Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the short sellers really do manage to force the stock down during the critical February 2019 period, I wonder if we can crowdfund $900 million in private-placement stock purchases to pay off the convertibles... I kind of suspect Larry Page would do it by himself :)
I love the idea that there would be a crowdfunding page for buying a stock

You know, instead of just buying the stock

"Reward level for buying 1 share for $350, is the T-Shirt with Elon's face on it!"

It's clear Tesla has proof that Tripp framed his colleagues by using their login credentials and planting spyware on their computers. The saboteur has no defense whatsoever. I'm pretty sure he did threaten to shoot up Tesla, too; good thing his friend called the threat in, because now he won't threaten again. This is adding up to a very clear picture.

We know Tesla's in-house general counsel isn't worth much (and I'm on the record saying he should have been fired years ago) so I'm not surprised he didn't typo-check the emails.
Sleuth hat on, does anyone know what “medical device company” he worked for prior to getting hired by Tesla? Again, he worked for Tesla for about 6 months and made a career change at 40 years old. Interesting to see where he came from.

Reactions: Drax7
Tesla confirmed the emails. It's mind boggling that Tesla's general counsel did not stop Elon from sending them. In fact it's clear he sent them without consulting anyone at all otherwise he wouldn't have to correct a typo directly contradicting his message.

All the points of Tesla doing this to discover who else is besides the leaks are well taken. But consider that the other side will just as well have the opportunity to run discovery. And as Elon himself wrote in an email 'of course a billion dollar company has millions of waste'. Maybe true but we know the message is going to be 'Tesla wastes millions'. At least, Tesla picked a firm that's apparently specialized in minimizing investigations and discovery disclosures.

If there's any doubt into drew's motive, notice that Martin Tripp's e-mail (the one that Elon responded with as being a threat) was not included in the chain. That's lying by omission. <--- Mongo set me straight on this one.

You're right that Elon shouldn't have engaged him, but judging from his response, it looks like Elon had a genuine/naive hope that Martin would repent for his transgressions.

Last edited:
If there's any doubt into drew's motive, notice that Martin Tripp's e-mail (the one that Elon responded with as being a threat) was not included in the chain. That's lying by omission.

You're right that Elon shouldn't have engaged him, but judging from his response, it looks like Elon had a genuine/naive hope that Martin would repent for his transgressions.

Click on the image.The e-mail you reference is there, but clipped on the initial feed view.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Same thought crossed my mind. This guy has a history, premeditated malicious intent
Written all over it.
https://sc.cnbcfm.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2018/06/20/Tripp.pdf

It’s interesting the media isn’t foregrounding the confession of Tripp to hacking the system and taking gigabytes of info on manufacturing processes. Also the claim he infiltrated 3 coworkers computers through code to exfiltrate data when he wasn’t there.

These are some pretty substantial claims and counterweights to the “whistleblower” narrative theme.

Also interesting Tripp went to Business Insider first wish his claims. Why not traditional mainstream, since this is safety/whistleblower story?

Again, this leads to why aren’t journalist looking into Tripp a little more and investigating the “third party” claims which appear to be where the real explosive story is... but, again, maybe that hits too close to revenue source home?

Reactions: neroden
You are right, I shouldn't have said significant. Although we also shouldn't measure this based on full Tesla inventory. AFAIK the discussion is purely about the gigafactory.

Didn't JB address the scrap issue at the shareholder meeting? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he said the scrap is valuable material that is recycled, not just thrown away.

Also, if this Tripp guy was a GF employee, how does he know exact number of cars produced in Fremont? I'm an anti conspiracy person, if Tesla was lying there would be more than this clown leaking that information. Hard to believe it's the crazy guy trying to do good for society and not the actual good people in the company protecting society/investors. Sure.

Marques Brownlee on Hot Ones. Talks about Tesla around 6 minutes in. (For those not in the know, Marques is MKBHD, a tech reviewer with a ton of subscribers, and Hot Ones is a show where various folks come on and are interviewed while eating successively stronger hot sauces.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes
It's clear Tesla has proof that Tripp framed his colleagues by using their login credentials and planting spyware on their computers. The saboteur has no defense whatsoever. I'm pretty sure he did threaten to shoot up Tesla, too; good thing his friend called the threat in, because now he won't threaten again. This is adding up to a very clear picture.

We know Tesla's in-house general counsel isn't worth much (and I'm on the record saying he should have been fired years ago) so I'm not surprised he didn't typo-check the emails.

I agree 100%. The evidence against Tripp must be overwhelming. That guy is a super idiot. I would expect him to engage Elon in mail and use stupid threatening language as he did. I don't expect the same from a CEO of company with significant legal resources. But yes, those in house resources are not as good as they could be if Elon hadn't somehow appointed his family lawyer as executive lead.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.