Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old but very interesting TED Talk on this topic: A tale of two political systems
That was a junk talk. The critique from Yasheng Huang is better. Eric Li missed the fundamental feature of democracy. When the current leader is incompetent and distrusted by the people, democracy allows the leader to be removed peacefully. History shows that when the leader is incompetent and distrusted by the people, the leader WILL be removed, one way or another. So if he isn't removed peacefully, he will be removed violently. This is probably why democracies have fewer disastrous civil wars.

China, due to excess authoritarianism, is going to have a violent coup sooner or later; the system is not stable. Or, y'know, they could establish some form of democracy.

After realizing what the fundamental feature of democracy is, I had a conclusion: personallly I think we should have recall elections and let leaders hang around until they're recalled or resigned. :)

The authority of the Chinese Communist Party is not derived from the consent of the Chinese people but on the CCP's promise of ever rising standards of living, particularly lifting those still in extreme poverty out of it.

If that goes the CCP and its government can very well collapse like a house of cards.

I agree with much of what is in your post,. The difference between the Soviet case and China's is their leadership is acutely aware of the part high lighted above and is taking public and decisive steps at amelioration, say, of climate change. Xi, despite his authoritarian tendencies is aware of the dangers of dissent at home. The bureaucracy of the old Soviet Union was clearly moving in the opposite direction. Khrushev's early efforts at reform, some of which really were "hair-brained" were stymied when the Central Committee removed him from office in 1964. At the time Bzrezinski wrote a piece entitled: "The Revolt of the Bureaucrats."

I leave to others here who are more competent to address the pernicious effect of big oil and big auto who might be behind, at this point, a drop of over three percent in TSLA. More political cautions can be found elsewhere.

I agree, I was just thinking that a different more rational union might cut the legs out from under the UAW and end their trouble making attempts.
she did delete her tweet trolling for malcontents. She must have gotten enough hits to take it down. She’s making a living suddenly and gaining front page status for going low and dishing dirt. She may have been encouraged to start this by some shorts, but I’m sure this is now a career path. Tesla clickbait gets clicks. Bulls and bears.
Hopefully long term this is just free advertising and it’s all proven as rehash and solved, or BS from shorts and unioneers.

she did delete her tweet trolling for malcontents. She must have gotten enough hits to take it down. She’s making a living suddenly and gaining front page status for going low and dishing dirt. She may have been encouraged to start this by some shorts, but I’m sure this is now a career path. Tesla clickbait gets clicks. Bulls and bears.
Hopefully long term this is just free advertising and it’s all proven as rehash and solved, or BS from shorts and unioneers.

I know we have all heard this a lot lately but the "fake news" is really something. I remember reading articles and never having to figure out if it was fake news or not. Now when I read anything I have to do my own research to get to the facts. Its really sad that these are our times!! Maybe someday there will be a punishment for intentionally publishing "fake news".

Reactions: sundaymorning
I know we have all heard this a lot lately but the "fake news" is really something. I remember reading articles and never having to figure out if it was fake news or not. Now when I read anything I have to do my own research to get to the facts. Its really sad that these are our times!! Maybe someday there will be a punishment for intentionally publishing "fake news".

fwiw, I thought about this quite a bit the past few years. I think the response lies in dramatically increasing the incentive to produce content of real value to the public. I do think that is possible, especially online. I actually have a somewhat detailed outline of a tool designed to do this. I'm sure there's more than one way to do it.

That said, sometimes when I read these "articles," my initial reaction is something like- this one, this looks like one Tesla can take to court (not an expert on this, but, some here have suggested the standard is very high).

As a Tesla specific thing, I'd like to see Elon going back to more interviews like he did 2012-2015, when he's not in sleep-at-the-factory levels of workload. Elon can be quite efficient and potent in communicating rebuttals to gibberish, but, they need to be heard, and heard directly. I'll also repeat my suggestion of specifically trying to do a one-on-one live (can't be materially edited) on the likes of CNBC or Bloomberg with someone credible and knowledgable about the auto industries as much as once a quarter (comment #2 in this thread, Investor CONSTRUCTIVE Suggestions and/or Requests of Tesla)

Last edited:
It would be nice to have an algorithm that would recursively search for the genesis of the article and the meme. The Elon gets 5 billion in subsidies written by a ghost author is a great example of a meme created by fake news. It created an anchor point for many that Elon and all of his businesses were gravy sucking pigs.

It would be nice to have an algorithm that would recursively search for the genesis of the article and the meme. The Elon gets 5 billion in subsidies written by a ghost author is a great example of a meme created by fake news. It created an anchor point for many that Elon and all of his businesses were gravy sucking pigs.

fwiw, I'm about 99% sure that one was first popularized by the LA TImes, and pretty sure made up there as well.

(Official Response from Tesla)A Not So Revealing Story

We welcome constructive criticism, but those who care about journalistic integrity should strive for the truth above all. Unfortunately, the writers at Reveal have published an article that paints a completely false picture of Tesla and what it is actually like to work here. In our view, what they portray as investigative journalism is in fact an ideologically motivated attack by an extremist organization working directly with union supporters to create a calculated disinformation campaign against Tesla. The piece even includes an interview with Worksafe – the same organization that the UAW enlisted to publish a negative report against Tesla last year, and whose board includes labor union officials and advocates.

(Official Response from Tesla)A Not So Revealing Story

We welcome constructive criticism, but those who care about journalistic integrity should strive for the truth above all. Unfortunately, the writers at Reveal have published an article that paints a completely false picture of Tesla and what it is actually like to work here. In our view, what they portray as investigative journalism is in fact an ideologically motivated attack by an extremist organization working directly with union supporters to create a calculated disinformation campaign against Tesla. The piece even includes an interview with Worksafe – the same organization that the UAW enlisted to publish a negative report against Tesla last year, and whose board includes labor union officials and advocates.

wow, reading the whole rebuttal from the link it is very strong and detailed.

this is a great start. I still think Tesla needs to have someone follow it up on air at CNBC, Bloomberg, etc, otherwise it is likely to simply be reported as “Tesla buried head and shoots the messenger on poor safety procedures”, “Once more thin skinned flailing from Musk, questions build re his remaining Tesla CEO,” “Amid mounting problems Tesla showing signs of desperate bunker mentality.”.

Great blog Tesla... please make the financial network rounds to fortify this response and diminish the ability of various media outlets to try to spin it into more FUD and/or just dodge covering it!

So they are leaving it up to the dealers to install the superchargers and pay for the electricity? Good luck with that.
Doesn't make much sense does it. Im not sure what the incentive for the dealers to install the chargers. one may say that their customers buying their EV's would want it but anyone who owns EV would say thats not the case as owners you charge at your residence for anything other than traveling. Therefore, only out of town customers would need to use the charger so I don't see any incentive for the dealer to install for Porsche owners who are not their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.