Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Tesla's intent is to do exactly that, I don't see any point in agonizing over how goods are shipped around the globe. Ocean and air transport aren't going to be practical to electrify for a long time, if ever; biofuels may be the way to go once everything else is decarbonized.

Many compromises are required in the quest to transition the world to sustainable energy and transportation. It will take time to decarbonize supply chains, distribution channels, etc. In the meantime, I'm not particularly bothered that Tesla is using diesel trucks to deliver vehicles, gasoline-powered vans for their mobile service teams, conventionally-fueled ships to transport products internationally, etc. Most Tesla vehicles will continue to be charged, at least in part, from electric power plants that use fossil fuels. All of this will change, in time. In the meantime, the greatest good is served by continuing to allow the global economy to function.

Anyone who is at all concerned about climate change should start by taking personal action in accord with available finances, including:
- Use the most efficient means of transportation that you can be happy with.
- Install as much rooftop solar as reasonably possible.
- Avoid consuming foods with very high greenhouse gas footprints.
- Use electric heat pumps for heating and cooling.
- Seek to insulate one's home as well as possible.
- Use electric induction for cooking.

Pursuing the above will entail buying products manufactured all around the world. Do it anyway, as you'll still come out way ahead.
I agree about personal actions, having lived most of my life totally fossil fuel free, even to the point of cooking with firewood, on sailboats. Often in communities not yet run over by consumerism, which had zero footprint. And it's better living than this American life of shopping. Your list could include 'resist buying so much stuff.' Thank you for the opportunity to present my non-mainstream view of free trade.

We don't have news yet. Discussion: Daily TSLA Trading Charts
Edit: That is about the bonds due next year Feb. (?). Sorry if I mixed up something.
Thanks.

$230M was due in Nov 2018, and $185M due in Dec 2019. I'm having difficulty finding articles that cover how this was or will be paid.

The crack press was all over this a few months ago when payment was in doubt, now it's crickets.

I'm thinking it is fair to assume that Tesla made its $230M cash payment in November without incident. Otherwise, had there been any hiccup, we'd be swimming in FUD wash.

I agree about personal actions, having lived most of my life totally fossil fuel free, even to the point of cooking with firewood, on sailboats. Often in communities not yet run over by consumerism, which had zero footprint. And it's better living than this American life of shopping. Your list could include 'resist buying so much stuff.' Thank you for the opportunity to present my non-mainstream view of free trade.
Buying stuff has lifted hundreds of millions of Chinese out of poverty though, and there are still many people that need to be lifted out of poverty. I promote to make stuff (mostly) carbon free instead of abstaining from consumption.

Buying stuff has lifted hundreds of millions of Chinese out of poverty though, and there are still many people that need to be lifted out of poverty. I promote to make stuff (mostly) carbon free instead of abstaining from consumption.
Hundreds of millions of Chinese have been lured into leaving their communities, culture, and land, and packing into cubicles in ultra polluted cities where they work at uncreative jobs, making the tons of c**p Americans pack their over sized houses with, until they die and a dumpster is filled with all this stuff, sometime not even removed from its packaging.

It sounds like you've had plenty of interesting, fulfilling adventures. There are certainly blessings associated with avoiding consumerism and living a relatively simple life.

One thing you mention, though, is cooking with firewood. On a small scale, that's not a bad thing, and I personally enjoy a fire on occasion. However, massive reliance on firewood for cooking and heating has brought with it air pollution and resulting health issues, deforestation in some areas, and black carbon soot which when blown around the world hastens the melting of snow and icecaps, thus contributing to climate change. Coal, oil, and natural gas, as substitutes for firewood, have improved the quality of life for billions of people.

Of course, with over seven billion people on Earth, we really have no choice but to switch to sustainable energy. I think this transition will be smoothest if we maintain a functioning global economy.

Hundreds of millions of Chinese have been lured into leaving their communities, culture, and land, and packing into cubicles in ultra polluted cities where they work at uncreative jobs, making the tons of c**p Americans pack their over sized houses with, until they die and a dumpster is filled with all this stuff, sometime not even removed from its packaging.
Sounds sort of like a repeat of the Industrial Revolution in the West, actually. It's not pleasant, but there's no going back. Traditional, agrarian societies are only sustainable at far smaller population levels than the present. Rather than attempting to drastically "cull" human numbers (I'm not volunteering for this), I believe it is our destiny to develop the technology necessary to support our numbers in relative comfort.

Tesla is today probably the most important company pushing the "green" technology envelope. As an investor, one wants to be aligned with the future. Hence my oversized TSLA position.

Coal, oil, and natural gas, as substitutes for firewood, have improved the quality of life for billions of people.
While causing the majority of climate change and potentially endangering every being on the planet.

Rather than attempting to drastically "cull" human numbers (I'm not volunteering for this), I believe it is our destiny to develop the technology necessary to support our numbers in relative comfort.
At some point we are going to be forced to limit human numbers or culling will happen one way or another. The most rational approach is to start actively limiting population growth voluntarily now. Endless population growth is neither sustainable nor desirable.

Reactions: Dreadnought
Tesla’s OJ moment! A passed out dude in a runaway car, never speeding, just never stopping.

Sort of interesting to me - the article(s) that I've read, nobody has pointed out that we have somebody in a car going down the highway at 70 mph, asleep at the wheel, and he continues that way for minutes before police can bring him safely to a halt without bothering other traffic.

