Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was refreshing about the car dealer I mentioned above was that there were no shenanigans. He was open and aboveboard about everything, from telling me his invoice cost (which I later confirmed was true) to telling me what I could expect to get by selling the car privately. I traded in because I really did not want the headaches of selling privately.

The one time (years later) that I did sell a car privately I regretted it later.

Buying a Tesla is a refreshing experience. No hard-sell of add-ons, no negotiating with someone better at it than I. No sitting in the salesguy's office waiting while he pretends to "consult with his manager" about a price he's pretending is so very low.

I was not able to find a private buyer for the Roadster, and Tesla offered an unacceptably low price, but I ended up selling it to a dealer, not a private party.

…somebody take their $1000. I have 110k miles on my 2017. I might have been well over 200k if not for the pandemic. Kids activities plus driving vacations plus commuting.

Where is the moderator? Oh yeah, that’s me. Let’s get the OP to clear up the rideshare issue and then I’ll clean up this thread. Not that it matters. Ride share patrons are probably cleaner than my kids. Probably throw up less in the car too. Highway vs city miles are probably less of an issue on an EV with regen.
Why does he need to "defend" something that's admittedly irrelevant for you to clean up the thread per forum rules?

Reactions: gaswalla
Why does he need to "defend" something that's admittedly irrelevant for you to clean up the thread per forum rules?
I don’t think someone asking if the car has been used as a rideshare is irrelevant. I wouldn’t care, but clearly some care. If the OP doesn’t care, frankly all the comments here keep the thread bumped which I suspect the OP regards as great.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don’t think someone asking if the car has been used as a rideshare is irrelevant. I wouldn’t care, but clearly some care. If the OP doesn’t care, frankly all the comments here keep the thread bumped which I suspect the OP regards as great.
So the OP needs to answer that question to have the posts from others who begin their post by saying they have zero interest in buying the car cleaned up? I don't track that logic.

One person (who appears to have genuine interest in possibly buying) asks a simple question who's relevance may be debated but seems to come from a genuine place of interest. Then another user (who has no interest in buying by their own words) assumes the answer, makes outlandish claims based on that assumption and then proceeds to run with all of this as fact in their statement.

You can see it in this very thread that before the OP even has a chance to answer the question, potential buyers are already having doubts based on the unfounded claims casting doubt over the condition of the vehicle. That's just the one that posted here, too. Imagine how many are reading the thread that don't post and simply remove it from their list for consideration and move on to other vehicles.

This is why this sort of toxic behavior needs to be eliminated because it quickly gets out of hand. On other vehicle forums where users are more respectful there is a LOT more traffic in the marketplace which benefits everyone. This marketplace is like a ghost town compared to how much activity the forum has overall. There should be a LOT more traffic in the marketplace but it's been allowed to be a toxic wasteland that people like me and others simply refuse to post in it because of all of the negative posts that are sure to come.

The toxic behavior that continues even after the guidelines were established, and clearly posted for all to read, is still negatively impacting the community as a whole.

By the forum's own posted rules: Marketplace Rules I fail to see how Post #9 (and the others it caused afterwards) of this thread isn't in direct violation. The vehicle's ride shared status is irrelevant to allowing these sorts of post to continue trashing for sale threads. They are mutually exclusive both in content and relevance to this thread.

What's the point of having guidelines to keep people from dumping on for sale threads if we're just going to let obvious trolls continue to post in for sale threads?

So the OP needs to answer that question to have the posts from others who begin their post by saying they have zero interest in buying the car cleaned up? I don't track that logic.

One person (who appears to have genuine interest in possibly buying) asks a simple question who's relevance may be debated but seems to come from a genuine place of interest. Then another user (who has no interest in buying by their own words) assumes the answer, makes outlandish claims based on that assumption and then proceeds to run with all of this as fact in their statement.

You can see it in this very thread that before the OP even has a chance to answer the question, potential buyers are already having doubts based on the unfounded claims casting doubt over the condition of the vehicle. That's just the one that posted here, too. Imagine how many are reading the thread that don't post and simply remove it from their list for consideration and move on to other vehicles.

This is why this sort of toxic behavior needs to be eliminated because it quickly gets out of hand. On other vehicle forums where users are more respectful there is a LOT more traffic in the marketplace which benefits everyone. This marketplace is like a ghost town compared to how much activity the forum has overall. There should be a LOT more traffic in the marketplace but it's been allowed to be a toxic wasteland that people like me and others simply refuse to post in it because of all of the negative posts that are sure to come.

The toxic behavior that continues even after the guidelines were established, and clearly posted for all to read, is still negatively impacting the community as a whole.

