Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• CF618ACF-7492-4CA8-A594-A96B32466E65.jpeg
    CF618ACF-7492-4CA8-A594-A96B32466E65.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 85
GORDON JOHNSON JUST GOT SPANKED

AND IT MADE MY DAY
yes. by trip chowdry
btw gordon like 90th percentile in analyst ranking. dunno chowdry’s not that it matters anyway.
(chowdry called apple downturn right before they skyrocketed, for example). but johnson kept saying, “i’m an analyst”
ok, good for you. you’re more a muppet than anything, if we’re going to talk truths.

Last edited:
I suspect he read an article that they were ending free supercharge, and misunderstood what was going on.
yes he’s a complete blow hard. he’s sounded like an idiot. and the fact that he said that twice, and nobody called him on it , ON AIR, shows you what cnbc is worth

i gotta say, becky and ARS aren’t bad. even the fast money crew kinda calls it like they see it (when money to made, buy or sell), cramer kinda iffy, he’s said some good things but also bad.
but jeeze the “journalists” on the website and the other B rated talking heads midday are worthless.
Gordon johnson is a joke, he should be made an a example of. (maybe we’ll gt see that soon)
maybe when he finally loses his “analyst” position he can cut chanos’ grass

Last edited:
Reactions: Thumper and Lhan
I’m curious as to what revenue impact this is going to have... from what I’ve been able to find out, I’m hearing ~$12-15 for a full charge at superchargers.

For rough estimation, does anyone have an idea on how many kWhs have been charged over a year period on average?
i hear more like $7 to $11(peak) for model 3 but i’m not a good source

• Helpful
Reactions: kyne and dhrivnak
Even better, he is a financial analyst! Or so he says.
Not one of the best apparently. Keeping your money in a sock appears to be better than listening to his advice: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/gordon-johnson

What I find pathetic about Gordon's "I'm a financial analyst" throat clearing is that he's not really talking about numbers that have any meaning. He's not even analyzing. The true definition of free cash flow subtracts non-discretionary cap ex -- e.g. the cap ex required to maintain the business in a steady state -- from the cash flows expected by the business in a steady state. That would be a meaningful cash flow metric. If you do not make an effort to separate growth cap ex with maintenance cap ex almost any growth company will look awful, which is why Trip brings up Amazon. To be clear, with any company that is growing very rapidly, it is difficult to draw a distinction between maintenance cap ex and growth cap ex. As well, sometimes poor economics are hidden by a rapid growth story -- that's what makes them hard to analyze in terms of financial health. But Gordon is not even trying to analyze -- he's just reading trailing cash numbers. In doing so, he thinks he has somehow stumbled onto a blinding insight that everyone else can't fathom. Pathetic. In the very least, he should be comparing Tesla's total cumulative investment to date to an estimated run rate of revenue twelve months from now.

What I find pathetic about Gordon's "I'm a financial analyst" throat clearing is that he's not really talking about numbers that have any meaning. He's not even analyzing. The true definition of free cash flow subtracts non-discretionary cap ex -- e.g. the cap ex required to maintain the business in a steady state -- from the cash flows expected by the business in a steady state. That would be a meaningful cash flow metric. If you do not make an effort to separate growth cap ex with maintenance cap ex almost any growth company will look awful, which is why Trip brings up Amazon. To be clear, with any company that is growing very rapidly, it is difficult to draw a distinction between maintenance cap ex and growth cap ex. As well, sometimes poor economics are hidden by a rapid growth story -- that's what makes them hard to analyze in terms of financial health. But Gordon is not even trying to analyze -- he's just reading trailing cash numbers. In doing so, he thinks he has somehow stumbled onto a blinding insight that everyone else can't fathom. Pathetic. In the very least, he should be comparing Tesla's total cumulative investment to date to an estimated run rate of revenue twelve months from now.
now that’s a smarter answer than mine. mine was just knee jerk hate for a lying muppet. thanks @ChrisA

A NY Times feature piece on Tesla today. Includes a number of pics we haven't seen before.

Can Elon Musk and Tesla Reinvent the Way Cars Are Made?

The article clearly states (and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here that they actually confirmed this with Tesla) that the line in the sprung structure ("tent") is the 3rd GA line for Model 3. We also know it's GA4. So that puts to bed the arguments over whether GA1 is S/X or Model 3 (some were thinking GA1-4 were all Model 3 lines, while others were stating GA1 was the combined S/X GA line and 2-4 were Model 3). GA1 is definitely S/X, GA2-GA4 are Model 3, and GA4 is the 3rd Model 3 line. Now we have to be clear whenever discussing them whether we refer to GA3 or 3rd line ... because they're not the same.

It doesn't matter where. He can do what we wants. After all, he is an ANALYST.

I think he should analyze his Tipranks rating and then adjust his behavior to incorporate the appropriate degree of humility. He should begin each sentence with "I am a horrible analyst. You would do better to ignore me, but this is how Tesla makes me feel..."
He is the best analyst...just do the opposite!

He’s probably intentionally misconstruing the free charger installation projects they canceled nationwide. There was some articles for about it, They are obviously not canceling their network,

Tesla cancelled free universal chargers and free installation program going forward.

They didn't cancel any agreed to programs.

Various entities have now cancelled projects in development with Tesla destination program now that the terms have changed.

Now it is just free Tesla destination chargers.

Tesla cancelled free universal chargers and free installation program going forward.

They didn't cancel any agreed to programs.

Various entities have now cancelled projects in development with Tesla destination program now that the terms have changed.

Now it is just free Tesla destination chargers.
I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with the “free universal chargers / free installation program” was and how it’s different from the destination charging partner program. Can you elaborate?

Do you mean that they no longer supply Clipper Creek J1772 stations along with Tesla destination chargers and that 100% of the installation cost of destination chargers is on the property owner/host?

I will admit my bias up front. I am not a 'Chip' supporter as he is usually too 'over the top' on his predictions. Johnson is a blow hard and was not well prepared. Said many inaccurate or down right wrong things. I do wish that Chip had pointed out that cash was not 'burned' but invested in growth.

Personally, the whole exchange reminded more of an SNL skit than a good bear/bull debate.

Where is Galileo when we need him?

Status
Not open for further replies.