Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BioSehnsucht

It's SW limited, the reason for the extra binning and burn in testing is for efficiency/ output power. The best units go to P and P+, the base (or extra) go to AWD. Each trim level gets SW limited torque/power/speed limits.

There can only be one dual motor HW configuration, otherwise the VIN decider would need another letter.

If the EPA numbers are correct (and not underselling by Tesla (my personal guess after the hp lawsuit)) and represents power at the wheels (not energy consumed): AWD takes a rear motor limit hit due to pack limits, whereas P has higher efficiency motor (at least rear, perhaps front and rear) so the reported power can be higher (358 vs 335, 10% increase) .

358kW is 480 hp...
AWD is 449hp...
GULP!

and they are probably underrated like the LR Model 3 :)

Reactions: mongo
@BioSehnsucht

It's SW limited, the reason for the extra binning and burn in testing is for efficiency/ output power. The best units go to P and P+, the base (or extra) go to AWD. Each trim level gets SW limited torque/power/speed limits.

There can only be one dual motor HW configuration, otherwise the VIN decider would need another letter.

If the EPA numbers are correct (and not underselling by Tesla (my personal guess after the hp lawsuit)) and represents power at the wheels (not energy consumed): AWD takes a rear motor limit hit due to pack limits, whereas P has higher efficiency motor (at least rear, perhaps front and rear) so the reported power can be higher (358 vs 335, 10% increase) .

358kW is 480 hp...
AWD is 449hp...
GULP!

just so i understand -
the rear motors are all the same production, but then they are tested and split up into categories for standard rear drive, awd, and P?

but in P vehicles, it’s not just about the P rated motor, they also use other materials to handle the power draw/output more efficiently as well? like that battery conductor spacex metal Inconel or whatever it is.. or in that only on the ludicrous S X?
thank you

Epic battle between Gali and Montana:

He wasn’t able to rebut Montana’s point about no model Y for 3+ years. Also didn’t explain the correct Thai cave situation where Elon was asked to help and one of the other divers asked him to contribute with the sub (and how he was treated by the diver).

I concede it will be interesting to see what happens after Q4 and what happens to Tesla’s bottom line as the model 3 starts to begin its run of normalcy. I however think it will still be quite profitable even with a mix of lower end models.

The lack of model Y for years will be a real bummer, though.

Reactions: neroden
just so i understand -
the rear motors are all the same production, but then they are tested and split up into categories for standard rear drive, awd, and P?

but in P vehicles, it’s not just about the P rated motor, they also use other materials to handle the power draw/output more efficiently as well? like that battery conductor spacex metal Inconel or whatever it is.. or in that only on the ludicrous S X?
thank you

I believe that is correct, same HW (internals), no Inconel contactors. AWD and RWD rear motors are the same batching, lower limit is max power power.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
He wasn’t able to rebut Montana’s point about no model Y for 3+ years. Also didn’t explain the correct Thai cave situation where Elon was asked to help and one of the other divers asked him to contribute with the sub (and how he was treated by the diver).

I concede it will be interesting to see what happens after Q4 and what happens to Tesla’s bottom line as the model 3 starts to begin its run of normalcy. I however think it will still be quite profitable even with a mix of lower end models.

The lack of model Y for years will be a real bummer, though.
Anything over 5000 is huge profits, and 10,000 a week should be at least 100-150 million profit per week. Regarding Y, if they can share the line, with 3, they could start production sooner than 3 years.
Anyhow, with Roadster and semi m, they’ll have 3 cars and 2 new revenue sources before Y comes online, plus growing TE.
Maybe all a year later than I hoped, but it’s all coming together.

He wasn’t able to rebut Montana’s point about no model Y for 3+ years.

What's the rebuttal? Does it make sense to start manufacture of the Model Y before substantial manufacturing capacity is added?

Tesla needs to be ready to manufacture the Model Y in case they find that the Model 3 doesn't have a sustained demand of 500K in 2020 and 2021. The tricky part may be to estimate how Model 3 demand is reduced by announcing the Model Y next year for 2020.

Tesla appears capped by manufacturing capacity. Starting a greenfield factory build in Shanghai doesn't change that situation. But perhaps they plan to build Model Y in Sparks. If they have been planning and investing in Sparks for the model Y then they could start building in 2020.

Reactions: neroden
Anything over 5000 is huge profits, and 10,000 a week should be at least 100-150 million profit per week. Regarding Y, if they can share the line, with 3, they could start production sooner than 3 years.
Anyhow, with Roadster and semi m, they’ll have 3 cars and 2 new revenue sources before Y comes online, plus growing TE.
Maybe all a year later than I hoped, but it’s all coming together.

Most bulls would tell you Tesla needs all those lines dedicated to the model 3 to be able to keep up with its demand. If so, sharing lines would cut into earnings that would otherwise be received by model 3.

Reactions: mongo and mrdoubleb
What's the rebuttal? Does it make sense to start manufacture of the Model Y before substantial manufacturing capacity is added?

Tesla needs to be ready to manufacture the Model Y in case they find that the Model 3 doesn't have a sustained demand of 500K in 2020 and 2021. The tricky part may be to estimate how Model 3 demand is reduced by announcing the Model Y next year for 2020.

Tesla appears capped by manufacturing capacity. Starting a greenfield factory build in Shanghai doesn't change that situation. But perhaps they plan to build Model Y in Sparks. If they have been planning and investing in Sparks for the model Y then they could start building in 2020.