By the forum's own posted rules: Marketplace Rules I fail to see how Post #9 (and the others it caused afterwards) of this thread isn't in direct violation. The vehicle's ride shared status is irrelevant to allowing these sorts of post to continue trashing for sale threads. They are mutually exclusive both in content and relevance to this thread.

What's the point of having guidelines to keep people from dumping on for sale threads if we're just going to let obvious trolls continue to post in for sale threads?
You are the only person using the word “troll”.

I am not trying to gauge how genuine someone’s interest is before I decide whether to let their post stand.

I am pretty hands off as moderators go. And there are several sub threads within this thread here that are questionable. My solution is that if the OP doesn’t care and I don’t care, I just let it stand. If this were your thread, since you care, I would handle it differently.

Clearly this is not “a toxic wasteland that people like me and others simply refuse to post in” because you are posting here. But I am curious as to what the valuable posts would contain that we’ve been missing.

There are other’s who agree with you that I should be more heavy handed and more of an enforcer. But that isn’t going to happen, by me at least.

Our discussion is by the way, off topic. If I could find an appropriate general marketplace feedback area, I might move it.

You are the only person using the word “troll”.

I am not trying to gauge how genuine someone’s interest is before I decide whether to let their post stand.

I am pretty hands off as moderators go. And there are several sub threads within this thread here that are questionable. My solution is that if the OP doesn’t care and I don’t care, I just let it stand. If this were your thread, since you care, I would handle it differently.

Clearly this is not “a toxic wasteland that people like me and others simply refuse to post in” because you are posting here. But I am curious as to what the valuable posts would contain that we’ve been missing.

There are other’s who agree with you that I should be more heavy handed and more of an enforcer. But that isn’t going to happen, by me at least.

Our discussion is by the way, off topic. If I could find an appropriate general marketplace feedback area, I might move it.
I used the word "troll" because if someone has no interest in this car... why bother posting in a for sale thread other than to stir the pot? That's the definition of a troll.

It's also a clear violation of the subforum rules posted clearly for everyone to see. It's posts like this that continue to make the marketplace of this forum aggressive and uninviting to users. It's why the vast majority of people no longer frequent this subforum and why many have left the community entirely for greener pastures.

When I said "I and others refuse to post" I meant more that I sell dozens and probably upwards of hundreds of items over the years from parts people are looking for all the way up to cars. I still keep an eye out in case there's something I'm interested in buying and every now and then I post to provide information or help others out. I don't bother wasting my time posting my own items here because of how toxic it is even after the rules have been enacted. I know that it will bring the trolls out of the woodwork no matter what I sell, what I say or what price I list it at. This is the behavior when they get away with it repeatedly and there's no repercussions for their actions. Rules are meaningless if they're not enforced.

Because the OP doesn't realize they can report such things doesn't make them "okay" with it either. I can't imagine anyone would be alright with someone posting BS and causing potential buyers to have doubt over nonsense. If they're choosing to be more respectful that the person posting the nonsense they shouldn't be punished while the bad behavior continues to be rewarded. Often times they just stop posting due to the unwarranted attacks and thinking it's acceptable behavior for this community. I've had people PM me over the years to thank me for providing information or (in extreme cases) defending them against the hyenas and most of them are no longer active in this forum, sadly.

Staff felt it was enough of a problem to enact rules specific to this subforum so there's clearly an issue. Why else establish rules if everyone is capable of being an adult and treating others with respect?

Since subforum rules aren't enforced, the trolls are slowly learning that they can get away with nearly whatever they want anyway. The toxic environment that scares lots of quality people away from the community continues. It really is just a few bad apples that are ruining for everyone so if those few repeat offenders are warned against that type of disrespect it will clear up in relatively short order and people like me who have items to offer for others will once again return benefiting the community.

We're in agreement that our discussion is off topic. I suggest removing ALL posts form this thread that are off topic but leaving a post that serves as a warning so those who continue violating the rules know this sort of aggressive behavior that benefits nobody won't be tolerated. I'll be the first to volunteer my posts to be moved so long as it means those that triggered them are also removed to clean up this thread. Historically, off topic posts have just been moved to this thread but you are welcome to do as you see fit. I just want to see this subforum be more inviting for people to list items for sale because we all benefit if this subforum flourishes.

I’d recommend avoid RPM Tesla CF products. Mine is still leaking glue onto the rear hatch paired with horrid customer service.

Apologies to the seller but really poor experience with them.
I agree it has to do with the fact that they get all their products from China and I’m sure they usually buy the cheapest products in bulk. Not everything is bad as almost everything is originated in China First that we buy as consumer products but ROM has had some awful products that outweigh the few hood ones.

