Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: @Zaxxon beat me to it. Why does that make seen familiar... Was that a video game machine from the 80s or the bad guy in defender. Can't quite place it.

4a276a33b3a6595562187dddc91f64f9.jpg

Another round of invites went out. This seems like the last batch of owners as I'm hearing it includes owners like me with 2017 reservations getting invited. My second was and June/July and I just got my second invite. Don't hate in me, I'm waiting on both so I'm not TM3 blocking anyone.

Edit: @Zaxxon beat me to it. Why does that make seen familiar... Was that a video game machine from the 80s or the bad guy in defender. Can't quite place it.

Looking at a source from Reddit that indeed looks like to be true and this should be the last batch of existing owners

Current owners are given unlimited skips to the front • r/teslamotors

I don't think Tesla knows. The employee window is a good way to find out.

Tesla absolutely knows. They have the buttons which record those preferences already on their site. They don't know exact options, but they know which main category for a large enough group to be statistically relevant. They also know the most popular options for the recent orders so they have a pretty good idea what people want at this point.

Reactions: 22522
Another round of invites went out. This seems like the last batch of owners as I'm hearing it includes owners like me with 2017 reservations getting invited. My second was and June/July and I just got my second invite. Don't hate in me, I'm waiting on both so I'm not TM3 blocking anyone.

I reserved mine in 2018 and just got my invite.

I reserved mine in 2018 and just got my invite.

Nice. So just to make an educated guess, this was the longest break between invite groups, at exactly 3 weeks. It also includes owners who reserved mere days ago, which would seem to imply that the next group will include at least some non-owners. Assuming the same (longest) wait for the next group, that means we may see the first non-owner invites by March 7th.

Woot?

Nice. So just to make an educated guess, this was the longest break between invite groups, at exactly 3 weeks. It also includes owners who reserved mere days ago, which would seem to imply that the next group will include at least some non-owners. Assuming the same (longest) wait for the next group, that means we may see the first non-owner invites by March 7th.

Woot?
It sounds like many (most?) of us are deferring. I'm in the midwest and definitely want AWD, so I'll be waiting for that. I think non-owner invites probably will go out in early to mid March. That should give the stock a little boost perhaps.

Regarding the online polls showing many people willing to pay over 50k ... such polls are going to be self selective to people who are Tesla fans AND tech-savvy and so on, members of the various Tesla communities, etc, and are unlikely to be representative of the overall reservation pool....

If there wasn't a huge backlog I'd consider cancelling and waiting another year if we miss the credit window (and saving for another year to have a larger downpayment so that the loan payments are lower), but there's no guarantee I can just go and get the car when I want, I might be waiting longer than a year extra - and our existing ICE are nearing a decade old, and are likely to start having expensive repairs after another year or so, at which point perhaps we're actually not saving money by saving money.

Just want to point out that the 500K people who made reservations is also somewhat a self-selective sample size :rolleyes: I don't get how reasonable people can keep inventing demand issues for Tesla. Given the track record that Tesla has never over-spent and over-produced past their demand, and that they've stuffed their product pipeline for the next 3-5 years with new products that people are salivating over, I don't see any justification for demand concerns. So what if in the end there is only demand for 500K M3 a year? There are plenty of other products that Tesla can sell, and probably will be production constrained for a long time. Is demand really a concern for 2020, or 2021 or even 2022?

It sounds like many (most?) of us are deferring. I'm in the midwest and definitely want AWD, so I'll be waiting for that. I think non-owner invites probably will go out in early to mid March. That should give the stock a little boost perhaps.
I'm not deferring. My 1st production delivery estimate says Apr-Jun, but wouldn't mind if some folks in front of me want to give me their spot. :D

Last edited:
Just want to point out that the 500K people who made reservations is also somewhat a self-selective sample size :rolleyes: I don't get how reasonable people can keep inventing demand issues for Tesla. Given the track record that Tesla has never over-spent and over-produced past their demand, and that they've stuffed their product pipeline for the next 3-5 years with new products that people are salivating over, I don't see any justification for demand concerns. So what if in the end there is only demand for 500K M3 a year? There are plenty of other products that Tesla can sell, and probably will be production constrained for a long time. Is demand really a concern for 2020, or 2021 or even 2022?

My view of personal wealth is not accurate.

I think there is some jitter on the delivery of the "Dual motor either range." Mine moved from mid 2018 to late 2018. (note: Even if I bought the more expensive model 3 the date would be July to September.)

I think they received enough new orders for the rear wheel drive car currently in production to meet margin targets without needing to pull 4wd into the mix. Probably a good call.

This reminds me of a time I offered to buy an Acura Integra in Plano. The sales manager was very candid. He said, "Your offer is a lot of money. But the market for that car, in Plano, is higher."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Drax7
I'm liking the more conservative estimates going out with this latest batch of invites. Sounds like people with March-May estimates are getting invites. Once they configure, 3-6 weeks to get the Model 3. I feel like more realistic expectations are needed for Tesla (and the longs).

Let me help you understand the buyers of M3: it’s the rich “dummy!” Yet again we are underestimating the cheapness of the rich. Way too many rich buyer can and should buy MS/MX yet they are not. Why? Because they are cheap! Don’t worry about taking full advantage of the 7.5K credit because they will have enough and if not they will find ways to pull forward taxable income. So let’s put that to rest as the super majority of M3 buyers are the rich. Period. Had Tesla came out with the 35K M3 first you better bet they would go for a 35K M3. Thank you Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: sweter
I'm not deferring. My 1st production delivery estimate says Apr-Jun, but wouldn't mind if some folks in front of me want to give me their spot. :D
You can have mine. I'm waiting for AWD and cash. I made the mistake of buying my Model S when the SP reached $94. If I'd waited a few months I would have only had to sell only a fourth to a third if my shares, instead of the nearly half of my shares that I did sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.