Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 door handle buzzing/squealing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla peeps smarter than me, I’ve got a rear door handle acting up. A high pitched whine coming from the handle assembly. It had been intermittent, leaving the door handle extended partly then last night it went in, stayed in and constant whine (see video). Car off, reset with scroll wheels, locked/unlocked, it would not stop. I ended up pulling the door panel and unplugging the door handle control module.

Details:
2018 Model S 75D
Gen 3 door handles (so no micro switches and improved gear).
Left rear handle only.

I’m wondering if it’s maybe the control module, magnetic angle switch on the door handle, calibration issue, or maybe BCM (or software issue). Don't think it's the control module as I pulled the RH door module and tried that, no change, still squealing.

Anyone have anything like this, or heard of this?
Out of warranty and closest service center is about 100 mile away. I would like to fix this myself if I can figure what’s really wrong.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ACS.
My left rear did the same thing; but it would only do it after it rained, and the handle wouldn't fully present or retract. It kept getting worse to the point where it would constantly open the door on its own. I'd have to hold the door shut and hit the lock button on the key. I had to have the whole gen 3 assembly replaced.

Tesla peeps smarter than me, I’ve got a rear door handle acting up. A high pitched whine coming from the handle assembly. It had been intermittent, leaving the door handle extended partly then last night it went in, stayed in and constant whine (see video). Car off, reset with scroll wheels, locked/unlocked, it would not stop. I ended up pulling the door panel and unplugging the door handle control module.

Details:
2018 Model S 75D
Left rear handle only.

I’m wondering if it’s maybe the control module, magnetic angle switch on the door handle, calibration issue, or maybe BCM (or software issue). Don't think it's the control module as I pulled the RH door module and tried that, no change, still squealing.

Out of warranty and closest service center is about 100 mile away. I would

Details:
2018 Model S 75D
Left rear handle only.

I’m wondering if it’s maybe the control module, magnetic angle switch on the door handle, calibration issue, or maybe BCM (or software issue). Don't think it's the contr

Details:
2018 Model S 75D
Left rear handle only.

Out of warranty and closest service center is about 100 mile away. I would like to fix this myself if I can figure what’s really wrong.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

2015 Model S door actuator stopped working a month ago. I replaced it with another one today. At first few tests other new one did not release either! I sent a service request on the Tesla App explaining the problem and situation. The door handle module was upgraded in 2021. Things were working up until a few months ago.
I went to the main screen and put the car into service mode. Then exited service mode. I tried the door and it opened. It worked many times. I was curious about the old existing actuator so I reinstalled the old one and it worked! Next I installed the new one again and it worked again and again. Woohoo, success! As well I had not yet received a response from Tesla service. I then cancelled my service request. Within an hour I went for a 25 km drive and went to open the rear left door again and it has not worked since!! I will keep an open mind and try again to find a solution. I have reset the main screen many times. If any body with relevant information can chime in it will be much appreciated.

Details:
2018 Model S 75D
Left rear handle only.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

The only thing that would make that noise is a stalled handle motor.

I can find the part number (#24 below) for the front door motor on Tesla's part catalog but can't find one for the rear doors which seems strange. I would assume that they are the same part though. Designated as an Over the Counter part so you should be able to order it. Can probably be found on Ebay.

Door_Handle.jpg