Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to not get over excited with Elon’s short squeeze tweets, but it is getting more and more difficult.

How are you guys doing it?

By focusing on the next big move. Tesla's next big move is already set in stone and my position is already in. So I am spending most of my time and resources on the Canadian Real Estate collapse. Now on year 2 of a slow melt.

By focusing on the next big move. Tesla's next big move is already set in stone and my position is already in. So I am spending most of my time and resources on the Canadian Real Estate collapse. Now on year 2 of a slow melt.
I’ve been waiting for this collapse for over a decade. I doubt it’s haopeninf, here in London the market has been stronger then ever. Homes selling within 24hr of listing, multiple offers no conditions

I used to think Tesla squeeze won't happen, because we already had the 2013 rally/squeeze. Now I think the condition is set to have a HUGE squeeze, very likely the largest in history. I don't know the squeeze will be slow or fast. The possibility to happen is above 90%. Even without squeeze, I think the company will naturally grow into one of the largest companies in the world. So buying more shares make sense to me. I have been adding recently. Will add more as soon as possible.

I'm unaware of a single other short-squeeze of the magnitude of VW's for a company of Tesla's market cap or larger in history.

When you take a look at what happened with VW, it appears to be tremendously improbable to about the hundredth power that the extraordinarily rare basic dynamics of the VW short squeeze exist with Tesla. Not improbable like on the scale of aliens coming to earth in the next year, but, like them coming to earth in the next year, and informing us that they are "Mork from Ork." I wouldn't have known this without reading about the VW squeeze- have a look below at the circumstances around that event,

"In March of that year, Porsche owned 31% of VW and stated publicly that it did not intend to increase that to 75%. Lower Saxony holds 20%, so Porsche reasoned it would be too difficult and expensive to acquire basically all other shares on the market.

On 26 Oct 2008, Porsche revealed that it had increased its stake from 31% to 43%, plus 31% in options -- 74% of the shares of VW.

Problem: as of that date, 13% of the company was on loan to speculators short the stock, and 74% + 20% + 13% = 107%. So if Lower Saxony didn't intend to sell them any (it didn't), and Porsche didn't intend to sell them any (it certainly didn't), the speculators would be completely incapable of covering those short positions. Just to add insult to injury, the other 6% belonged to index-tracking funds, also unlikely to sell on short-term moves.

In other words, Porsche could pretty well set its price and force the speculators to pay it. The price exploded, going from 200/sh to 1000/sh in just a couple of days."

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-greatest-short-squeezes-ever

I realize that is an answer from Quora, but, it is so well corroborated by this Reuter's article below, I find the the more detailed walk through I quoted from Quora highly credible,

Short sellers make VW the world's priciest firm

bottom line, there are extremely compelling reasons to be invested in Tesla, but to my view Tesla's prospects for a VW like short squeeze is not remotely one of them.

Last edited:
I’ve heard a lot of short squeeze talk over the years that never led to anything. My investment decisions are based on the assumption that it won’t happen. It’s good to position yourself to capture a black swan if it happens, but you shouldn’t plan on it happening.
Elon clearly knows something. The talk of barnacles reminds me of the shorts. Not a flamethrower couldn't ship soon enough.

I am willing to bet all those diesel fuel vehicles are VW ones right? LOL
Also the gas vehicles probably NEVER get worse emissions as they age in those calculations.
EV only get greener as time goes on.
The vehicles used in the comparison are:

Small cars:

Diesel: Mazda 2 Skyactiv-D 105
Gas: Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 CT
Hybrid: Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybrid Style
Electric: BMW i3 (94 Ah)

Compact cars:

Diesel: Mazda 3 Skyactiv-D 105 Sports-Life
Gas: Volkswagen Golf 1.5 TSI ACT BMT
CNG: Mercedes B 200 c 7G DCT
LPG: Dacia Logan MCV TCe 90 LPG
Hybrid: Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid Executive
Plug-in hybrid: Toyota Prius 1.8 PHEV
Electric: Hyundai Ioniq Electric Style

