Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is offering me $46k for my 2018 Model 3 Performance + FSD with 26K miles on it. Is it worth the hassle to try and sell privately? I get $4K in tax benefit if trade-in with Tesla. So, I'd have to sell for more than $50k. Wanted to check with the experts here before I make a decision. Thanks in advance.

Tesla is offering me $46k for my 2018 Model 3 Performance + FSD with 26K miles on it. Is it worth the hassle to try and sell privately? I get $4K in tax benefit if trade-in with Tesla. So, I'd have to sell for more than $50k. Wanted to check with the experts here before I make a decision. Thanks in advance.
If it means anything, we got $48,000 for ours with 52K miles.

Either way your car is likely out of warranty soon just like ours was so you’re within spec for resale price especially with the recent downturn.

Just curious, what's the tax benefit from, for trading in w/ Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Unfortunately the trade-in tax benefit does not apply in many states, including California.
Huh. Good to know. I wonder if it did, if that would affect (up or down) the trade-in values they offer? I did some calcs on my trade in value and how much it would save me on purchase of a replacement Tesla, and it was negligible, not worth trading for the tax benefit. The trade offer was about 70% of what I could sell it for privately, and about 55% of what they charge for a similar used/cpo car.

It’s a great day to be in Texas.

I spent a semester close enough to Texas that I was assured it was basically the same climate. I would never intentionally live there. ;)

Huh. Good to know. I wonder if it did, if that would affect (up or down) the trade-in values they offer? I did some calcs on my trade in value and how much it would save me on purchase of a replacement Tesla, and it was negligible, not worth trading for the tax benefit. The trade offer was about 70% of what I could sell it for privately, and about 55% of what they charge for a similar used/cpo car.

Car dealers can play around a lot with trade-in values. I once had a car dealer tell me right up front that he could give me more for my trade-in; he'd just add the difference to the price of my new car. He also told me what I could get for my old car in a private sale. When I said "It sounds like you're telling me I should sell the car privately" he replied "No. I'm telling you you should sell it to me for less so I can sell it for more." I appreciated his honesty. And I traded in the car with him to avoid the hassle of a private sale.

• Informative
Car dealers can play around a lot with trade-in values. I once had a car dealer tell me right up front that he could give me more for my trade-in; he'd just add the difference to the price of my new car. He also told me what I could get for my old car in a private sale. When I said "It sounds like you're telling me I should sell the car privately" he replied "No. I'm telling you you should sell it to me for less so I can sell it for more." I appreciated his honesty. And I traded in the car with him to avoid the hassle of a private sale.
Yeah, well aware of all those shenanigans that traditional dealers can and do play. This is why I negotiate a cash purchase price first. Then talk about a trade in, if I even wanted to (I've never taken the trade in deal). On a new car, the dealer's cost is invoice+any local advertising they pay, there's no two ways about this simple truth. Invoice cost is pretty much public knowledge on all new cars these days, so it's easy to negotiate around that number. Many times a dealer will let a car go for under invoice just to move product because they know they're making it up elsewhere.

Tesla though, has changed the game, even with CPO purchases, which before were less transparent since you never knew what the dealer's cost was on the car, unlike new purchases. You still don't know Tesla's cost on a CPO, but at least their sale price is (pretty much) non-negotiable.

So it's very black-and-white in figuring out what one's best path is in buying a car and selling/trading an old one, when dealing with Tesla.