Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chanos had to publically deny on CNBC he has not paid for information on Tesla. This is what is needed. Have to have Chanos defensive.

Chanos then said Tesla is all sizzle, can’t deliver on promise. If the talking heads at CNBC had any real newsworthy curiosity, they would’ve then asked him about the technical/logistical breakdown analysis by Munro, and see how he reacted.

Thus far, they give him softball questions, no real testing of his theories/assumptions. His responses are always negative, which is not how a real analysis works. We all know in his “post truth” world that he lives in, if you say something enough to a large enough audience, people will start to believe you. The other thing you do, is always blame the target of doing exactly what you are doing.

He is exactly the embodiment of how the old media model game worked, but what he doesn’t really grasp is the next gen sees through this old game. The media game has changed significantly and he’s been about to grasp that yet, and will continue to be left “holding the bag” on good ol CNBC as he scratch his head on how his “expert” short plan backfired miserably.

I am pretty sure Chanos is an income source for CNBC. How exactly it works I don't know. If GM pays CNBC a lot to advertise cars, why would CNBC challenge GM in a negative way?

I remember once an interviewer was asking Chanos hard questions during interview, another interviewer made a hand gesture to cut it off.

Long time ago someone explained how some hedge funds manipulate stocks for their trading advantage. One tactic they use is to post various "news" on different channels, they even preplan to air which piece at what time, accurate to the minutes to create the max cascade effect.

If these guys can cause the stock to drop, I add more shares. If the stock goes higher, I either hold or buy more with new cash. When Elon sell his shares, I will reduce mine proportionally. I think he will hold another 20 years. Meanwhile I continue to sell Tesla cars by letting people test drive my car and by explaining to them why it's so much better than other cars.

I am pretty sure Chanos is an income source for CNBC. How exactly it works I don't know. If GM pays CNBC a lot to advertise cars, why would CNBC challenge GM in a negative way?

I remember once an interviewer was asking Chanos hard questions during interview, another interviewer made a hand gesture to cut it off.

Long time ago someone explained how some hedge funds manipulate stocks for their trading advantage. One tactic they use is to post various "news" on different channels, they even preplan to air which piece at what time, accurate to the minutes to create the max cascade effect.

i would like to know how it works too. nobody challenges these people when they get the airtime to make their claim. there isn’t usually a case made. just a stance with no substance. panelist never challenges.

i really wish someone would find that clip you spoke of (the cut off gesture) that would be classic.

Would have had to have been a 40 or 60 - the 75 came out in 14 I believe.

Right, the originals were 40, 60, and 80 kWh, later 70 and 85. Even later, 85 became 90, then 100. I bought my 70D in 09/15, so the 75 must have been 2016. So many versions its difficult to keep track of them. Its no wonder Tesla wanted to eliminate the kWh badges.
But, as he said, the cars are very compelling, and sell themselves, although none of my friends have bought one yet. Maybe once they see my Model 3.
I intend to hold most of my stock longterm, unless it really goes up by the end of the year, and then I might cash some in to pay for my Model 3. The only thing that might make me sell is if Elon can't get a handle on his tweeting. Its too gut-wrenching to watch him constantly fall for the trolls and their bait. Can't he block them???

• Disagree
Reactions: STARR X

I don't think he pays them, but there's definitely mind-control going on. In the example you gave where the questions started getting tough, it might have been a tin-foil sandwich wrapper that disrupted the mind-control waves which is why they had to stop.

Y would you even ask that? :p

Also GF 3 and even GF 4 will have some capacity online by then. Not sure if those would also produce S/X, or if those are better left in Fremont on lines already working at high efficiency But if some Model 3 and Model Y production is moved there (as much as needed in-region), Fremont would free up for the pickup.

I thought production of Model Y would only start ramping by the end of 2020. That would still mean production would start barely one year after presenting Mod’el Y (tentatively set at march next year).

i would like to know how it works too. nobody challenges these people when they get the airtime to make their claim. there isn’t usually a case made. just a stance with no substance. panelist never challenges.

i really wish someone would find that clip you spoke of (the cut off gesture) that would be classic.

watch for about a minute from about 34:45 (they’ve been talking about Chamath’s suggestion to buy Tesla’s convertible notes... leading into the on air moment you guys were talking about)

I thought production of Model Y would only start ramping by the end of 2020. That would still mean production would start barely one year after presenting Mod’el Y (tentatively set at march next year).
So you are right, it may be too optimistic to expect volume production of Y in 2020. One can dream. But if nothing else I would expect GF3 enabling higher deliveries in AP. I think some more demand can be unlocked in China if they have local production ramping by then.

