Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair you get it many months early vs ordering from Tesla. You also save on taxes, because while you may be giving him the full price difference, you will only pay tax on the price of the car, not what you pay him. So if he is giving you a right to buy a car at $84K that today costs $99K, you are saving the $15k difference multiplied by your vehicle tax rate. Where I live that's around $1,200. Then you save on the Order Fee, another $250 or so (assuming he has already paid it and isn't asking you for $15K + the Order Fee) vs ordering from Tesla today.

So, car 6-12 months early at a discount. In a market where getting a new car immediately commands a premium (because if there were no inventory shortages then there wouldn't even be a market for this). And evaluating OPs options, he could take delivery and turn around and sell it for likely $100K so what's his incentive to let you get a $95K car at $85K? When you can also take delivery and turn around and sell it for a profit?

Not saying these are worth $15K but they're certainly not worth $5K, unless you want someone to do it out of the goodness of their heart to help a fellow Tesla owner. Then again, this is the internet, we're all strangers, and most of us aren't independently wealthy. I think it's probably worth $10-$15K with a discount from $15K for the fact he doesn't have to do any "work" (arrange payment/financing, take delivery, obtain title, draw up Bill of Sale, etc.).
If I didn’t want the car anymore I’d happily pass the deal on to someone else. I scored incredible Rose Bowl tickets last week, cheap through the boosters club. Could sell them for 5x what I paid, but passed them along to another fan at my cost. I make money working and providing proprietary service, not hustling people in a situation I can exploit. Pass along the good fortune. To each their own.

Reactions: Bouba
If I didn’t want the car anymore I’d happily pass the deal on to someone else. I scored incredible Rose Bowl tickets last week, cheap through the boosters club. Could sell them for 5x what I paid, but passed them along to another fan at my cost. I make money working and providing proprietary service, not hustling people in a situation I can exploit. Pass along the good fortune. To each their own.

I think there's a clear difference between giving someone the car and giving someone all my info/account so they can get a car at a 15k discount...and unfortunately I am not willing to just give something away when I can buy the car and drive it to carmax and get profit. I just a little sad that everyone trolls posts like this when you could just ignore it when they would be doing the same exact thing if they had the reservation.

But it's not an exploit. Both parties are benefiting. It's like he's handing you cash, and you want it out of the goodness of his heart or for a small fee? But maybe you should meet him closer to that value he is giving you, out of the goodness of your heart. How would you even pick who to pass the deal onto, from a bunch of strangers? You are directly getting $15-$20K in actual value, that will go to you either now and/or when you sell the car eventually as you'll be well ahead of everyone else's depreciation curve.

Which is it, money doesn't matter or it does? If it doesn't, then you should have no problem compensating him fairly for the value you are getting. If any of us had a Model S right now available just picked up, we could sell it for $95K-$100K+. You wouldn't ask the person to take $80K out of the goodness of their heart? Why, because he has a reservation about to be delivered? Which is arguably a better value to the buyer who now is the first owner, but they're now worthy of a massive discount? It's good for you that you passed along your tickets, but that's your choice. I bought my house 4 years ago and am about to move, I'm not going to sell it for what I paid to not "hustle" the next guy. I'm going to sell it at the market price. Why is it that in certain situations, people expect others to give up a valuable asset for free? (in this case, his discount that he earned by ordering well in advance).

I also have an $80K res I no longer want, as I found out my wife is pregnant, need a new house, and with 2 babies I think the Model X is more suited to our needs. Now if I want that, I have to pay $15K more than the "old price". Why can't I offset that by capturing value from my current reservation? By your logic I should give it away free or cheap and just spend an extra $15K on the Model X with no offset? Why can't I make it so that I get a Model X at the old price by capturing value of my Model S? I have a family to feed/shelter/educate, I can't afford to give out $15-20K. And assuming OP can't either.

The most altruistic outcome I'd consider being "nice" is splitting the difference of the discount. But even then the buyer is capturing more value as they are saving on sales tax and fees, and again getting benefit of any extra "value" in the market price over sticker in today's environment. And the seller is essentially selling the right to a $95-$100K asset for $80K plus $7,500. I still think there should be some discount because of the work the seller is saved by not having to take delivery, market, sell, etc. But not $10K.

Last edited:
I think there's a clear difference between giving someone the car and giving someone all my info/account so they can get a car at a 15k discount...and unfortunately I am not willing to just give something away when I can buy the car and drive it to carmax and get profit. I just a little sad that everyone trolls posts like this when you could just ignore it when they would be doing the same exact thing if they had the reservation.
Good luck with pocketing $15K if you go with the CarMax plan. My guess is, you'd be lucky to break even.

A decent buisnessman would split the difference.

I just placed an order yesterday and the Date is July and my guess is I'll get it sooner.

Last edited:
But it's not an exploit. Both parties are benefiting. It's like he's handing you cash, and you want it out of the goodness of his heart or for a small fee? But maybe you should meet him closer to that value he is giving you, out of the goodness of your heart. How would you even pick who to pass the deal onto, from a bunch of strangers? You are directly getting $15-$20K in actual value, that will go to you either now and/or when you sell the car eventually as you'll be well ahead of everyone else's depreciation curve.

Which is it, money doesn't matter or it does? If it doesn't, then you should have no problem compensating him fairly for the value you are getting. If any of us had a Model S right now available just picked up, we could sell it for $95K-$100K+. You wouldn't ask the person to take $80K out of the goodness of their heart? Why, because he has a reservation about to be delivered? Which is arguably a better value to the buyer who now is the first owner, but they're now worthy of a massive discount? It's good for you that you passed along your tickets, but that's your choice. I bought my house 4 years ago and am about to move, I'm not going to sell it for what I paid to not "hustle" the next guy. I'm going to sell it at the market price. Why is it that in certain situations, people expect others to give up a valuable asset for free? (in this case, his discount that he earned by ordering well in advance).

I also have an $80K res I no longer want, as I found out my wife is pregnant, need a new house, and with 2 babies I think the Model X is more suited to our needs. Now if I want that, I have to pay $15K more than the "old price". Why can't I offset that by capturing value from my current reservation? By your logic I should give it away free or cheap and just spend an extra $15K on the Model X with no offset? Why can't I make it so that I get a Model X at the old price by capturing value of my Model S? I have a family to feed/shelter/educate, I can't afford to give out $15-20K. And assuming OP can't either.

The most altruistic outcome I'd consider being "nice" is splitting the difference of the discount. But even then the buyer is capturing more value as they are saving on sales tax and fees, and again getting benefit of any extra "value" in the market price over sticker in today's environment. And the seller is essentially selling the right to a $95-$100K asset for $80K plus $7,500. I still think there should be some discount because of the work the seller is saved by not having to take delivery, market, sell, etc. But not $10K.
Then just split the difference plus tax savings. The buyer is allowing you to essentially leverage a reservation you don't want and making it worth something. You need each other. So split it.

I'm looking for a deal like this and wouldn't deal with either of you. Not the kind of person I want to deal with if things get in trouble.

Then just split the difference plus tax savings. The buyer is allowing you to essentially leverage a reservation you don't want and making it worth something. You need each other. So split it.

I'm looking for a deal like this and wouldn't deal with either of you. Not the kind of person I want to deal with if things get in trouble.
Well that's the problem. No one even offers that. They just want it for free.

Hope this is the right section, but can anyone comment on the process of transferring a Tesla order agreement to another person? Is it possible? What did you have to do, and how do you ensure that only the buyer’s name gets registered with the dmv? Were there any problems with external financing if the order was under two names? (The original person who ordered and the person who picked up the order?)