Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

At a moment like this “divide and conquer” makes sense. Would love for Elon to bring along his top engineering talent and stay at the factory to ramp us into cash flow positive. He should have done this sooner, but it looks like things will get handled pretty soon with the both of them (Musk/Fields) tackling this ramp.

Interesting. So till now it did not make sense for EM to sleep on factory floor, but now it makes sense.
Interpretation:
Before -- it made no sense to sleep in factory floor, because issue was in GF(battery module) and no matter what was done, there was a known bottleneck, that would not be resolved until Grohmann module came online.
Now -- materials and battery module bottleneck over, time to tweak and optimize production run rate once again

~ Cheers!!

Glad to see Elon firing back now.

Really? You read Elon Musk's biography and think it's a positive thing he'd get involved in engineering? He's now CEO, head of sales, head fundraiser, corporate treasurer, and now also head of the Model 3 project? That's a "good thing" for a 40B+ public company?

Also, NOW is the time for him to get involved? Not last November? Not in January? But in the middle of a "solid ramp" (as ValueAnalyst puts it)? What are his contributions going to be, exactly? Isn't he the one who said investors should have "zero doubt" that Tesla would hit 10,000 Model 3s/week?

I find it pretty funny. I thought that Elon Musk might be able to avoid a reputation hit from Tesla's downturn, but now he's putting himself in that boat.

Last edited:
Interesting. So till now it did not make sense for EM to sleep on factory floor, but now it makes sense.
Interpretation:
Before -- it made no sense to sleep in factory floor, because issue was in GF(battery module) and no matter what was done, there was a known bottleneck, that would not be resolved until Grohmann module came online.
Now -- materials and battery module bottleneck over, time to tweak and optimize production run rate once again

~ Cheers!!
You can't just put anyone next to a robot to make it run faster, you have to put Elon next to it :D

Really? You read Elon Musk's biography and think it's a positive thing he'd get involved in engineering? He's now CEO, head of sales, head fundraiser, corporate treasurer, and now also head of the Model 3 project? That's a "good thing" for a 40B+ public company?

Also, NOW is the time for him to get involved? Not last November? Not in January? But in the middle of a "solid ramp" (as ValueAnalyst puts it)? What are his contributions going to be, exactly? Isn't he the one who said investors should have "zero doubt" that Tesla would hit 10,000 Model 3s/week?

I find it pretty funny. I thought that Elon Musk might be able to avoid a reputation hit from Tesla's downturn, but now he's putting himself in that boat.

you must new here to think that he wan't involved last November or Jan as he was clearly highly involved with the identified bottleneck at that time, pack production.

if you need to, i would suggest reading the 2017 thread about that time.

You would invest in a company without caring a tiny bit about the intrinsic quality of its product vs competition, on the verge of a massive shift towards a different energy source and business model? Wow!
The company you're calling into question has a long history of making cars and trucks that people buy. It also makes money and pays a generous dividend. Investors value those things.

The massive shift you mention has yet to be demonstrated. Much as I'm in favor of them, I don't expect EVs to be more than a blip on the radar for a number of years. Companies like Ford have lots of time to get their acts together and not rush something into production.

Many people here point to the low number of Bolts being sold and blame it on a variety of issues. I think GM's intent was to test the waters and learn from their customers what works and what doesn't. Follow-on products produced in volume will incorporate what they hear about the first model. In contrast, for example, Tesla is now committed to the touch-screen interface on the M3 that many people (like me) don't like. I doubt they'll keep it in the MY.

The switch to EVs is not a sprint - it's a long-distance race. The big boys clearly have the financial muscle, manufacturing resources and engineering skills to make the transition while many question if Tesla will be able to stay solvent.

In contrast, for example, Tesla is now committed to the touch-screen interface on the M3 that many people (like me) don't like. I doubt they'll keep it in the MY.

Do you have any inkling on the savings (read margin) Tesla is getting due to not paying suppliers to make umpteen switch banks and then buying and installing enough wire harnesses and connectors to make them functional? Or the lead time needed for HW/SW? Not to mention the 'fun' of getting them all color matched. Controls are being enable via voice and the steering wheel switches.

The Y is going have even less wiring (smart light modules and likely 48V distribution).

I've been on the supplier side trying to tell the big 3 the laws of physics. Tesla is the bleep, the sweep, and the creep and anyone who doesn't see the hyperactive Winnebago on their radar is either blind or jammed (Raspberry, of course).

/rant off

Do you have any inkling on the savings (read margin) Tesla is getting due to not paying suppliers to make umpteen switch banks and then buying and installing enough wire harnesses and connectors to make them functional? Or the lead time needed for HW/SW? Not to mention the 'fun' of getting them all color matched. Controls are being enable via voice and the steering wheel switches.
I realize that the computer interface provides savings (how much, we don't know). But I doubt that other manufacturers will follow Tesla's lead. I expect to see dedicated tactile buttons/switches on the competitors' offerings (just as they've been for decades) and I think customers will prefer them.

