Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know. His investment strategy fits, long term view, doesnt care for short term volatility, already invested into BYD. Doesnt mind squeezing out the shorts, but don' t thiink thats his primary goal, he thinks 10 years like Elon.
You should know. If Elon leave, Tesla won't be Tesla any more. Buffet invests in businesses even idiots can run for a while.

Edit:. And you know his attitude towards debt. What's Tesla's debt level again?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
You should know. If Elon leave, Tesla won't be Tesla any more. Buffet invests in businesses even idiots can run for a while.

Edit:. And you know his attitude towards debt. What's Tesla's debt level again?

Elon is the visionary and the most aggressive in direction setting, but he is not the only one, just the most vocal. There are a lot of other heavy lifters at tesla that create massive value. Tesla would be highly profitable for a long time even if Elon got bored and left, just like Apple did not go under when Steve Jobs got sick. The potential is clear at this point and all they have to do is execute on it. Just find somebody with a Model 3 and drive it and you know what I mean.

Here is the main reason I decided this family would drive electric and we installed lots of PV back in 2012. And it is why I continue to support Tesla.
polar-bear-and-cub-on-a-floating-chunk-ira-meyer.jpg

Wow ... Elon's got everyone guessing. Hope it's not just hot air but the only thing I can think of is some larger company taking some kind of equity stake in Tesla.

I really like Warren Buffet but Tesla is not his style at all .... even his stake in Apple is really because he has, in the last few years, started to rely more on members of his team for investing ideas. That said, Apple is in a completely different point in their corporate lifecycle, one that appeals to Warren in terms of revenue stream. Tesla may get there, I certainly think they will but they sure as heck aren't there yet. Plus Berkshire just had their annual meeting and not a word was said .... that would have been the time to announce any kind of large investment. I say the Berkshire this is highly improbable.

I have no idea what the hell Elon's tweeting about but I sure hope it's got some substance behind it. I also wish he wouldn't tweet about this crap ... just do it. These kind of threats defending the stock are not becoming of a CEO, yes as a shareholder part of me enjoys the fact that Elon is active in terms of share price but really he shouldn't be a cheerleader for the stock .... just build the freaking cars and manage the company .... the stock price will take care of itself. Not to mention the legal implications which may or may not be there but why give shorts ammo if and when he announces something.

Cheers to the longs ....

Just saw a commercial for the Karma Revero on CNN. They called it the world's most beautiful "electric" car but fail to point out it has a 50 mile range for the battery. Furthermore, in the commercial they show someone plugging it in giving the impression it's really an electric car unfortunately most will be very disappointed when they find out the truth.

Tesla has no competition as of right now, that may change but for the time being I'm very happy to be a shareholder.

Reactions: SteveG3
Wow ... Elon's got everyone guessing. Hope it's not just hot air but the only thing I can think of is some larger company taking some kind of equity stake in Tesla.

I really like Warren Buffet but Tesla is not his style at all .... even his stake in Apple is really because he has, in the last few years, started to rely more on members of his team for investing ideas. That said, Apple is in a completely different point in their corporate lifecycle, one that appeals to Warren in terms of revenue stream. Tesla may get there, I certainly think they will but they sure as heck aren't there yet. Plus Berkshire just had their annual meeting and not a word was said .... that would have been the time to announce any kind of large investment. I say the Berkshire this is highly improbable.

I have no idea what the hell Elon's tweeting about but I sure hope it's got some substance behind it. I also wish he wouldn't tweet about this crap ... just do it. These kind of threats defending the stock are not becoming of a CEO, yes as a shareholder part of me enjoys the fact that Elon is active in terms of share price but really he shouldn't be a cheerleader for the stock .... just build the freaking cars and manage the company .... the stock price will take care of itself. Not to mention the legal implications which may or may not be there but why give shorts ammo if and when he announces something.

Cheers to the longs ....

