Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven Armstrong’s post simply says that they are feeling the heat. Echoes of Steve Ballmer when the iPhone came out ...

Ford is not poised well for the future imho ... Time will tell but my $ is on TSLA.

Cheers to the longs
With the recent ditching of all their sedans, Ford has put all their marbles in the truck market. They may actually come out smelling like a rose in the near term as the other legacy manufacturers feel the heat from Tesla. They get about a 3 year reprieve until the Tesla pickup hits the market.

Dan

With the recent ditching of all their sedans, Ford has put all their marbles in the truck market. They may actually come out smelling like a rose in the near term as the other legacy manufacturers feel the heat from Tesla. They get about a 3 year reprieve until the Tesla pickup hits the market.

Dan

2018 Ford EcoSport 1.0 3 cyl engine

18_ecosport-msrp_mpg.png

What do we have so far for today:
  • 5 k/w M3 confirmed
  • 7 k/w S&X&3 confirmed
  • On track for 6k/w M3 in July
  • Largest Battery project in UK (P400 M, 350 MWH)
  • Panasonic confirmes willingness to invest more in GF
+ Elons hint about profitability : "I think we just became real car company"
As I read it, the 730 MWh PG&E battery announced late Friday night looks more certain than the 350MWhr UK battery also announced during the same weekend, because anti-environment "environmentalists" are fighting the UK one (thanks to Communism, which wants the issue of the environment, not any solutions, and definitely never anything that improves their target country). Also, the PG&E battery could grow to 1.1GWh. Neither news has hit the US stockmarket yet, that I know of (besides very low volume extended hours foreign trading in Germany which even there already popped almost +7%).
2018 Ford EcoSport 1.0 3 cyl engine

18_ecosport-msrp_mpg.png
That's multiple levels of pathetic. I bet it rolls in corners. That makes me sad and disgusted at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Have we read the same article? Yes a lot of good details on production, but the 3 workers interviewed just happened to be the 3 trying to unionize Tesla. This gave a general undertone of Fremont being this unsafe slave ship.

Well damn.

I guess I was so excited to see the pictures, read about some of the detail discussed. Unfortunately my radar did not pick up the underton. I’ll need to go back and lock in on your points.

Thanks for the correction.

Comparison of the I-Pace to the S (in German)

Summary:
  • Nice to drive agile, quick and responsive
  • Well done fit and finish high quality interior
  • Display is way too small
  • Frunk very small, Trunk too small
  • Small cabin inside, no leg space
  • Traditional knobs and instruments, no innovation
  • Long distance travel an issue due to missing Charging Network and charging speed
  • No real AP or similar, cruise control could not be tested
  • Not as quick with torch as an S
  • Price too high versus what you get for the same price tag with an S 75d

I would add:
  • 90 kWh battery with low efficiency versus teslas technology
  • Production is sold out, so you won't get one if you even wanted
  • Constant OTA improvement of Tesla cars (SW updates) is missing
  • SC net is full regenerative energy or 100% green in Germany versus all others e.g. Iony with high carbon footprint

Tesla didn't hit 5k/week, sounds but the upper 4,000's. Only apology needed is you forum members accusing me of spreading FUD to me.
I'm already expecting the "oh come on! 5k in 7 days and 5 hours is the same thing as 7 days blah blah blah" excuses. Fact is simple: despite pulling all the stops (temp production tent, 7 days/week 24/7 production, 300 fewer welds per car),
Tesla was still not able to achieve 5k/week.
Tesla reportedly hits Model 3 manufacturing goal hours after its deadline

Tesla didn't hit 5k/week, sounds but the upper 4,000's. Only apology needed is you members accusing me of spreading FUD.

From that article:
Reuters said two employees claimed the 5k th car came off the line at 5 am. However, Elon/Tesla says they did 5k in 7 days. Hopefully the accurate story is in the Q2 numbers letter.
In the meantime, there are some possibilities:
Option 1: Reuters/ their source is incorrect and Tesla made 5k midnight to midnight.
Option 2: Tesla made 5k cars in the span of Sun 5 a.m. to Sunday 5 a.m.
Option 3: Tesla made 5k cars in the span of Sunday midnight to Sunday 5 a.m.
Option 4: Tesla was only counting cars that were started after midnight, thus including the entire manufacturing pipeline delay. This allows for 5k in the following weeks, but requires additional time for the first vehicle.