The problem is this: myself, and to the best of my knowledge nobody else, is getting any younger. My ICE vehicle sucks and I want an EV. Myself, and increasingly more people, don't want a sedan--I want a sport utility vehicle. We can play the song and dance of when exactly they should and shouldn't start manufacturing the Y, but I'm not going to wait forever, and I suspect many others won't as well. The more years that go by before the model Y is released, the more market share & earnings they will give up to other automakers.

Specifically, I really don't want to wait much longer than 2020 (my car is a 2011 GMC Terrain). Will there be decent alternatives to the model Y available then? That's yet to be seen, but I wouldn't write that possibility off completely.

The problem is this: myself, and to the best of my knowledge nobody else, is getting any younger. My ICE vehicle sucks and I want an EV. Myself, and increasingly more people, don't want a sedan--I want a sport utility vehicle. We can play the song and dance of when exactly they should and shouldn't start manufacturing the Y, but I'm not going to wait forever, and I suspect many others won't as well. The more years that go by before the model Y is released, the more market share & earnings they will give up to other automakers.

Specifically, I really don't want to wait much longer than 2020 (my car is a 2011 GMC Terrain). Will there be decent alternatives to the model Y available then? That's yet to be seen, but I wouldn't write that possibility off completely.
Sounds like a candidate for an I-Pace. Go for it. It's all good.

Dan

Tesloop S 90 hits 400K miles with 2 pack replacements, one apparently unnecessary, and possibly the second as well if the original pack had been left unchanged.
Tesloop’s Tesla Model S Surpasses 400,000 miles (643,737 kM)

Before a firmware update that fixed this issue the vehicle’s range estimator became inaccurate. The estimator would decrease 10 miles even though the vehicle didn’t actually lose range. Upon inspection Tesla found there to be a battery chemistry issue that the software wasn’t calculating correctly prompting the service center to change the high voltage battery for safety and to study. 3 months later a firmware update was released, which had it been released 3 months earlier, Tesloop would not have had to change the battery.

Galileo is terrible in this debate. But he is so bad that no one who significantly influences capital markets will bother to listen.

I disagree, he made some very good points, especially about software and the Chevy bolt failure. He is also willing to critic Musk and acknowledge there are a capital needs for the Model Y.

Rather bizarre if you think MS's tired old arguments were better.

I agree. I'm just listening to his soporific voice right now. The last thing he said, as I was typing this: "the more they sell, the more they lose". So he's spouting the same kind of rhetoric he has been for years. But still, not only are Tesla still not Bankwupt, this guy seems to be blind to what's about to smack him and his kind in the head. I don't think Galileo projected himself in the most convincing way with all of his points, but the actual points he was making were valid and forward-looking. A lot more insightful than the at times self-contradicting points made by his fossilistic opponent. Yes, I made up a word just for him.

Reactions: neroden and JRP3
As an investor, the Munro breakdown actually quite surprising. It showed Elon and crew are really doing something special in every aspect compared to the rest of the auto industry. That level of integration of systems as well as cost efficiency only can happen with a well developed organization.

As such, this is clearly a company that will obtain cheap capital with no shortage of providers in the future. This is just reality.

I think the bear argument on a capital raise is farcical given what Tesla is doing here and it’s hard to keep people from wanting to see more and being apart of it.

Samsung has a comparable 2170 cell. Is the chemistry even patented for Tesla's cells? There moat is not a battery cell road map of improvements and those improvements aren't driving costs down. Massive scale and automation are. The closer Tesla can get to raw materials coming in one side of the factory and cars coming out the other with automation in the middle, the cheaper things will get. This scale is impossible to just copy. First and foremost, you have to have the will to do it, and thus far no other automaker has that will. Other automaker are hoping catl or Samsung or LG will do it for them. And eventually they will, at retail rates and high shipping costs.
I'm not belittling what Tesla had accomplished with the cell chemistry, only making it clear that it pales in comparison to the factory.

Really? Samsung has a comparable 2170 cell? What specifically do you know about this cell besides it's packaged as a 2170 cylinder to conclude it is comparable? Do you know if it is NCA? Does it have the same energy density as Tesla's 2170? Does it use as little costly cobalt as Tesla's? Do you know Samsung says it won't produce these in BEV quantities until 2021? Even if Samsung's were just as high performing, they won't be available for real use for three more years. A three year lead at minimum? Almost sounds like a part of Tesla's moat!

From Tesla Q1 2018 Shareholder Letter:
"Cells used in Model 3 are the highest energy density cells used in any electric vehicle. We have achieved this by significantly reducing cobalt content per battery pack while increasing nickel content and still maintaining superior thermal stability. The cobalt content of our Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry is already lower than next-generation cathodes that will be made by other cell producers with a Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt ratio of 8:1:1. As a result, even with its battery, the gross weight of Model 3 is on par with its gasoline-powered counterparts. "

Battery cell energy density improvements aren't driving costs down? The 2170 cell chemistry improvements allow them to store about 30% greater energy per Kg. No one outside Tesla/Panasonic knows just how much cost reduction over previous generation accrues from lower manufacturing costs at GF and how much from M3 needing fewer cells for the same pack KWh.

Your original assertion was battery chemistry and performance isn't a significant component of Tesla's total moat. Neither Elon or J.B. would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.