Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico & Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to recalibrate if the camera assembly is a. not unplugged, just dettached from old and reattached to new b. no EAP, FSD enabled used provisioned.

Its unneccesary for anything but EAP, FSD. Self calib will work itself out over first 60-120 miles if needed.

Only Tesla should replace the windshield because then the cameras need to be recalibrated.

I thought the same thing, but shortly after I requested a service appointment to have the cameras recalibrated at Tesla after getting Safelite to replace my windshield, Tesla told me the Model 3 cameras "self-calibrate" and no appointment was necessary. They were right - everything worked as it should.

There definitely is aftermarket glass available. Safelite quoted that here in Seattle. I ended up having it replaced with OEM glass at Tesla and no recalibration was needed. Cost was 1200 installed. Tesla (Seattle) actually has a local glass shop do the install at the Tesla facility.

Yup- same thing here with USAA.... they use safelite- but safeline here doesn't do Tesla- so I told USAA I had to take it to Tesla and they said go ahead and send us the bill, then they sent me a check for full amount.

Could you use also use a Tesla certified body shop?

A S owner showed me a Tesla SC replacement it was terrible, glue was showing..

I thought the same thing, but shortly after I requested a service appointment to have the cameras recalibrated at Tesla after getting Safelite to replace my windshield, Tesla told me the Model 3 cameras "self-calibrate" and no appointment was necessary. They were right - everything worked as it should.

That's interesting because initially Tesla stated that the cameras would need to be recalibrated, so apparently something has changed.

Gieco preferred vendor is Safelite but they don't seem to work on Tesla here in Los Angeles. In order for me to get Tesla to repair it, I would have to pay any labor over $40 per hour. Service center rate is $190/hr and they need 2 hours so I'm paying 300 to get my windshield replace!

Anyone else in the same boat here in LA?
I am now apparently in the same boat in NY and GEICO told me the same thing about labor rate of $40/hour.
If you were able to get GEICO to cover your entire replacement/repair bill, please let me know and I'd like to build the case that the precedence was set that they cover the repair wholly.
Please help.
Thanks.

Weird. Although totally in-line with everyone on this forum having different experiences with the exact same stuff when it comes to these cars.

got my windshield replaced at safelite, but had to wait a week for them to get the glass from the Tesla dealership.

Has Steve said, I didn’t have any problems with the cameras. They didn’t mess with them, and I didn’t need any sort of recalibration after the windshield replacement.

Reactions: Hot Cha
There definitely is aftermarket glass available. Safelite quoted that here in Seattle. I ended up having it replaced with OEM glass at Tesla and no recalibration was needed. Cost was 1200 installed. Tesla (Seattle) actually has a local glass shop do the install at the Tesla facility.
How big was your crack/ did you try to get it repaired first? I feel like i hear pebbles hit me every time I drive on I-5 and finally had one chip my windshield about 2 in. across. I was thinking of trying repair first since Geico covers that for free but not sure if Tesla offers repairs or only replacement.

They have covered me completely when I was rear ended. I also got them to pay out a diminished value claim. I am literally asking if Tesla repairs or if they only do replacements... what are you talking about?

Were you a Geico customer, or only hit by one? There have been plenty of posts here and on Reddit from people bemoaning how Geico tries to cut corners on repairing Teslas properly when the vehicle is insured by Geico.

How big was your crack/ did you try to get it repaired first? I feel like i hear pebbles hit me every time I drive on I-5 and finally had one chip my windshield about 2 in. across. I was thinking of trying repair first since Geico covers that for free but not sure if Tesla offers repairs or only replacement.

Mine was actually a double chip (rock skipped and hit twice an 1/2 inch between). It didn’t crack at all. I did try a repair but wasn’t happy with the result (the repair shop warned me that the two chips that close may not allow for an acceptable repair). So I had the window replace to avoid looking at the defect in the middle of my windshield.

I’m having a related issue with Geico, Safelite and glass replacement here in SoC. As expected Geico won’t cover Tesla’s costs (reimburse up to $750 or so minus your deductible whatever that is), and I was fine going with Safelite since they supposedly only have Tesla OE glass available and you would only be required to pay the deductible.

I show up at the appt and they tell me they have aftermarket glass available. They weren’t kidding. This is the first I’ve ever heard of aftermarket glass for the Model 3.

upload_2020-5-14_11-31-25.jpeg

upload_2020-5-14_11-31-42.jpeg

upload_2020-5-14_11-32-59.jpeg

I’m not sure what to do anymore. I’m trying to see if I can get it done at Safelite with OE glass but only pay my deductible.

EDIT: doing more digging and It looks like Fuyao has the contract to make OE glass for Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai. If that’s the case the only downside would be the Fuyao logo instead of the Tesla logo. Might even be better quality? Lol

Fuyao to Provide Glass to Tesla's Shanghai Factory

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
EDIT: doing more digging and It looks like Fuyao has the contract to make OE glass for Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai. If that’s the case the only downside would be the Fuyao logo instead of the Tesla logo. Might even be better quality? Lol

Fuyao to Provide Glass to Tesla's Shanghai Factory

Interesting.. they have a documentary on Netflix as well.

It should be ok, I don't see a problem. I have 0 deductible so I didn't mind spending some $$ for OEM glass.. I don't want to deal with the hassle of any issues.