If these guys can cause the stock to drop, I add more shares. If the stock goes higher, I either hold or buy more with new cash. When Elon sell his shares, I will reduce mine proportionally. I think he will hold another 20 years. Meanwhile I continue to sell Tesla cars by letting people test drive my car and by explaining to them why it's so much better than other cars.

I doubt that Jim Chanos pays CNBC. They apparently believe he attracts eyeballs, especially those of short sellers. Meanwhile, Tesla does not advertise so it is fair game in their eyes, especially since it is a disruptive competitor of those who do pay to advertise.

Just before the interview with Scott Wapner and his fellow Chanos friendly and Tesla bearish associates, Chanos was in a Delivering Alpha interview conducted by Tesla sympathetic CNBC personnel Melissa Lee and Guy Adami. That interview was not broadcast. For the Wapner panel, more balanced Pete Najarian had to give up his seat to Chanos. It may be that Chanos insisted on appearing on-air instead with Wapner and gang, and the producers gladly complied.

Last edited:
watch for about a minute from about 34:45 (they’ve been talking about Chamath’s suggestion to buy Tesla’s convertible notes... leading into the on air moment you guys were talking about)

If we draw attention to this, I could see it getting pulled down from YouTube. Perhaps someone here knows how to put the contents of the video onto their computer so that wouldn’t matter.

As another contrast to Chanos’ false narratives going very largely unchallenged on CNBC etc, consider billionaire Ron Baron’s appearances on CNBC. Baron amassed that money via his investment decisions. Yet, when on CNBC, nearly any time he’s talking about Tesla the past couple of years, he is fending off bear narratives the hosts are grilling him with as if he were a naive beginner investor. This means, 1) the bear narratives get another airing on TV, 2) Baron sounds like he’s on his back heels/defensive, 3) he does not have air time to lay out his strong bull thesis.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZRI11 and Boomer19
If we draw attention to this, I could see it getting pulled down from YouTube. Perhaps someone here knows how to put the contents of the video onto their computer so that wouldn’t matter.

As another contrast to Chanos’ false narratives going very largely unchallenged on CNBC etc, consider billionaire Ron Baron’s appearances on CNBC. Baron amassed that money via his investment decisions. Yet, when on CNBC, nearly another time he’s talking about Tesla the past couple of years, he is fending off bear narratives the hosts are grilling with as if he were a naive beginner investor. This means, 1) the bear narratives get another airing on TV, 2) Baron sounds like he’s on his back heels/defensive, 3) he does not have air time to lay out his strong bull thesis.
Someone should tell CNBC that Ron Baron is a billionaire and Chanos is a millionaire..

I doubt that Jim Chanos pays CNBC. They apparently believe he attracts eyeballs, especially those of short sellers. Just before the interview with Scott Wapner and his fellow Chanos friendly and Tesla bearish associates, Chanos was in a Delivering Alpha interview with Tesla sympathetic CNBC personnel Melissa Lee and Guy Adami. That interview was not broadcast. It may be that Chanos insisted on appearing on-air instead with Wapner and gang, and the producers gladly complied.

Yes- while I think it is likely Chanos and some at CNBC are incentivized to help the same campaign involving attempting to steer public opinion re Tesla/TSLA/Elon Musk, this does not require that Chanos is the party providing incentives to any at CNBC who might be part of such a campaign.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19

to be fair, becky may have been making the cut to commercial signal. either way. that was a good sitting by chamath. he makes a lot of valid common sense points. thanks for video link

As another contrast to Chanos’ false narratives going very largely unchallenged on CNBC etc, consider billionaire Ron Baron’s appearances on CNBC. Baron amassed that money via his investment decisions. Yet, when on CNBC, nearly any time he’s talking about Tesla the past couple of years, he is fending off bear narratives the hosts are grilling him with as if he were a naive beginner investor. This means, 1) the bear narratives get another airing on TV, 2) Baron sounds like he’s on his back heels/defensive, 3) he does not have air time to lay out his strong bull thesis.
yes, they spin it almost as if he’s a crazy person

Reactions: SteveG3
Status
Not open for further replies.