Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes- while I think it is likely Chanos and some at CNBC are incentivized to help the same campaign involving attempting to steer public opinion re Tesla/TSLA/Elon Musk, this does not require that Chanos is the party providing incentives to any at CNBC who might be part of such a campaign.

yes. again, JC is not the only one. he may just be the loudest, therefore the lightning rod. there are plenty bigger shorts behind the scenes that are all too happy to let him do their dirty work in the public eye

Reactions: SteveG3
to be fair, becky may have been making the cut to commercial signal. either way. that was a good sitting by chamath. he makes a lot of valid common sense points. thanks for video link

Does not look that way to me. Looks to me like an instruction coming into both Becky and Joe, then a hand signal from Becky to Joe ~you’ve got this (executing the instruction) or you want me to get it~. Joe then asks the non sequitor question about a previous topic that redirects Chamath from commenting further re how this “Elon is a fraud” narrative flies in the face of large, conspicuous basic facts about Musk, then Andrew asks a question, then after a couple of minutes music comes on and everyone knows they are going to commercial.

Of course, I can’t know what did or didn’t come into their ear pieces, but I strongly doubt it was a “break for commercial” instruction. For me, as Elon now likes to say, “sus.” Actually, quite “sus.”

Last edited:
Does not look that way to me. Looks to me like an instruction coming into both Becky and Joe, then a hand signal from Becky to Joe ~you’ve got this (executing the instruction) or you want me to get it~. Joe then asks the non sequitor question about a previous topic that redirects Chamath from commenting further re how this “Elon is a fraud” narrative flies in the face of large, conspicuous basic facts about Musk, then Andrew asks a question, then after a couple of minutes music comes on and everyone knows they are going to commercial.

Of course, I can’t know what did or didn’t come into their ear pieces, but I strongly doubt it was a “break for commercial” instruction. For me, as Elon now likes to say, “sus.” Actually, quite “sus.”
it could def go either way. id love to have been an earpiece there lol

This gets more intriguing... had forgotten about this twitter exchange, between Elon and MKBHD,

Twitter

So, not only might we see the first P3D reviews within the next couple of days, including MKBHD’s, we might also see the start of a round of Elon doing long form interviews with thoughtful, empathetic hosts within days. I’m thinking Tesla may have flown MKBHD to the west coast for some days with the car and a sit down with Elon.

As has been mentioned here a few times recently, Elon did this quite a lot up until about 2016, and they were very helpful re very large amounts of people learning about and appreciating Tesla, its products, and Elon. He tends to do very well in this kind of setting. Given the current quality of media coverage about the same, getting back to these kinds of interviews could be a tremendous lever for cleaning up tons of FUD. What’s more Elon often let loose some great nuggets for consumers and investors in these interviews with hosts you could tell he enjoyed being with.

Last edited:
Representative Peter Welch (Vermont) is cosponsor of the House bill to remove the 200k cap on the EV tax credit. Someone on Twitter posted a link to a Teslarati article Tesla buyers eye new EV bill that extends $7500 tax credit and removes 200k cap with a link to Alex Guberman (E for Electric) interviewing Peter Welch. Three main points in the bill:
1. Make the cap time-dependent not based on a cap per manufacturer.
2. Enable the customer to use the incentive as a rebate at the point of sale.
3. Add an incentive for deployment of public charging stations.

Welch of course recommended writing to US representatives.

Below is my draft letter if it saves you any time in getting your own letter out:

Congresswoman ____
Please support the recently introduced HR 6274, removing the tax credit cap on the sale of electric vehicles.

Because our domestic electric vehicle manufacturers (GM and Tesla) are reaching the 200k trigger, the current cap will disadvantage US manufacturers for their “early-mover” investment, and will disproportionately benefit the late-comer foreign manufacturers of electric vehicles who can take advantage of the now-higher demand that GM and Tesla worked so hard to create.
The additional provision in the bill to make the incentive available to the consumer as a rebate at the point of sale will especially benefit lower income families who do not have $7,500 of tax liability, and therefore cannot take full advantage of the current tax credit system.
The final provision in HR 6274 of incentives for the installation of public charging stations would provide impetus to create the robust charging infrastructure essential for consumers to be comfortable transitioning to an electric vehicle.
Thank you for your consideration of HR 6274.
Sincerely,

At the current rate, GM's Lordstown Ohio plant may be available soon. We'd welcome such a neighbor!

All of GM’s plants are under UAW contract, right? That’s the big drawback I’ve seen to acquiring either Fiat Chrysler or Ford. I don’t consider that a dealbreaker, considering all the cash and capacity Tesla would acquire, but it’s a negative.

I was thinking of Honda, actually. I believe their Ohio, Indiana, and Alabama plants are all non-union, but I’m not 100%. And during the last recession, unlike most automakers, they stayed profitable. Their profits took a beating, for sure, but they didn’t lose money.

Reactions: oneday
Right, the originals were 40, 60, and 80 kWh, later 70 and 85. Even later, 85 became 90, then 100. I bought my 70D in 09/15, so the 75 must have been 2016. So many versions its difficult to keep track of them. Its no wonder Tesla wanted to eliminate the kWh badges.
But, as he said, the cars are very compelling, and sell themselves, although none of my friends have bought one yet. Maybe once they see my Model 3.
I intend to hold most of my stock longterm, unless it really goes up by the end of the year, and then I might cash some in to pay for my Model 3. The only thing that might make me sell is if Elon can't get a handle on his tweeting. Its too gut-wrenching to watch him constantly fall for the trolls and their bait. Can't he block them???

40, 60 & 85. I have a 2012 MS85

I think Sparks is the most likely option at this point. I hope Tesla is considering options in Ohio, Indiana, and Alabama, though.

My birthplace of Anderson, IN was once a GM & Delco Remy & other powerhouse. It’s all gone. The entire city is essentially decimated. A true miniature Detroit. A good chunk of the population is gone, but the town could really use something like Tesla.

Nestle did build a factory there at least.

The owners of large auto manufacturers would never trade stock today at Tesla's SP and market cap.

The owners of Ford can sell their interest based at near today's SP. But Musk can not sell his interest in Tesla today for ~$20 billion. With a high flyer like Tesla SP is more like a spot price.

Tesla can not buy a large automaker. Tesla would not be successful if they bought a large automaker. I am sure that Tesla is not interested in buying a large automaker.

What Tesla needs is periodic capital infusions to grow production in cars and other products. Musk is not actually fighting with shorts because they want "to bring Tesla down". He is fighting with shorts because they are inhibiting access to capital markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.