Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK end of day one of install process. Few tidbits of info, so far 200+ FL installs. A few more PW2 installs in August in FL followed by a slowing till around October where a ramp should follow. Big backlog of orders in FL and antiselling is happening. M3 ramp is restricting supply of cells for PW but it is rapidly increasing to serve TE and M3. Current PV installs are presently using German produced panels.

Super professional, friendly knowledgeable crew whose focus was on my satisfaction. Really outstanding so far. A very bright future based on my experience so far!

Pics or it didn’t happen?
F8F34484-D0CE-4B58-BE51-7DB6C81BAC70.jpeg

Fire Away!

Incumbent ICE manufacturers underestimate the complexity to build EVs in large scale. The market perception is the other way around but I am just not convinced.

This latest news look like a confirmation to me that they did and still do underestimate what they are about to face.

Tesla rival Porsche is starting to realize it’s not easy to produce the Taycan

Tesla rival Porsche is starting to realize it's not easy to produce the Taycan

"As it turns out, ramping production of the Taycan is turning out to be a challenging task for the veteran automaker." (...)

“The existing location has to be demolished and rebuilt in a short time, but at the same time the production of the 911 and 718 Boxster and Cayman must continue to run. That makes it not only difficult in terms of time and money, but also in terms of logistics and mobility. After all, we are in a location where there is already a factory, where other companies are nearby and where people live nearby,” he said.

Audi delays launch of e-tron quattro electric SUV amidst arrest of the CEO

Audi also confirmed today that the e-tron will not make it to the US in 2018. It is “expected to be delivered to showrooms in the first part of 2019.”

Audi to unveil e-tron quattro electric SUV and start taking reservations on Sept 17 in the US

Jaguar delays some I-Pace all-electric SUV deliveries, automaker says it is ‘prioritizing’

"We contacted Jaguar over the issue and the automaker says that it still plans for customer production to start “late this summer”, but it confirmed that some customers are experiencing delays due to “prioritization”:

Jaguar delays some I-Pace all-electric SUV deliveries, automaker says it is ‘prioritizing’

AlthoughI am delighted to see that we have now more EVs rolling out later this year I am concerned that this will be rather a small production
about of 10 - 30 k units p.a. in a price segment of above $ 80k only with no functional and large scale charger network in place and still low range versus the price.
I think this very helpful post provides clues to an answer to those who say Tesla should buy Ford/GM/PACCAR/Massie Ferguson as a path to growth.
I would have also marked the post "Sad" if that were possible.

Have relatives that have had their model 3s for a few weeks now, both very conservative on the political spectrum, both say it’s the “best vehicle they’ve ever driven.” This car’s performance is party agnostic in praise in my circles.

Also, they both have become very much more educated on electricity and the economics of electricity consumption, which never in my lifetime have they ever shown interest.

They are now interested in solar and batteries for their homes, which wasn’t even on their radar before the model 3.

All I can say is this will be very common as model 3 sales scale up in sales.

With Evs, solar and storage will gain proportionate sales.

The energy industry will have a rude awakening when consumers start down this ev road, especially if predictions of 1/3+ of auto manufacturing becomes EV in the next decade...

Current PV installs are presently using German produced panels.

That probably depends on which panels you are getting installed. For example @MorrisonHiker is currently getting 325w panels installed that were made in the USA. (I think that they mentioned that they were made in GF2.)

That probably depends on which panels you are getting installed. For example @MorrisonHiker is currently getting 325w panels installed that were made in the USA. (I think that they mentioned that they were made in GF2.)
That's correct. We got the Panasonic panels from GF2 which are assembled in the USA. They also have a longer warranty than the non--US made panels. If you ask your Tesla Energy Sales Advisor, they can give you quotes on different panels. We asked for the most efficient available.

I think this very helpful post provides clues to an answer to those who say Tesla should buy Ford/GM/PACCAR/Massie Ferguson as a path to growth.
I would have also marked the post "Sad" if that were possible.

Considering that Tesla has (painfully) learned how to mass produce EVs, and no one else has, those factories are more valuable in Tesla’s hands than in anyone else’s. How to get those factories & that production into Tesla’s hands is open to debate, but the sooner they get there, the better— not just for Tesla, but for the world.

Reactions: neroden
so far 200+ FL installs. A few more PW2 installs in August in FL followed by a slowing till around October where a ramp should follow.

Love those SMA inverters. That's all I have ever installed, and they seem to be extremely reliable. I hope to get a call soon for my PW2 install too. Florida is a HUGE untapped resource, IMHO.

Is it wise to install electrical equipment and conduits along the garage floor? Inevitably water will find its way there some day. Always thought that was a no-no with electrical installations.

OK end of day one of install process. Few tidbits of info, so far 200+ FL installs. A few more PW2 installs in August in FL followed by a slowing till around October where a ramp should follow. Big backlog of orders in FL and antiselling is happening. M3 ramp is restricting supply of cells for PW but it is rapidly increasing to serve TE and M3. Current PV installs are presently using German produced panels.

Super professional, friendly knowledgeable crew whose focus was on my satisfaction. Really outstanding so far. A very bright future based on my experience so far!

Pics or it didn’t happen?
View attachment 320871

Fire Away!

Is it wise to install electrical equipment and conduits along the garage floor? Inevitably water will find its way there some day. Always thought that was a no-no with electrical installations.

It's galvanized conduit and the wires inside are THWN/THHN rated for wet (in ground in conduit burial) installation.

Edit: Sorry, missed that you said conduit and equipment.

Last edited:

Completely water tight! I asked the same thing in my particular case it would take about 2 feet of water in the garage till the lowest panel would be exposed to water.

The PW’s are fully watertight however I was told.

Cheers!

Fire Away!

Mongo beat me to,it

Status
Not open for further replies.