Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shmiegel buys twitter followers:

12m
Replying to @louwhiteman @markbspiegel

You aren't very sharp, that audit of Mark BS is from 2 years ago when he had a few hundred followers. He clearly bought a s*** ton in the last few months. Something like a 15k surge in followers overnight from the previous level of a few thousand. $TSLA

He must have ready my post ridiculing him for have less followers then my cat. Now that he bought 15,000 new followers, he has the same number as my cat. Keep working Mark BS, you will catch my cat at some point.

The claim is that Model 3 will replace millions of family sedans like Camry and Accord. So, did Alex visit Disneyland with his family in it?
Did he put 3 car seats in his M3? Did he have passengers in the back for his cross country drive?

There are some serious complaints about back seat comfort for M3. Look at the picture below. If there was an option to remove the back seat and use bean bags instead for sitting, that might be interesting. ;)
The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Motor Trend

View attachment 271311

LOL. That's all you got. Glass roof is hot in direct sunlight? New low for quality fud. Do better. Be all you can be and bring home that paycheck like a champ. This is beneath you. You didn't even say cash burn or Ponzi scheme one time.

5FAB38E6-ABA0-4A3E-8D9D-50C9BC9918FF.jpeg
94CE7E44-154A-43B3-8DF5-2D883E21A173.jpeg
Yesterday I was in Pearsonville truck stop along 395 about 2 hours north of Los Angeles. There were 4 trucks with huge wooden crates, like the size of a shipping container. These were labeled Panasonic Long Beach and headed for the Giga Factory. The drivers of these trucks told me they have no idea what is in the crates but they have delivered hundreds of these loads. I’m guessing it is battery building equipment from Japan. Whatever,!it was exiting to see. The drivers also said they were very positive about the future of electric trucking.

Last edited:
These were labeled Panasonic Long Beach and headed for the Giga Factory. The drivers of these trucks told me they have no idea what is in the crates but they have delivered hundreds of these loads. I’m guessing it is battery building equipment from Japan.

Or it could be a shipment of battery cells from Japan for Tesla to turn into Tesla Energy packs... (Since Tesla has said that the GF will produce more kWhs of packs than it will of cells.)

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h

Very good. And as we move into a weekend, while not speaking to anyone in particular:

When referring to a loss, related words are lose and losing, not loose or loosing.

You may want to avoid using the nonsensical phrase I could care less, when you really mean I couldn't care less.

The suffix oid means resembling but not genuine. A factoid is something widely believed to be true, but is actually untrue.

Share prices tend to bottom at support levels and top at resistance levels.

Financial professionals refer to buying interest and selling pressure -- never buying pressure.

Last edited:
I would sincerely doubt that. More than likely grid connected to sell into the grid when surplus, maintain the battery to supply the majority of the power, and grid for when battery packs are low. Also allows for low cost off-peak charging of the packs.
They will need powerpacks, so they could provide grid stability services and minimize their wholesale pricing.

Reactions: DurandalAI
LOL. That's all you got. Glass roof is hot in direct sunlight? New low for quality fud. Do better. Be all you can be and bring home that paycheck like a champ. This is beneath you. You didn't even say cash burn or Ponzi scheme one time.
The roof may be hot, but not the interior in summer. My Model S is cooler with the sunroof closed than with it open. Of course, in the winter, the reverse is true.

Or it could be a shipment of battery cells from Japan for Tesla to turn into Tesla Energy packs... (Since Tesla has said that the GF will produce more kWhs of packs than it will of cells.)

The target like symbol is the center of gravity marker. It is fairly low on the crate which indicates most of the mass is low. Also the crates look like they were built around an object with a few bottom support points. Note the cantilever on the closer one.
I vote machinery.
New pack assembly equipment? Fresh from testing at the only other place with enough cells to validate it? Or additional cell lines.

The target like symbol is the center of gravity marker. It is fairly low on the crate which indicates most of the mass is low. Also the crates look like they were built around an object with a few bottom support points. Note the cantilever on the closer one.
I vote machinery.
New pack assembly equipment? Fresh from testing at the only other place with enough cells to validate it? Or additional cell lines.

I swear those pictures weren't there when I replied...

And the crate weighs in at ~15,000 lbs?

... I see that it's already Q1 and there's is absolutely no chance of hitting 5k/week... probably little chance to hit even 3k/week, so Elon did what he needed to do and pushed off 5k/week guidance for another month.
Yes, 5,000 cars/week beyond Q2 is likely.
The key of M3 ramp-up is still "the" bottleneck - M3 battery pack production. The M3 production is constrained by the number of battery packs produced. Tesla is not out of the woods yet. The newly automated line is producing low number of battery packs.
My guess is that Tesla doesn't know how much time required to take the battery pack production to 5k/wk. But the odds before 1Q18 are pretty bad, so the target date is just pushed out for another quarter.
The bright side is that Tesla will bring the production well over 5k/wk eventually. It's either the production line is fixed to reach the planned capacity, or more duplicated production lines will be set up (if Tesla realize that it doesn't have any straight solutions to reach the 5k/wk capacity per lline.) The silver lining is that the battery production won't drag down future ramp-up of semi, MY and truck as they will most likely share the same battery modules with M3.