(Personally, I think this 'should apologize' line of thought is beneath the level of TMC)

Tesla didn't hit 5k/week, sounds but the upper 4,000's. Only apology needed is you forum members accusing me of spreading FUD to me.
I'm already expecting the "oh come on! 5k in 7 days and 5 hours is the same thing as 7 days blah blah blah" excuses. Fact is simple: despite pulling all the stops (temp production tent, 7 days/week 24/7 production, 300 fewer welds per car),
Ohhh, well played sir, well played! Exactly what I expect the narrative to be this morning from all the short positioned analysts trying to save their positions.

The desperation is palpable!

Have a glorious day sir.

Dan

If you really believe this, then you are missing the forest for the trees, which is what got you into your miserable short position in the first place.

Depends on when you consider a car produced. Do you count the cars that pass the final quality checks at 00:01 AM on Monday (and then went down the production line Sunday the previous week)? If so, then you definitely shouldn't count the cars that pass quality checks after 11:59 PM on Sunday.

While if you only count the cars that exit the production line starting 00:01 AM on Monday, you should count all the cars that exit the production line until 11:59 on Sunday.

Basically, you have to be consistent about measuring the production rate at a given point in the production flow. That point may be before quality checks without that being in any way misleading.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Ohhh, well played sir, well played! Exactly what I expect the narrative to be this morning from all the short positioned analysts trying to save their positions.

The desperation is palpable!

Have a glorious day sir.

Dan

Desperation about what? I'm not a short seller. I don't own any TSLA stock or any funds that short TSLA. I'm just defending my integrity that some have cast doubt over, as people on here called me a FUD spreader, when it turns out what I said was the complete opposite and the FUD accusers were the only ones spreading FUD.

Frankly, I find Elon's constant need for setting self-proclaimed deadlines pretty stupid. Especially when he always busts them. If he really needs to set production deadlines, keep them as loose internal goals, and tell the public more general figures, like "around 5k/week by around July". If you come up a little short like they just did? No problem, as a hard number was never promised. If you beat the internal goals? Then go ahead and gloat about it in public.

GM got burned making production goals about the Volt initially that they never came close to hitting. After that fiasco, GM never made public any officials production goals for their EVs. GM learned from their mistake of overpromising and underdelivering, but it seems Elon just can't resist putting his neck out there time and time again, only for the guillotine to drop. Luckily for him, he seems to have 9 lives like a cat.

Last edited:
Comparison of the I-Pace to the S (in German)

Summary:
  • Nice to drive agile, quick and responsive
  • Well done fit and finish high quality interior
  • Display is way too small
  • Frunk very small, Trunk too small
  • Small cabin inside, no leg space
  • Traditional knobs and instruments, no innovation
  • Long distance travel an issue due to missing Charging Network and charging speed
  • No real AP or similar, cruise control could not be tested
  • Not as quick with torch as an S
  • Price too high versus what you get for the same price tag with an S 75d

I would add:
  • 90 kWh battery with low efficiency versus teslas technology
  • Production is sold out, so you won't get one if you even wanted
  • Constant OTA improvement of Tesla cars (SW updates) is missing
  • SC net is full regenerative energy or 100% green in Germany versus all others e.g. Iony with high carbon footprint

Doesn't sound great, does it? Although I do think it's a nice looking car and it's at least a start.

I'm going to the launch event in Belgium on Thursday, just to have a look. Happens to be opposite the Tesla Service Centre :)

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB
From that article:
Reuters said two employees claimed the 5k th car came off the line at 5 am. However, Elon/Tesla says they did 5k in 7 days. Hopefully the accurate story is in the Q2 numbers letter.
In the meantime, there are some possibilities:
Option 1: Reuters/ their source is incorrect and Tesla made 5k midnight to midnight.
Option 2: Tesla made 5k cars in the span of Sun 5 a.m. to Sunday 5 a.m.
Option 3: Tesla made 5k cars in the span of Sunday midnight to Sunday 5 a.m.
Option 4: Tesla was only counting cars that were started after midnight, thus including the entire manufacturing pipeline delay. This allows for 5k in the following weeks, but requires additional time for the first vehicle.

(Personally, I think this 'should apologize' line of thought is beneath the level of TMC)

Option 5: Start of first shift on sunday until end of last shift on saturday. Because why split a shift into two weeks...

Anyone knows the time of regular shift changes? Maybe they even produced for a few more hours?

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.