Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget Tesla, forget EVs, just get on Twitter and counter the crap storm that is $TSLA.

Simply Wow! I just checked out $TSLA. Talk about vial and putrid! I thought the garbage I would see on “Seeking Incompentence” was bad. There are people trolling simple because Tesla boots employee cars or that the factory lot is only 95% which obviously must mean they are going out of business.

Once the ICE tank fill up is >$100 the Consumer will take notice and take action. Ford's foray to drop cars will backfire. EVs will prosper.

Ford Fusion base 23 mpg city 34 mpg highway
Ford Escape base 23 mpg city 30 mpg highway.

They have comorable space except Escape can fit a lazy boy with second row folded down.

As Model X and Jaguar I Pace show you can make a Crossover electric.

Ford is making a 300 mile range BEV Crossover in 2020.

BEVs don't need to be small hatchbacks or sedans.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
My neighbor bought an X last year. He test drove it and loved it, but had a hard time just the price. He test drove Audi Q9, the X7 and Mercedes. All were so so-so after the X, he ran the lifetime cost of ownership and decided if he kept it 6 years, the extra cost would pay for itself. Driving from 32 miles outside of Chicago, AP is an added bonus he did not monetize.

Is your neighbor a time traveller from the future?

The Audi Q9 and BMW X7 are about a year away from production.

Maybe he test drove the Audi Q7 and BMW X5?

Every little bit helps but frankly, no one reads seeking alpha comments unless they are looking for confirmation of their skewed ideas. Twitter is much bigger and way more powerful. One yet can be retweeted and favorited, which had a viral effect where seeking alpha is contained to that one article. That is why there are pro tweeters posting all day and all night. They know they can trick and deceive larger numbers of people. I was in denial for a while and thought there was no way anyone could believe that crap, but to many people are gullible and to lazy to research for themselves.
I troll the trolls and fact check, call bs and link back to facts. It’s better than gripping here and may help counter the shorts story. All that really counts is model 3 execution in the near term, but the trolls have owned twitter for too long.

I was in denial for a while and thought there was no way anyone could believe that crap, but to many people are gullible and to lazy to research for themselves.

I suspect only a small handful of small time investors fit that category but if you have the passion and energy to engage on twitter all the more power to you.

Nice! HyperChange is getting to ask a question at the Q1ER call

upload_2018-4-30_19-40-13.png

"“I’m not sleeping on the (factory) floor...I’m too old for that crap.”

Ram Truck Production Reportedly Held Back by Suppliers - Motor Trend

As we previously reported, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne has already admitted that building the 2019 Ram 1500 at the retooled Sterling Heights plant has been more difficult than expected. On a recent call with investors, Marchionne said the plant is “running at 60 percent of cycle today which is not where we need to be,” and that FCA “allowed enough time in 2017 to get that installation up, but it’s proven to be challenging.”

Automotive News reports that according to one source inside Ram, Fiat Chrysler’s decision to continue building the older generation had caused a problem for suppliers. The demand for parts is reportedly so high, those suppliers are having a hard time “keeping up.” The source also told Automotive News that construction hasn’t been completed on the facility and that some factory workers still need additional training. More than 2,500 completed Ram 1500s are allegedly being held, awaiting repair for an unnamed electrical issue.

After reminding investors that the $300 million these delays have added to the cost of Ram production “are temporary costs,” Marchionne promised that FCA would make up for these production losses by the end of the year. That’s because, at full capacity, the Sterling Heights facility will be capable of producing 100,000 more trucks per year than the Warren plant could.

Just don’t expect Marchionne to take a page out of Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s book and move into the factory. “I’m not sleeping on the floor,” he said. “You have to be Elon’s age to do it. I’m too old for that crap.”

Top%2BBrands.PNG

Finally, looking at the Fast-Charging protocols race, the 43kW AC of the Renault Zoe has only 3% share, the Tesla SC standard has 10% of PEV sales, Chademo has 13% and now the juiciest pieces of information...

...There has been a lot of talk regarding the supremacy of CCS over the remaining fast-charging standards, and that we should ditch everything else, but the truth is that at 8% share of sales, it is not only behind Chademo, but also behind the proprietary Tesla SC standard. And that's before mentioning the elephant in the room, GB/T. The Chinese standard has 14% of all sales...Making it the Best Selling standard in 2018.

EV Sales: Global Top 10 March 2018

Top 10 PEV Cars in Global Sales in Link

Nice! HyperChange is getting to ask a question at the Q1ER call

View attachment 298006

I have nothing against this guy, however, I'm puzzled about the excitement. What little I've seen of him appears to be little more than a Tesla fan trolling TMC and expressing our general sentiments elsewhere. While I'm all for solid information being distributed across as many channels as possible, I don't see how having him on the CC will be useful.

Reactions: replicant
I have nothing against this guy, however, I'm puzzled about the excitement. What little I've seen of him appears to be little more than a Tesla fan trolling TMC and expressing our general sentiments elsewhere. While I'm all for solid information being distributed across as many channels as possible, I don't see how having him on the CC will be useful.
That my be the case. It's still gotta be better than Elon having to explain "soap" to some idiotic analyst.

I respect and thank those willing to spend the time and energy fighting the FUD but I personally don't think it helps much, if at all. I also don't do social media as I've said before. I do have a twitter account and follow a few people but I have never tweeted. I learned long ago I can't change people's minds for them, it's takes being hit over the head over and over by reality before they even start to consider it.

When I see something on FB about EVs, inevitably I have to read the comments and there’s always a comment saying ‘you can’t go from x to y because it will take z time with an EV’. When I answer with a link to abrp that clearly shows their statement is not true, I never get an answer back. Another example that it is very difficult to change somebody’s mind.

Reactions: sub and Tenable
Anyone know about Taxi fleets? Once M3 becomes more available - what are the chances that many will convert to all electric?
Tesla could just give them corporate rates on charging etc?
The Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) taxi company is in the process of replacing their Model S fleet with Model X. Certainly at airports you need taxis that can carry lots of luggage, so I doubt Model 3 would be suitable.

• Informative
Reactions: elasalle
None other than Steve Blank is saying that Tesla needs a change in order to execute.

Personally, I think he's using the wrong lens as he uses the main pivot point of cars as what this company is about rather than all things electric. It's a technology company and should start being thought of as one. Any one have thoughts as to why it's not?

I think he has a point. Many, including @neroden, have suggested that Musk needs someone at Tesla who functions the way Gwynne Shotwell does at SpaceX. As I read it, that’s what Steve Blank is arguing for— a Tim Cook type, or an Alfred Sloan type in his analogy. I don’t think it matters much whether that person is COO (reporting to Musk as CEO) or CEO (reporting to Musk as Chairman).

Status
Not open for further replies.