Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 "BlueStar" 4-door sedan styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the time Bluestar is out, Nissan will be on its second gen Leaf; maybe even the Infiniti EV will be out. Perhaps the iMIEV will also be on its second gen. The planned EVs in the pipe line (Focus EV, ActiveE etc) will all be out for a couple of years.

I'm not sure it's that good of an idea not to bundle some luxury into what will likely be a $30+k car, esp. when other competitors can likely undercut Tesla in price. Tesla might be more successful if they continue to approach it from a luxury angle (except this time it's entry level luxury). There's danger in too much cost cutting that might ruin your image (that's what happened to the US automakers), which actually ends up costing the company more.

I also read a Leaf review recently and it said the reason why they liked it was that even though it was a $30k car, it actually is equipped like a $30k car. In contrast, they said the iMIEV was more like a $10k car with $20+k of battery/EV technology hacked in. The car as a whole doesn't feel like it is worth $30-40k.

toyota-ft-hs-concept.jpg

From this article:

Chief designer Franz von Holzhausen says the Model S has a conventional “face” and proportions—never mind that freakish width—to make customers who might be cross-shopping the car against a BMW or an Audi more comfortable with the Tesla. Once the brand is established, he hopes to push the design more to take advantage of the unconventional powertrain, and “expand the notion of what a car is supposed to look like.”

This is what I'm hoping for.

ModelC.png

1000 lbs lighter than the Model S.
Improved Cd over the Model S. (0.21)
30 kWh - 160 mile range (base model)
Seats 4 (Cabin's length and height remain the same as the Model s)

True, but giant wheels and giant wheel wells look better. They're actually the same size as what's on the Model S currently. I figure you can improve the Cd just by removing the side mirrors and reducing the width of the car. Not sure if reducing the length really matters. The purpose of that would be to reduce the weight and differentiate it from the Model S. You're got to justify the additional cost of the Model S somehow. By limiting the passengers to only 4 it would appeal to an entirely different kind of customer. Younger and more budget conscious.

Drag is CdA, where A is area. Reducing the width will reduce A, which helps. They can't remove the side mirrors, they are required by law. I would love to see them try to change the law, but I bet ICE manufacturers fight them and it will take a long time.
By having the same size wheels on a smaller car - the Cd will go up, not down - because more of the car is wheel well.
Without improving aerodynamics and rolling resistance you are not going to get 160 miles out of 30kWh.
The biggest aerodynamic flaw of the current Model S is the giant wheels.

Good to know... Since the Model S has 19 and 21 inch wheel options. I've shrunk it for 17 & 19 inch wheels.

ModelC2.png

Looks good. I don't know if limiting it to 4 passengers would be a good idea though. That would limit the market as many people expect a 5 passenger sedan (even if the back seats are tiny) even when they usually drive alone.

Looks good. I don't know if limiting it to 4 passengers would be a good idea though. That would limit the market as many people expect a 5 passenger sedan (even if the back seats are tiny) even when they usually drive alone.

I expect a 5 passenger vehicle too (the 4 passenger aspect of the Volt has been a deal-breaker for some people, esp in terms of ability to install a child seat in the middle). I'm thinking something in the subcompact class (like the Versa, A3 if looking at luxury) is the most practical size, although I do know Tesla has aimed at 3-series.

I expect a 5 passenger vehicle too (the 4 passenger aspect of the Volt has been a deal-breaker for some people, esp in terms of ability to install a child seat in the middle). I'm thinking something in the subcompact class (like the Versa, A3 if looking at luxury) is the most practical size, although I do know Tesla has aimed at 3-series.

The four seats in the Volt killed it for me. It was actually the console blocking the center of the rear seat that truly stopped me from buying one.

One four door that I keep seeing that makes me think of potential Bluestar styling is the Kia Optima. Even has "aero" rims.

Yeah, I think Kia/Hyundai finally moved into the 'big leagues' in the last few years.
Japanese industry has had good reason to be concerned about rising Korea.

Mistakes in my mockup:
1. generally crude (MsPaint)
2. where the tan curves on the dash, insert 15" panel flush with dash. panel basically remains horizontally aligned with armrests
3. armrests should be integrated into the alcantera bolsters and swivel upwards
4. vehicle is longer than it should be (I left that unadjusted)
5. additional contouring needed for seats to thin them a bit, and for mirrors as well

Official art (S)
TeslaModelSTop.png

Mockup (C)
TeslaModelCTop.png

Mockup (C2 - C with the trunk removed, crudely)
TeslaModelC2Top.png

Last edited:
@sjoshuaj - Nice rendering.

Looking back at my C2 rendering, the rendering was intentionally crude for expediency. But now that I look at it again having the door/window stop abruptly and flared rear wheels might look good in a 2 door.