Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector power sharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did you set as the maximum total current? If they share a 60A circuit, it should be 48A. It takes about 10 minutes for a single unit to ramp up to the maximum current when the other one is not charging, and even when only one is charging, the current seems to drop and come back up every half hour or so.
Set to 48A. It's fairly consistent behavior, it'll max out at 42A if both cars are plugged in and one car is charged. Can hit 48A if I unplug the other car

I noticed when both cars are plugged in, the max one will pull is 42A even if the other is done charging. Is this the expected behavior?
I think so. I remember that the J1772 communication spec has to allocate 6A as a minimum for some reason, and the Tesla connectors do it too. So you will see that, where the car that has stopped charging still seems to have 6A subtracted for it, even when it's not using it.

Set to 48A. It's fairly consistent behavior, it'll max out at 42A if both cars are plugged in and one car is charged. Can hit 48A if I unplug the other car
I guess the algorithm is being extra careful not to go over the limit and maybe that's also why it ramps up slowly when it starts charging. Maybe there are scenarios where one car starts charging before the other one knows about it... In my case, the two TWCs are on separate 60A circuits and I set the limit to 60A total, 48A individually, and they get right up to 48A if the other car is plugged in but not charging. I'm using the feature just to ensure that I don't blow the main breaker on the panel.

I guess the algorithm is being extra careful not to go over the limit and maybe that's also why it ramps up slowly when it starts charging. Maybe there are scenarios where one car starts charging before the other one knows about it... In my case, the two TWCs are on separate 60A circuits and I set the limit to 60A total, 48A individually, and they get right up to 48A if the other car is plugged in but not charging. I'm using the feature just to ensure that I don't blow the main breaker on the panel.
Gotcha. I have mine going to a subpanel, supplied by a 60A circuit, so I need to limit it to 48A total. Might eventually upgrade that wiring, but it'd be a bit of a pain for not a whole lot of gain.

Reviving this thread as there seems to be a lot of knowledge here.

The Tesla Gen3 HPWC power sharing page now contains these two sentences (underline mine):

"By intelligently managing available power on a given circuit, power sharing allows a single electrical circuit to support multiple Gen 3 Wall Connectors while still ensuring your electric vehicles get a sufficient charge."

"Note: In the event that your leader and followers have different circuit breakers, you have to individually connect to each of the followers on different breakers via the Wi-Fi broadcast, and then set the correct breaker limit."

The installation guide doesn't appear to have been updated in a while as it still shows the two cable length options as 8.5' and 18'. Plus it references that power sharing will be available in a future software update. Would be nice if these documents had revision dates.

I spoke with my Tesla certified electrician today (who installed my existing Gen3 HPWC) and we talked through the above information. He said that there is no rational or code violation reason that I could not run two Gen3 HPWC off of a single 60amp circuit breaker connected through a Polaris connector.

Does this sound correct?

Reviving this thread as there seems to be a lot of knowledge here.

The Tesla Gen3 HPWC power sharing page now contains these two sentences (underline mine):

"By intelligently managing available power on a given circuit, power sharing allows a single electrical circuit to support multiple Gen 3 Wall Connectors while still ensuring your electric vehicles get a sufficient charge."

"Note: In the event that your leader and followers have different circuit breakers, you have to individually connect to each of the followers on different breakers via the Wi-Fi broadcast, and then set the correct breaker limit."

The installation guide doesn't appear to have been updated in a while as it still shows the two cable length options as 8.5' and 18'. Plus it references that power sharing will be available in a future software update. Would be nice if these documents had revision dates.

I spoke with my Tesla certified electrician today (who installed my existing Gen3 HPWC) and we talked through the above information. He said that there is no rational or code violation reason that I could not run two Gen3 HPWC off of a single 60amp circuit breaker connected through a Polaris connector.

Does this sound correct?
I also inferred from everything I've read that you can safely split the two HPWCs with a Polaris, then adjust accordingly in the software to say that they're sharing the same breaker/circuit.

I've also seen plenty of videos on YouTube of Gen 2 HPWCs wired up in the same fashion using power sharing.

Does this sound correct?
That conflicts with the installation instructions in the Gen3 wall connector product manual.

Every one needs to have its own breaker on the Gen3. This is different from the instructions for the Gen2 wall connectors:

...which offered either option of breakering each one, or of tying the power feeds together with Polaris connectors, as you mentioned.

The reason for this difference is in how the amp configurations were done in sharing. With the Gen2 ones, there was only one amp level. That went to the one designated "master", and you selected the switch inside for that. The other units were designated "slave", but had to have the same capable wiring.

With the Gen3, you can set the circuit level for each unit separately, and they can all be different, so you could have six units, and maybe use thick wire for full 60A circuits for two of them, and then use thinner wire for four others that are set for 30A, but all still work together to stay within the level of the main source supply. So that needs to have the setting and the breaker set right for each one.

“That conflicts with the installation instructions in the Gen3 wall connector product manual.”

Right, that’s why I posted. It seems the website has been updated more recently than the manual.

My electrician has reached out to Tesla for clarification and I’ll update once he hears back.

“That conflicts with the installation instructions in the Gen3 wall connector product manual.”

Right, that’s why I posted. It seems the website has been updated more recently than the manual.
Eh? It sounds like the opposite of that to me. That page sounds like old outdated information, since it mentions Polaris connectors. Those were allowed on the Gen2, but not on the Gen3. Or I guess it could be said another way, that it mentions "if" you are using Polaris connectors, which is covering the possibility that it's talking about Gen2 wall connectors, which were allowed to do that.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 4.43.48 PM.png
Read this thread and just figured I would update. The latest version of the Gen 3 install guide has drawings directing each of the Chargers sits on its own 60A breaker, regardless of whether a sub panel is used.

Reactions: SagarPatel
View attachment 1021183Read this thread and just figured I would update. The latest version of the Gen 3 install guide has drawings directing each of the Chargers sits on its own 60A breaker, regardless of whether a sub panel is used.
That's how the gen 3 manual always was. The universal wall connector shows a diagram for the single branch circuit

1708725017525.png