehicle Property Damage Coverage
Limit - Each Accident
$100,000
$1.89 / 6 mos

curious what you put as yearly miles estimate for this rate?

All the numbers people throw varies depending on how many miles you put on your car (and a bunch of other factors), so it'd be helpful if you can include that when you're sharing the insurance details. THanks!

Honestly, I don't remember and I can't find anywhere on GEICO site to see what was previously entered, but I probably entered a low number (<3k). In part because, currently, it really is the 3rd car that will barely get driven (We've had it for almost 2 months and it has 300 miles on it lol). Still have a few months remaining on 2nd car's lease, so we're just piling up the miles on it before returning it.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan