Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks!

If Gordon Johnson conflated that with Supercharging and used it as a comeback on TV twice in the same interview, I can’t put any value on the rest of his TSLA analysis.

He was downright terrible. That wasn't even his only major mistake. Tesla said last year's plan was to increase S/X production by 66%? Give me a break.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I will admit my bias up front. I am not a 'Chip' supporter as he is usually too 'over the top' on his predictions. Johnson is a blow hard and was not well prepared. Said many inaccurate or down right wrong things. I do wish that Chip had pointed out that cash was not 'burned' but invested in growth.

Personally, the whole exchange reminded more of an SNL skit than a good bear/bull debate.

Where is Galileo when we need him?
I wish Chip was ready enough to question Johnson's history and how he transitioned from Solar(SCTY) analyst to Tesla analyst? It's almost as if someone (gasp) pays him to 'weight-in' on SCTY/TSLA, i.e. shorts' targets.
But no, there is probably nothing to it, right!? Right!?!?

*more context in the "Elon Musk vs. short sellers" thread. Just one piece of info: his first (very negative) report on SCTY apparently coincided with first serious short attack on SCTY

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and Boomer19
I wish Chip was ready enough to question Johnson's history and how he transitioned from Solar(SCTY) analyst to Tesla analyst? It's almost as if someone (gasp) pays him to 'weight-in' on SCTY/TSLA, i.e. shorts' targets.
But no, there is probably nothing to it, right!? Right!?!?

*more context in the "Elon Musk vs. short sellers" thread. Just one piece of info: his first (very negative) report on SCTY apparently coincided with first serious short attack on SCTY

Well SCTY was a complete mess, so he got that right.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lhan
Do you mean that they no longer supply Clipper Creek J1772 stations along with Tesla destination chargers and that 100% of the installation cost of destination chargers is on the property owner/host?

According to the Chicago Sun Times Yes.

A suburb in Chicago cancelled a plan in the middle of an approval process for multiple Tesla/Clipper Creek chargers in their downtown shopping district.

According to CST entities now only get Tesla destination chargers without Clipper Creek or free installation.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Great video Thanks for posting.

Jon brings a to me new but very valid point up which is the Google search results for Tesla against all other Auto companies who revealed EVs or promised to do so. That chard is telling and has a high correlation to the units sold chard for EVs already today and even more so IMHO going forward.

IOW at the end of the day the consumer will decide with his money who will be ahead and with by a large margin more people searching for Tesla in google, it is a fair prediction that those are either the reservation holders from today as well as the buyers from tomorrow.

The car industry is not monolithic. The car enthusiasts and sports car fans are up on what Porsche is doing, but the rest of the public doesn't pay attention. Porsche had an SUV out for a few years before I noticed. Porsche's customer base is mostly made up of sports car enthusiasts who do want the best sports car they can find and people who want to flash the Porsche nameplate around.

Jaguar is another company known more for performance cars, in their case more performance touring cars, than family cars. I do think the general public would probably find the iPace more interesting than the Mission E, but both companies are niche players and the bulk of the public would never buy either.

The Mission E is aimed at the Model S P100D, which is probably the lowest volume seller in the Model S line up. It's the halo car in Tesla's line up, the best performer, but if Tesla lost that niche of the market it would hurt their bragging rights, but not their bottom line all that much.

Tesla's future is transitioning from a high end car company to the middle of the market. The iPace and Mission E are going after where Tesla was 2 or 3 years ago and neither car will be available at even Model S volumes for a few years, which puts them competing with the 2014/2015 Model S instead of the 2019 Model S.

Porsche especially has more resources than Tesla and maybe they will be making an equivalent number of Mission Es in 3-4 years. Jaguar might do the same with the iPace (though they don't have the resources of the VW Group, they still have decent resources). But they are behind the curve and most of the public is much more interested in what Tesla is doing than what the legacy auto makers are doing.

It's kind of like Apple and Android. Google was able to scramble and get another smart phone OS out in fairly short order to iOS's release. Android has more overall market share, but Apple is still able to charge a premium and makes more money than any of the competitors with Android.