I realize that the computer interface provides savings (how much, we don't know). But I doubt that other manufacturers will follow Tesla's lead. I expect to see dedicated tactile buttons/switches on the competitors' offerings (just as they've been for decades) and I think customers will prefer them.
Except that next decade's customers have just gotten out of big wheels and are too busy watching social agent Oso. They might not know what to do with a knob. They will likely not even drive the car and not care to...

Why does this remind me of Blackberry vs Apple?

Have you seen any concept cars lately? They all have upped the screens and cut the buttons and even the steering wheel.

Have you seen any concept cars lately? They all have upped the screens and cut the buttons and even the steering wheel.
We'll have to wait to gauge the customer acceptance when those concept cars are available for purchase.

One more thing about the touch-screen itself. Here in sunny SoCal, the sun beating on it inside a parked car that's already at 150 degrees (F) will challenge its survival (screen & electronics). This issue isn't as critical in cars with the screen embedded in the dash since the sun won't likely be able to hit it in the same way.

With longer days and the sun higher in the sky, summer will surely test it.

We'll have to wait to gauge the customer acceptance when those concept cars are available for purchase.

One more thing about the touch-screen itself. Here in sunny SoCal, the sun beating on it inside a parked car that's already at 150 degrees (F) will challenge its survival (screen & electronics). This issue isn't as critical in cars with the screen embedded in the dash since the sun won't likely be able to hit it in the same way.

With longer days and the sun higher in the sky, summer will surely test it.

The temperature rating for automotive electronics starts at -40 to 85C (185F) and goes up from there. Displays that can handle vehicle/ industrial/ commercial temperatures are nothing new. 70C/158F displays existed in 2010, Kyocera has -30C to 85C TFTs. The hard spec is actually on the cold side, if you freeze the liquid, it can ruin the polarizer, so they embed heaters in the glass to keep things slightly warm. The 3 display is no different than any other (S/X had some issues with the center display, but those have been worked out).

In terms of direct radiative heating, high in the sky is not as much of an issue as coming through the glass and hitting it with a larger effective area. For a HUD, worst case is through the open sunroof/ convertible top off the windshield into the optics (so remember to use an IR transparent mirror).

For everyone who has been visiting TMC (bulls/bears), tomorrow will be a very telling day as Tesla is scheduled to release numbers after market closes. It’s not a secret that Tesla will not meet the projected 2,500/ week M3 production number for Q1, hence the current stock price....so the short-term question remains “has it all been priced in?”

This has been on my mind for the last two weeks as I am contemplating deploying some dry powder to pick up more TSLA. I think that if Tesla produces between 1,800-2,000/ week M3 (7 days) then we will have a very good chance of a nice pop to reclaim 260s/ maybe 270s if it’s above 2,000/ week (for the last 7 days). If numbers fall between 1,500-1,800, then it would explain why Elon is back to sleeping at the factory and the stock price might decrease a bit (being that it’s so low, I don’t know if it’ll move much anymore). For bears who are spelling gloom and doom, this is not the first time Elon has decided to take matters into his own hands (he is fully capable of it, let’s not get it twisted and forget his engineering/physics background, he is also a rocket scientist..) during Model S and Model X ramp, Elon tweeted about doing just that to get Tesla to where we are at now. If he stays at the factory, then I am optimistic that he and Tesla’s engineers will figure it out (sometimes you need the head honcho present to give you that extra jolt of motivation).

The question I have been asking myself today after hearing that Elon will be sleeping at the factory again is “why wait till now, why couldn’t he do this months ago?” Well, aside from being a very busy person, the best answer I came up with is that although there were numerous bottlenecks, Tesla was able to resolve them incrementally, and as Elon stated during the 4th Q 2017 CC,the ramp so far has been “exponential,” (although not as exponential as we TMC investors would like), it’s still moving much faster than the S/X lines (which took 5 years to get us to 2,000/ week). Hence, if M3 ramp is already at 2,000/ week in just 9 months of entering production, then I think we are at a very nice place. Previously when Elon was sleeping at the GF, I think he somewhat sized up the battery module situation and thought “we can do this, no problem.” His engineers likely thought the same, hence, the 8K was issued. So if they are in fact at 2,000/ week, then Tesla theoretically will only miss by 500/ week (that’s if you believe in the leaked email...), But this still pins Elon and his team is in a very precarious situation, how does he explain the 8k? So, to show that he is NOT taking this miss lightly (even if it’s only 500 M3/ week), Elon will be sleeping at the factory.... Now, if numbers fall between 1,200-1,400 (last 7 days burst rate) then that will not be a good thing as it shows we are much slower than anticipated and there’s another level of hell we’ll be experiencing and a capital raise is necessary so we don’t cut it too close to the edge. Might as well raise the capital this Q.

I’ll be sitting back, and watching it unfold tomorrow. At this point in time, I would still avoid options, they don’t call it a suckers bet for nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.