Reactions: Noahweb
This have no glue, this using 2 sided tape. IDK what you talking about. Plus if you want to complain about their products, post it on the general section not on for sale section.
Perfect place to state his opinion don’t be upset cause you happened to potentially buy an inferior products that you’re trying to sell to make money and he’s just informing buyers from his experience. If you want to market for them go run a commercial or add is basically the same thing you’re saying and I can attest that many products are crap. Facts
Look at the junk you’re selling for $150. It’s something that should costs $15. So yea that’s absurd and I’m shocked you would pay that which I’m sure you paid a fraction of that. One of their most annoying issues is their shipping times. They are terrible, at least they were years ago and it was a well known issue as well. One positive note that I could say is that they always will usually send a free product if you bought it and it didn’t work plug n play like they claim most do but they are quick to ship a replacement so that’s definitely taking a negative and trying to make it into a positive resolution. As stated I would just pick and choose their products wisely. Some are great, many are mediocre and some are awful. Happens with a lot of shops but this one has had and carried that reputation for 1/2 a decade

Anyone know if it is possible to lock my filter for sorting the forum by first post? Specific to the for sale forums, I like to know if anything new has been posted so I filter by first message. This makes the "bump" posts less of a nuisance along with the desperate part seekers that revive ancient threads.

Hi, newbie here. I'm interested in MYLR that is out of state and I'm wondering how you guys find a trustable mechanics to check on the car before you go thru the buying process? The car is basically new (<100 miles) so it should be still covered with warranty, but I don't want to fly out just to do the test drive.
Any advice?
Thanks!

You might want to consider
Hi, newbie here. I'm interested in MYLR that is out of state and I'm wondering how you guys find a trustable mechanics to check on the car before you go thru the buying process? The car is basically new (<100 miles) so it should be still covered with warranty, but I don't want to fly out just to do the test drive.
Any advice?
Thanks!
You might want to consider vehicle inspection services. Pretty inexpensive (<$200) and they will highlight visual imperfections and give it a road test. However like most mechanic shops outside of Tesla, they probably won't know much about the inner workings of the electric vehicle.

Reactions: cadburygood
Where's the best place these days to list a Tesla for sale? Facebook gets a ton of bots. Does cargurus work? Anything else people know about?
Im in the market again, Im using Cars.com for local listings, Carmax has decent prices that are falling, Tesla.com or EV-CPO (one of the best sites out there), Cargurus is nice but they spam you with national listings, Truecar also has good options, Tesla-info has the most options (imo),

I am looking at this Model 3, which seems to be about the cheapest M3 currently for sale in the US with a clean title. If I am reading the VIN correctly, this car is pretty much from the first week of production. And yet, it is listed as a standard range? Am I wrong, or the standard range M3 did not come out until later?

I am looking at this Model 3, which seems to be about the cheapest M3 currently for sale in the US with a clean title. If I am reading the VIN correctly, this car is pretty much from the first week of production. And yet, it is listed as a standard range? Am I wrong, or the standard range M3 did not come out until later?

Wow VIN 321. That is seriously early production.

There was no standard range back then. The only production that early on is what now is called the LR RWD. Plus that has some stuff I don't think later production got, like alcantara headliners/door panels.

Then again there is also a lot missing compared to later models. Not sure if these had rear heated seats. Going to have to go back to the early launch Model 3 threads to see what was included.

Reactions: Vinc
I went to check it out in person and it is actually not that bad. A big trim panel in the trunk is hanging and the driver’s seatbelt is a bit frayed, but I was expecting worse for an early unit. I would bet lunch that the owner was/is in this forum. In addition to being an early reservation holder, the car has a Tesla sunshade for the roof, deleted piano black and OEM tires. The owner really cared.

Range is about 280, so definitely not standard. And fun fact, it has autopilot, which the seller does not mention anywhere.

I would consider getting it myself if it was coming from a private party. But BHPH lots make me a bit queasy…

I am toying with idea of buying used Tesla as a "winter beater", in meaning that the car will be mostly used in the city for short trips.
Model Y probably will be out of the budget, M3 is too small, so I guess its' either S or X. Has anybody taken this route? What about high milage cars 200K/km+? Again the goal is to spend as little as possible :) I have seen few 2014 Model S for 35K CAD, are these a good buy?

If you get a used Model S, make sure it's a dual-motor version.
You probably don't want a RWD in the snow, even with proper snow tires. People do it, but if you want a real snow car, get a used 70D if you don't care about performance or range. An 85D, P85D, 90D, or P90D would also work and give you a little more range in the winter when cold temps reduce range.

Reactions: ohmman
If you get a used Model S, make sure it's a dual-motor version.
You probably don't want a RWD in the snow, even with proper snow tires. People do it, but if you want a real snow car, get a used 70D if you don't care about performance or range. An 85D, P85D, 90D, or P90D would also work and give you a little more range in the winter when cold temps reduce range.
Any other items to look out for? How is battery degradation? Anyway to test it?