Android isn't bad and has a few advantages over Apple products (superior interoperability with Windows being one of them). But Apple is one of the richest companies in the world. Most of the public thinks of Apple first when asked to name companies that make cell phones. Even Android users would probably be able to name their brand and maybe one other Android brand, but they would name Apple as a cell phone maker too.

I shy away from comparisons between Apple and Tesla because their industries are very different, however in this regard I think the parallels are apt.

I’m assuming that Musk believes production numbers alone will cause an “explosive” rise in the SP, but if he has another trick up his sleeve there are lots of options. My favorite would be the sale of the utility TE business.

The consumer TE business (Powewalls and solar roofing) makes some sense to be part of Tesla to leverage auto customer base, but sales of big TE projects to major utilities is a completely separate business. Why not sell that to a utility? It would inject billions into the balance sheet overnight, without reducing enterprise value since that business isn’t being factored into the SP value currently.

A multi-billion cash infusion without dilution or repayment obligations, coupled with imminent cash flow positive operations, would indeed cause the short burn of the century.

Most of TE's business is different from the car business in the sales and delivery end, but the production side is similar. Stationary storage uses different chemistry from the cars, but the tech is pretty much the same. The Powerwall has a lot of automotive tech in it.

They would find it very difficult to sell off TE because they produce so much of TE's current products at the GigaFactory with the car parts. They could let the solar panel part of the business go, but that's about the only part they could sell off.

You make desperate sound negative. As Warren Buffett said, Elon seems to like it that way. He thrives on chaos and unattainable goals. So it is a bit desperate, but it has been before and it likely will be again. Once Tesla is cash flow positive and profitable, hopefully q3 & 4, Elon will probably bet the farm again and build two gigafactories at the same time. China may break ground first, but Europe will probably follow quickly and maybe another Sprung structure to assemble Semi and Roadster. They have stamping capacity in Fremont and a subcontractor in Michigan and they need some assembly away from the main plant, unless Elon plans to build some boring tunnels for workers commuting and shipping.
What’s the closest place they could build an assembly site for the semi and Roadster with an available labor force? Washington away from Seattle seems like the best market, but could they use Sparks? Seems like labor force and transportation into the plant will be a growing issue. Sparks if possible would be nice, dropping off stamped parts from Fremont and picking up battery packs from Sparks.

Maybe a better description is Elon thrives on going after seemingly unattainable goals. Elon has missed on timing, but he otherwise tends to hit his goals. There are very few goals he has abandoned and quite a few he achieved.

Trip does a great job. I like his thinking.

On the competition question, it’s simple:

Are people going to buy a Tesla with a massive supercharger network or a Porsche, Audi, etc, without a charging network?

The only option for all these other companies is to use the supercharger network, which implies they will have to comply to Tesla charging capability standard (which makes Tesla the global standard of ev tech in the eyes of consumers) as well as *pay Tesla for access to the nerwork* which lowers Tesla operating costs each time they do...or they won’t come close to testing Tesla’s market share in EVs and maybe on the broader car market in general as Tesla grows its production capabilities over time.

The big companies do have the ICE production capability advantage, but the ability to battery Ev and fueling infrastructure is actually well behind Tesla and will be years before they catch up.

What Tesla consumer demand is showing they are looking a completely different experience to ice offerings of which Audi and the rest have not completely committed to as Tesla has, thus they won’t see the numbers Tesla is and will continue to enjoy until they do.

Gordon has been a solarcity and Tesla hater for years so it’s a broken record at this point and I see he works for a different company now so maybe they haven’t heard the record as long yet. He and Chanos pretty much the same argument for a long time.

The Europeans are banking on high speed CCS being as common as supercharging by the time they start producing cars in large numbers. That might be achievable in Europe where governments are helping and the car companies are concentrating their resources, but it's going to be patchy in the United States.

It is possible the European automakers will be able to compete in the area of charging network with Tesla in Europe, but not as well in the US. Some areas where state governments have encouraged it like California it might be possible to own a CCS EV and get around on road trips, but competing with Tesla will be tough.