Large cars:

Diesel: Mercedes E 220 d 9G-Tronic
Gas: Mercedes E 400 Coupé Edition 1 4matic 9G-tronic
Plug-in hybrid: Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine AWD Geartronic
Electric: Tesla Model X 100D

Obviously, when you compare an X100D to an E220, you're not comparing apples with apples. They should have gone for a GLC 350d, or something similar. Even so, with the renewable energy in Norway and the stated assumptions, in my X100D I'd break even vs an E220 in about two years.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
Also, they claim that if you order 100% green energy in Germany you still get the coal or atomic energy mix which is factually wrong and misleading. The truth is that if you pay for green energy in Germany that Energy is produced and delivered within the mix of the entire population and has the required positive effect on emissions . Which electrons move into your dedicated batterie does not matter.
That's actually not the case. If you order green electricity, the power company will buy certificates from Norway, for instance. The renewables never leave Norway and the power company basically greenwashes their nuclear/coal. All buying certificates does is guarantee that somewhere in the world, an equivalent amount of renewable energy is being produced and consumed. (Just read the small print.)

This is a huge flaw in the current system, where the certificates are completely separate from the physical power. This means that you don't get the needed economic pressure towards renewables where they are needed. For the most part, I consider the current system so deeply flawed that it amounts to fraud. It misleads consumers into believing they are receiving renewable energy, when in fact, they are not. The certificate system is probably negative for the environment in total, because it gives people a false sense of being green. This means that to some degree, you can expect that people will continue to use nuclear/coal, even when they could have installed solar, at maybe only slightly higher cost.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stef
Elon clearly knows something. The talk of barnacles reminds me of the shorts. Not a flamethrower couldn't ship soon enough.

His very clear words to the shorts make me wonder. Its against his previous behavior where he just warned but never recommended and now he even attached a timeline to it.

It could be also a summary of his believe that the time is just due and knowing that a series of good news will come out that will trigger a run.

If you want to surprise the market with the one big news you don't warn the market upfront.

In any case the conditions are set for a very nice SP increase in 2018 at least and the downside risk is low.

That's actually not the case. If you order green electricity, the power company will buy certificates from Norway, for instance. The renewables never leave Norway and the power company basically greenwashes their nuclear/coal. All buying certificates does is guarantee that somewhere in the world, an equivalent amount of renewable energy is being produced and consumed. (Just read the small print.)

This is a huge flaw in the current system, where the certificates are completely separate from the physical power. This means that you don't get the needed economic pressure towards renewables where they are needed. For the most part, I consider the current system so deeply flawed that it amounts to fraud. It misleads consumers into believing they are receiving renewable energy, when in fact, they are not. The certificate system is probably negative for the environment in total, because it gives people a false sense of being green. This means that to some degree, you can expect that people will continue to use nuclear/coal, even when they could have installed solar, at maybe only slightly higher cost.

Allow me to politely disagree in the case of Germany.

My country produces more energy than it consumes. Sometimes its that much that even neighbor countries cannot absorb it and it goes into the bin. Its as bad as that.

Given that we are a net exporter the energy mix we have in Germany is not affected by the certificates that are bought and sold. Your statement is true though for other countries.

For the overall world consumption the system does work and is not fraud as somewhere the green energy is produces that you pay for. As we are one world it does not matter really where the reduced carbon emissions are happening.

Lets close that topic as it does not belong here....

The ADAC is not an independent organization and heavily funded and lobbied by the German Auto industry. In fact they live from the German Auto industry. I don't say its a fake study but its clearly not one that is neutral.

Secondly they come to the conclusion that an EV with green energy is more CO2 efficient than any other engine. Not so bad.

Not sure how they came up with the live span claim. EVs can drive many more miles than ICE cars so what is their assumed life span for an EV and how does that compare to an ICE?

