Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're all on 0.8.58. For most of us, the problems didn't show up until a month after charging with no issues at all. We assumed it was the firmware, which changed to 0.8.58 around that time, but may it just be something internal wearing out over time? I have a replacement unit but haven't charged much since I got it, maybe 4 times and never longer than 1.75 hours, so the jury is still out for me on the replacement. But others have had their replacement fail after about the same time -- a month or so -- and they were on 0.8.58 charging just fine for that month until it failed with the same 3 red blinks. So please watch your charge rate and make sure it's not slipping to half charge after an hour. If it is, go look at the unit and you'll see the dreaded 3 red blinks, and get Tesla to replace it until they get it right.

Tesla told me that is was some units that could not update the firmware.Those are the ones that are being replaced.
Also, for you all that have not received the replacement I did some experimenting and you can up the charge from half to about 3/4 of the original charge. For instance if you age charging at 40 amps and you get this issue try charging at 30 amp instead of the 20 amps it drops to. I was able to go higher than that but at least it is better that half. Tech support says it is fine to do that.

I got the same issue now with my Gen 3.

Purchased end of July, worked great for 5 weeks. Sunday started the 3 red blinks, trip down to 24amps.

Sent an email to charger support on Tuesday, no ones replied yet.

How long did it take people to get a replacement or to hear back from Tesla on the issue?

I got the same issue now with my Gen 3.

Purchased end of July, worked great for 5 weeks. Sunday started the 3 red blinks, trip down to 24amps.

Sent an email to charger support on Tuesday, no ones replied yet.

How long did it take people to get a replacement or to hear back from Tesla on the issue?
Don't email, call them. It takes one week from California to South Florida. Until you get your replacement try bumping up your amps (on the car display) from 24 to something higher, like closer to 30amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bednarz42
I would not wait any longer call back and tell them it's still happening and you want an update. Because I waited a month before I called back and they said oh they were supposed to send it out but they didn't it must have slipped between the cracks they said. So knowing what I know I would not wait any longer and I would call them at least once a week to get an update.