Reactions: neroden
Elon will figure out how to mass produce cars. And batteries. That’s a heck of a lot easier than inventing an ev that performs as well as my S. No worries. Now when I have to drive an ice I hate it. In my beemer X5 it really bugs me to be putting on the brakes all the time. And the slow acceleration. And the noise. And the ......

Had the same problem. I sold the X5 and got an X.

The claim is that Model 3 will replace millions of family sedans like Camry and Accord. So, did Alex visit Disneyland with his family in it?
Did he put 3 car seats in his M3? Did he have passengers in the back for his cross country drive?

There are some serious complaints about back seat comfort for M3. Look at the picture below. If there was an option to remove the back seat and use bean bags instead for sitting, that might be interesting. ;)
The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Motor Trend

View attachment 271311
6 feet seven in a back seat. Is that bad? Put that guy in my SRX and he’d be a pretzel.

There is no good reason to package cells into oversize loads. It has to be things that can't be made smaller, like factory equipment. Also cells are extremely dense, I think the trucks would be overweight if those boxes were full of cells.

I see that mmd has been released from their 1 month moderator-imposed hiatus for bad behavior.

mmd has stated that in the past that they are ignoring me (haha!), but their post does merit some discussion with regards to trends in the broader automotive market.

The first thing to note is that mid-size sedans as a segment are declining as a percentage of the overall car market. While Camry and Accord sales remain stable, many other models of mid-size sedans are falling by the wayside. You can read about this decline in an extensive series by The Truth About Cars: midsize sedan death watch Archives - The Truth About Cars

So what are people using to cart their familes to Disneyland? Compact Crossovers and other large, hatched vehicles.

Lets look at Honda' s December 2017 and full year 2017 results: American Honda Sets 3rd Straight Annual Sales Record with Best-Ever December for Trucks

Model: Dec '17; Total 2017
Honda Accord: 22,115; 322,665
Honda Civic: 31,406; 377,286

Honda Pilot: 18,602; 127,297
Honda CR-V: 36,983; 377,895
Honda HR-V: 7,543; 94,043

Honda Odyssey: 9,874; 100,307

Honda has other models, but these are the most relevant to the discussion.

The first thing to note is that the Honda CR-V, classified as as Compact Crossover, now handily outsells the Accord, and has reached parity with the Civic. The Honda CR-V is a hardware platform relative of the Civic, and both cars have similar ground dimensional footprints. Compact Crossovers are replacing Midsize Sedans.

Many younger people start their adult lives with sedans like the Honda Civic, but they often no longer move up to a bigger sedan like Accord when they start to raise families. They are trading in their Civic/Focus/Jetta/Corolla/Impreza for some form of Compact Crossover, like CR-V or Subaru Forester when looking for a road trip car. I've observed that families will often keep 1 sedan for a commuting spouse, and keep 1 crossover for road tripping. Crossovers generally have better rear bench seating positions and space than sedans, and are much easier for bulky items like strollers, suitcases, and sports gear due to the wide opening and space of their rear hatches. The higher seating position is a plus too.

The second thing to note is that the sales of hatched vehicles (Pilot, CR-V, HR-V, and Odyssey) now at least equals the sales of Civic plus Accord. Hatched vehicles likely exceed sedans now, because the Civic is available in hatchback form, and the Fit tilts the balance further.

Sedans have become the new Coupe. Many people buy them for the sexier shape and low-to-ground mass, which generally translates to better cornering. In terms of higher end cars, people buy a sedan because they desire it, not because it is the most practical option. At the low end, people still buy sedans because of lower cost. At the middle, the fact that midsizer sedans have higher cost and lower utility than CUVs means that they get squeezed out.

What does this mean for Model 3?

(1) Back seat comfort for Adults and Teenage children over multi-hundred mile trips is largely irrelevant. People in today's marketplace who need this are looking at a Compact Crossover, not a Sport Sedan. All Model 3 really need to do with regards to larger rear seat occupants is give them enough leg room and comfort for 30 minute hops.

(2) For younger families small children, the back seat should be fine for car seats: http://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-3-family-car/

What really matters for Tesla in the long run for family cars, is Model Y, the Compact Crossover relative of Model 3.
  • Model Y gives Model 3 owners an "upgrade" path. People in the Model 3 demographic may prefer the Y over the X for size and/or cost reasons.
  • Model Y gives non-Tesla owners a compelling option if they want a CUV but don't want something as big or expensive as Model X.

I don't know how tall MT editor Kim Reynolds is (the guy pictured), but elevated leg position is common in a car the size of Model 3. The Honda Civic sedan is 182.8" long, compared with 184.8" for the Tesla Model 3. Both cars have roughly the same cabin and trunk volume.

See Honda Civic rear seat example: Roomy Interior Means I Can Sit Behind Myself - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Anyone tall, spending hours sitting in a car that is Civic or Model 3-sized, is going to suffer "road butt".

Last edited:
I really don't like the blind bullish eyes here.

1) "Last 7 Working days" translates to somthing like Dec. 18. to Dec. 30. 793 M3s translates to a weekly rate of about 400!!
You have evidence they were off 6 of 13 days between Dec 18 and Dec 30?

If they were actually off a week because of the holidays, that's not going to happen again for a year.

Not sure what else you think he means by "working day" than a normal day worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.