As opposed to what would have happened with approximately every other car on the road - a bad wreck that likely closes a chunk or all of the highway in at least one direction, messes up other people's lives when he hits them, dies himself when he ploughs into a barrier going around a corner, etc..

When was the last time you went to sleep for minutes going 70 on the freeway, and woke up (ever, at all)? Bro shoulda been dead, instead of being a source of a curious news report (and getting booked for driving impaired).

Last edited:
While causing the majority of climate change and potentially endangering every being on the planet.

At some point we are going to be forced to limit human numbers or culling will happen one way or another. The most rational approach is to start actively limiting population growth voluntarily now. Endless population growth is neither sustainable nor desirable.

Watch Hans Rosling's video "Don't Panic". The short version relative to population growth, is that the human population is already stable and on a glide path to ~11B around 2100. It won't keep growing, and in fact has already stopped growing. Each age range (grouped in 15 year increments) is about 2B people, with the older age ranges where the population is filling in - peak child happened decades ago and the 0-15 worldwide population has been stable at ~2B.

Because of better health care, the older age groups are expanding to ~2B from ~1B as people normally get older.

There's a different question whether the globe can handle 11B, but endless population growth has already ended on the planet, and did so decades ago.

Don’t Panic – The Facts About Population

(about an hour - I find it enthralling, and am resisting the urge to go back and watch it again for probably my dozenth time, as I usually do when I dig up the link for somebody)

An observation though: I happened to listen to an interview with Germany's ostensibly greenest climate scientist on DLF [public radio] - greenest in regards to his personal yearly CO2 balance. In his travels around the country speaking with people and doing climate advocacy, he says the most important way bar none to have an impact is actually to lobby for better rules and regulations.
Makes sense, though I lobby for fossil divestment /renewables investment instead because the financial side is the field I actually know

Reactions: abasile and jbih
When does Tesla pay off the loans due this quarter? Did I miss it?
Yes, it already happened

I'm thinking it is fair to assume that Tesla made its $230M cash payment in November without incident.
That is correct. If you look up those SolarCity bonds, they stopped trading about 3 days before maturity, as you'd expect. They've been paid off.

Thanks for the positive comments, I'm always expecting to get trashed for being so counter culture. Couple things about firewood. Modern stoves, like rocket stoves burn smoke free except startup. Carbon black only stays in the air or surface for a matter of hours and soon becomes sequestered so cooking with firewood is carbon negative. Everywhere I've been, Latin America, pacific islands, se asia, there is biomass rotting away unused, like coconut husk and in Malaysia hardwood driftwood from water villages. Philippines is more thrifty but bundles of twigs are sold cheap and non destructive. Nevertheless electric is the future now that its cheap.
While I understand population concerns, to a point, that isn't the source of impact. Any number of pacific islanders living traditionally making what they need and want and singing and dancing all night have zero environmental impact. Everything is so far off the rails now that tesla is our only hope. Once the ff companies have less money for disinformation stoking consumption we will see.

So, if we want to talk about population growth...

...it's very heavily documented that the following will bring population growth to a halt and even turn it slightly negative:
(1) educate women, so they have the skills to do something other than be pregnant all the time
(2) liberate women, so that they have the legal and economic empowerment to do something other than be pregnant all the time
(3) provide comprehensive sex education
(4) provide access to birth control

It turns out that nearly all women don't *want* to be pregnant all the time. The drive for excessive population growth comes from some (certainly not all) men -- men like ibn Saud with his hundred children and essentially-enslaved wives. Get them out of power, within a generation the population stabilizes.

This is only one of the many reasons why my primary charity is Scarleteen, the most popular sex ed website in the English language on the planet. (Another reason is that good sex is one of the great joys of life and people deserve to know how to have good sex safely and consensually. Another is that people deserve to know when they're being abused or in an unhealthy relatioship and how to escape.) If you appreciate my commentary here, consider donating to Scarleteen.

There are groups, unfortunately, which campaign to oppress women, deny access to birth control, prevent sex education, etc. I can only imagine that they are run by men like ibn Saud.

Thanks for the positive comments, I'm always expecting to get trashed for being so counter culture. Couple things about firewood. Modern stoves, like rocket stoves burn smoke free except startup. Carbon black only stays in the air or surface for a matter of hours and soon becomes sequestered so cooking with firewood is carbon negative. Everywhere I've been, Latin America, pacific islands, se asia, there is biomass rotting away unused, like coconut husk and in Malaysia hardwood driftwood from water villages. Philippines is more thrifty but bundles of twigs are sold cheap and non destructive. Nevertheless electric is the future now that its cheap.
While I understand population concerns, to a point, that isn't the source of impact. Any number of pacific islanders living traditionally making what they need and want and singing and dancing all night have zero environmental impact. Everything is so far off the rails now that tesla is our only hope. Once the ff companies have less money for disinformation stoking consumption we will see.
I generally agree here, but for a given Pacific island, there is just a limited number of islanders it can sustain. This goes to JPR3's point about endless population growth. I doubt that the whole planet could sustain 8 billion Pacific Islanders living traditionally, not that I'm opposed to the lifestyle. There just aren't enough islands.

Reactions: UrsS and JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.