I highly doubt it’s Berkshire. Maybe down the road when they are profitable... For the time being I think it could be a, or more than one Chinese firm likely interested in an investment if they open in China. This makes the most sense for me because he sounded like he had already made up his mind about where the gigafactory will be (as in the exact city), unlike the rodeo show where he had Arizona, Texas, Ca, NV fighting for a bid. China, as we all know, is leading the charge in EV and alternative energy adoption, companies over there are likely looking at the benefits of the Tesla/Panasonic deal, seeing Tesla’s brand awareness and innovation, likely reached out to Tesla when President Xi announced his decision to open up its market. Elon just seems too sure of himself these days it’s hard to look past how much he’s changed from earlier days of “production hell” to now, where he’s clearly identified exact bottlenecks to tackle. The previous CC gave me confidence that he’s on the right track. He used to tweet about production hell, but now it’s a different tone.

Reactions: SunCatcher and kbM3
Lots of emotions running wild lately. Public announcement: take the emotions out of trading. Yes it’s an advice. We been been here before and will 100% see it again for many years to come. This is the game we play investing in Tesla.

Doc did we go back to the future? No Marty you are invested in Tesla stocks.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeC and AZRI11
Another negative nugget about Buffet and Tesla. He has said he is weak about technology. On the other hand he seems to go for things which are sure bets about staples, like Coke, railroads, insurance (for money that needs investing). The key to TSLA IMO is battery storage. Once that is understood and the company matures its really like a utility. Tesla Internet, new wave of "no ownership", etc. combined with AI....The young Buffets will see that.

Another negative nugget about Buffet and Tesla. He has said he is weak about technology. On the other hand he seems to go for things which are sure bets about staples, like Coke, railroads, insurance (for money that needs investing). The key to TSLA IMO is battery storage. Once that is understood and the company matures its really like a utility. Tesla Internet, new wave of "no ownership", etc. combined with AI....The young Buffets will see that.

Warren Buffett: I was wrong on Google and Amazon, Jeff Bezos achieved a business 'miracle'

Reactions: kbM3
I really liked the move from Elon in the Earnings Call to switch to youtube (Gali)! Cramer as an independent thinker got it 100% right in the interview.

If we look in the past there was nothing positive about trying to answer Analyst questions who are just fishing for an expression that they can twist and use to write a negative article supporting their narrative. So why bother at all and give them the opportunity.

The management team tried to answer and convince them in the past and it did not work. If Elon confirms at Twitter, in interviews and in the investor letter that they will be profitable in Q3 and Q4, Analyst just say that can't be true. A lot of FUD came out instead and confused investors. Now we have a very different tone of the call and Gali's questions allowed them to talk about the future projects as well.

• 5000 Units per week peak production shows its feasible and its all now about incremental improvements to get to this in a stable rate
  • Großmann line still not live so costs will go down once it is.
  • Reorganisation will press costs down and combined with increasing output Tesla may be able to surprise very soon.
  • Automation level will not be low but they understand now that in some instances human hands are just better for now unless they find a way to automate later. Its all about productivity here and an iterative process.
  • Gigafactories to be announced in China and if I heard correctly also in the US, Europe would be my preference . Both include Batterie, Pack and Assembly so a full production environment in one facility. That will help to reduce logistics costs and planning complexity as well as help to be closer to the consumer.
  • Commercial batterie production almost doubled and will continue to do so. Very strong demand here and they are just constrained on supply. Thats very good news and we can also expect that the margin will go up again as the Australian project likely was weak on that part. This is past now and with the automation I expect healthy margins in that segment.
  • Batterie Technology is way ahead of anything the competition works with. Highest energy density, lowest costs and also the answers about Daimler and the Semi shows that they have build a technology other companies do not really understand. Cobalt reduction speaks for itself. Batterie costs and technology is a huge advantage and gives Tesla a lot of options and flexibility.
  • Superchargers are not about how many Kwh you provide and a focus just on the charging speed will bring strong disadvantages with it be it degradation or range. Porsches announcement may sound like they outpace Tesla but I have more faith in the Engineer Musk who understands the fundamentals of Energie, Power, degradation and Batteries since a decade much better than anybody I listend to. Porsches and Daimlers Engineers are truly great in ICE but I am not convinced that they are with EVs and Batteries.
  • Lots of other exiting projects are in the pipeline (Y,Semi, Pickup) but all hands on deck now to press costs down and increase output for the 3. Thats what I wanted to hear!
The SP is undervalued today and with that crazy amount of shorts betting on bankruptcy against all facts the upside opportunity in particular if you intend to be long for years is way higher than anything that may happen on the down side. For that reason I planned to buy again into the anticipated dip after the call and did.

Status
Not open for further replies.