Finally that Tesla is using green energy for production as well as for the Charging network has not been taken into account.

Also, they claim that if you order 100% green energy in Germany you still get the coal or atomic energy mix which is factually wrong and misleading. The truth is that if you pay for green energy in Germany that Energy is produced and delivered within the mix of the entire population and has the required positive effect on emissions . Which electrons move into your dedicated batterie does not matter.

I just have read that they marked the lifespan of an EV with 150 k km! Thats unrealistic low but okay for an ICE car. We have seen S with 600 k Km and still running just fine. Batteries can be recycled as well so the carbon footprint gets better and better with every mile.

If you set the parameters right you can twist all data in a way that the results is in line what you are looking for.

A short squeeze will probably but not be like VW as noted, it's unlikely Tesla will have over 100% of the float shorted and the rest owned by die hard longs. But that does not mean the stock won't get squeezey. If you look at 2017 you basically have a slow squeeze of short covering rallies. This is what I expect for next year as the onslaught of news on Tesla comes to pass. Basically this is the moment of Truth for shorts, it's either Tesla runs out of cash and cant get more while suppliers cut them off and they end up in bankwuptcy, or they are forced to start covering. Some will start sooner then later some will hold it until Q4 earnings and some idiots even longer.

Reactions: kbM3
A short squeeze will probably but not be like VW as noted, it's unlikely Tesla will have over 100% of the float shorted and the rest owned by die hard longs. But that does not mean the stock won't get squeezey. If you look at 2017 you basically have a slow squeeze of short covering rallies. This is what I expect for next year as the onslaught of news on Tesla comes to pass. Basically this is the moment of Truth for shorts, it's either Tesla runs out of cash and cant get more while suppliers cut them off and they end up in bankwuptcy, or they are forced to start covering. Some will start sooner then later some will hold it until Q4 earnings and some idiots even longer.

Fiction warning:
On mongo's planet (thanks to @sundaymorning ):
History repeating itself:
Tesla is picked to supply batteries to VW. Deal includes 5 billion in stock purchase plus 5 billion up front for expansion and 13 billion in guaranteed purchases. (GWh level deal) Along with integration of Tesla connectors on all VW charge stations.
To go further, Project Tim in Durand MI will turn out to be a green smelter to recycle all the diesel gate cars. Joint VW/ Tesla campus.

During a gold rush, open a stove that sells shovels.

Reactions: copyhacker
Nmc does have an advantage of having less degradation over many more cycles, but maybe Tesla has a solution to that if the data holds for Tesla's current nca packs and they can make some minor improvements. Even if they can't, they can pad the size of the pack with some spare range that is saved for degradation and dynamically unlocks over time. A million miles for the pack at 80% should be the goal.

Someone may already have pointed this out, but Dr. Jeff Dahn's research group has been working in partnership with Tesla for 2 years or more and after only a year claimed they had found a way to double the lifetime (cycles) of NMC cells.
Tesla battery researcher says they doubled lifetime of batteries in Tesla’s products 4 years ahead of time [Updated]

From this 1 year ago article:
"For the batteries in its vehicles, Tesla uses Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA) and Dahn said that they are also working on this chemistry. " And:
"He added that considering Tesla’s use of aluminum in its chassis, there’s no reason why both the cars and the batteries couldn’t last 20 years."

Partnering with Dahn seemed to be a major coup by Tesla 2 years back. Developments seem to suggest this is proving out.

There seems to be a German article on EVs that says that
EVs are not quite more green than ICEs, in terms of CO2:
Ökobilanz: Alle Antriebe im Vergleich
Basically, it says that manufacturing an EV produces much more CO2 than producing an ICE:
e18df858-5091-11e8-9a71-b4d79182be98_6IYINPKU7544-k1p-U1110740359464JYF-1024x424%40LaStampa.it.jpg

This is being picked by an Italian newspaper now.
German science is so very precise .

• Funny
Reactions: Johann Koeber
Status
Not open for further replies.