Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
Some ground intelligence from Tyson's corner, VA store. I have my 3 delivery scheduled for 21st, but walked in to see if I can get my car sooner.

They said the cars don't come in until a couple of days before delivery, and they cannot move it earlier, only later. Also I was told the cars come in a continuous stream and they are doing about 40 deliveries a week, past 2-3 weeks.

The guy who talked to me was actually their solar advisor and asked me if I am interested. Mentioned lots of buyers are getting solar too. Checked out my roof online and gave me some high level numbers. Gave me some new information, that makes solar more cost effective for me, than what I was calculating. Had an email back to me by the time I came back home. No hardsell, very good sales process. And their cost of generating my sale was close to zero.

People are underestimating the value Solar City is gonna add to Tesla.

Last edited:
It's highly likely that the model S with PM motors and 2170 cells will charge in real mph, at 250KW, faster then the mission E at 400KW. Even though the mission E will be much smaller and should be more efficient..

400+KW charging will require a lot of cooling and the battery will degrade very quickly or will be a very heavy, lower energy density format like NMC. Which will limit range and efficiency as we all know NCA is better for autos due to energy density, which is higher energy for less size/weight.
Please to be explaining why you think this is the case from a technical perspective?

Tesla is the most loved and hated stock, so it will naturally draw a lot of clicks and attention. Take for example this up and coming company looking to compete with Tesla. Everyone wants to be a Tesla competitor:

Tesla's latest competition in making efficient truck to crisscross country: Big Oil

105172067-starship.530x298.jpg

upload_2018-5-12_19-33-57.jpeg

Shell has wrap around windshield, flat rectangular door and trapezoidal grill.

Nikola Corp is going to sue.

These guys are highly sought after. This is why Steve Jobs won’t mention or acknowledge his engineers during earnings or shareholder meetings, he knows they’ll get poached. There’s always someone else more desperate to pay higher, give more incentives, etc. The fact that they’re going after Tesla’s guys just means they’re behind and want to know what we already know. I consider it a compliment.

• Funny
Reactions: justvisiting
Please to be explaining why you think this is the case from a technical perspective?
Boring, next question. Let's go to YouTube. These questions are so dry, they are killing me.

It's really simple.. if your car is more efficient by 25% and your changing more range between 10% and 80%, say 50% more range, then you will gave a higher rate of charger for a longer period of time.

A Tesla and mission E pull up to their chargers at the same time. The Tesla gets a mile every 275Wh assuming an improvement from PM motors. And the mission E is more like 325Wh/mi. The S100D starts charging at 250KW or 2.5c which some have reported with they model 3. The Tesla can charge full speed for longer while the mission E can charge at 350 for only a few minutes. The mission E will crush the s from 10% to maybe 50% but that only represents 100mi of range. The Tesla can add 140 miles of range in the same 10-50% but as the mission E slows down the model s will add another 80 miles or at a higher rate. If for some reason it doesn't show down, then I cannot imagine the coming system required for charging alone. It will show down.

The 350 KW charger is only 40% faster but the Tesla is 25% more efficient and another 50% more range. So over a 200 mile charge, the rate would be nearly the same, but the Tesla wouldn't be full. But you only need what you need.

These guys are highly sought after. This is why Steve Jobs won’t mention or acknowledge his engineers during earnings or shareholder meetings, he knows they’ll get poached. There’s always someone else more desperate to pay higher, give more incentives, etc. The fact that they’re going after Tesla’s guys just means they’re behind and want to know what we already know. I consider it a compliment.
Waymo has their own brain drain problems

Engineers on Google's self-driving car project were paid so much that they quit

Thanks for bringing up this article. I remember reading it awhile ago but couldn’t find it. The short version of this story is that tech companies like Waymo, Apple understand the value of AP and self driving cars, just look at Mobileye/Intel acquisition for $15 billion. So they pay these guys an tremendous amount of money aka “FU money”, in the end those employees saw no further need to work. Currently, Tesla/SpaceX
Executives are like superstars of Silicon Valley, they are highly sought after just like the Model3, who woundnt want that on their team?

I’ve read that the truck in front stopped at a red light, which means the road wasn’t a freeway. From the markings, it appears that road is a regular street with traffic lights. But very interesting that it’s 60mph.
I suspect that the reason that report says the collision happened at 60mph is because no one has any detailed data yet. The driver probably told the police that she was driving at the speed limit, and that's all they have right now.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Status
Not open for further replies.