Tesla has built in advantages in its charging network. A 5 year head start, streamlined convenience, reasonable rates for those who don't have free supercharging for life, small connector cables (easier for smaller people to handle), and for those who do pay a very simplified payment system. CCS has some challenges to overcome to even compete on par with Tesla.

The Tesla Supercharging network is also easy for people to understand - which is a huge benefit for mass adoption. “There is a Tesla supercharger, I drive a Tesla, easy”

With other electric cars it’s too confusing, Electranet, CCS, Type 2, Type 2 DC, FastCharge, Chademo etc etc. all these terms are thrown around for all these different networks with different payment methods. No one wants to buy a car that is this confusing.

Tesla has a huge advantage, not just the breadth of the network but it’s ease of use.

The Tesla Supercharging network is also easy for people to understand - which is a huge benefit for mass adoption. “There is a Tesla supercharger, I drive a Tesla, easy”

With other electric cars it’s too confusing, Electranet, CCS, Type 2, Type 2 DC, FastCharge, Chademo etc etc. all these terms are thrown around for all these different networks with different payment methods. No one wants to buy a car that is this confusing.

Tesla has a huge advantage, not just the breadth of the network but it’s ease of use.

Tesla has made charging on the road a no-brainer. Back in the day I was the kid called on to program the VCR, but I have never bothered to figure out how other charging networks work. I've seen videos and read about them and it looks a little more complicated than a gas station, but Tesla's way of doing things is easier than a gas station.

My mother, who was such a technophobe she refused to use any tech invented after the 1950s could probably charge a Tesla. She would be so intimidated as to shut down with most of the other charging networks.

Tesla Energy is the wild card for analysts. They can’t really get their hands around it since Tesla is the cutting end in the “energy generation and storage” segment and not much (or any) precedent to go off. The closest would be the utility business which PG&E might be a viable comparison.

When looking through the accounting, energy generation and storage is lump into one number as far as I can find. It doesn’t break out the details on the energy storage and solar revenue streams and margins. This is interesting for when the both the solar and storage begin to really start adding to the total revenue generation per quarter... will they begin to get more details out on the reports? Will analysts have the opportunity “to look under the hood” here and where it is going and how this real world growth could become significant in relation to the auto side numbers?

Year over year, energy gen&storage revenues have grown 92% compared to 26% for auto side. With the transition of Solarcity assets and personnel, they have transitioned the business from lease to loans/cash sales which 66% cash sales as compared to only 9% in 2016. Now that they have moved many of the solar sales elements to galleries (and still doing so). The solar roof is still in the initial roll out phase and could prove to be another significant revenue stream since there are over 400,000 new home construction projects each year in the USA alone. This revenue doesn’t include new roofs on already built houses.

In addition as the virtual power plant concept demos in Australia and California and the various islands Tesla is operating networks on, will show how grid services revenue and customer sided revenue streams will create significant long term revenue generation streams in the decades.

The home, commercial, utility solar installs. The solar roof product. The energy storage for home, commercial, and utility customers. The aggrigation/grid services suite of offerings. All deal with receiving revenue from energy generation calculated on $/kWh just like a traditional utility breaks down cost and revenues.

This should be an interesting second half of the year, for Elon and crew have stated repeatedly this is going to be a significant growth area and continuing so into 2019. Instead of the traditional car analysts calling Tesla’s valuation “ludicrous,” they will begin to reconsider after running the energy producer-utility sided numbers.

(...) "At 3 a.m. on Thursday, the time Tesla made him available for a telephone interview, he said he was trying to fix a glitch in the part of the plant where the Model 3 is painted. “The carrier that the car is on is coming out of the paint booth slightly too fast for the sensor to recognize it, and it’s tripping the sensor even though everything is fine,” he explained.

Tesla engineers are trying to reprogram the sensor so it can operate at the accelerated pace. For now, he said, “we have somebody standing there just pressing the ‘O.K.’ button to restart it.” (...)

Can Elon Musk and Tesla Reinvent the Way Cars Are Made?

I can help Tesla free up that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.