Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this goes up quickly would you get screwed? selling Calls to close ?

I will worry about that when I am green :)

If, say, it goes up to 290 on 4/6, I would make about $22 from leaps and lose about $10 from my calls. I can easily roll the calls out to 5/18 strike 300 for some additional credit. If by 5/18 it goes above 300, then I can either roll them out further or close everything for $40 gain.

• Informative
Reactions: elasalle
The point is that Tesla will buy as many batteries as Panasonic can help them make. If Panasonic wants to make Tesla pay for batteries they can’t make, I’m sure Elon will show them the door. I like schonelucht, he’s pragmatic and cynical but he’s gotten hung up on this before. If Panasonic cloudless make 37GW of batteries we’d be seeing over 5000 Model 3s a week by now. They’ve been the darn bottleneck. This is ridiculous.

Automated battery pack assembly issues are Tesla's fault, not Panasonic's.

• Love
Reactions: mongo
A little OT ATM, but does this look like someone in San Jose CA got solar roof installed?

Toblerone on Twitter

"The Tesla Solar Roof is every bit as beautiful as I hoped. Hoping @PGE4Me allows us to turn it on very soon. I feel like we’re living in the future! @Tesla @elonmusk"

Also retweeted by Tesla and Elonmusk

for those not familiar, PG&E is the main Northern California utilities company

Now with Electrek link
A look at latest Tesla solar roof tile installation

Last edited:
The point is that Tesla will buy as many batteries as Panasonic can help them make. If Panasonic wants to make Tesla pay for batteries they can’t make, I’m sure Elon will show them the door. I like schonelucht, he’s pragmatic and cynical but he’s gotten hung up on this before. If Panasonic cloudless make 37GW of batteries we’d be seeing over 5000 Model 3s a week by now. They’ve been the darn bottleneck. This is ridiculous.

??? Panasonic and Fremont line is the bottleneck for S/X. For 3 it's Tesla's module making equipment. This is super well documented.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
After picking up our RED 3, I can just echo how great the car is and everything about the car is amazing!

Quality is great, not a flaw in the sheet metal or paint, great handling, great ride. They were delivering 10 3s today and 13 tomorrow in addition to a bunch of S/Xs. The only thing I think I’ll miss is the TACC/AP stalk and the trunk closer.

A well oiled service department was a beehive of activity and Every employee was happy and enthusiastic! Didn’t spot a grumpy sales person that had to talk to his manager anywhere!

Our local community college has started a “Tesla Start” service training - a 12 week program and the first batch graduate April 12.

After picking up our RED 3, I can just echo how great the car is and everything about the car is amazing!

Quality is great, not a flaw in the sheet metal or paint, great handling, great ride. They were delivering 10 3s today and 13 tomorrow in addition to a bunch of S/Xs. The only thing I think I’ll miss is the TACC/AP stalk and the trunk closer.

A well oiled service department was a beehive of activity and Every employee was happy and enthusiastic! Didn’t spot a grumpy sales person that had to talk to his manager anywhere!

Our local community college has started a “Tesla Start” service training - a 12 week program and the first batch graduate April 12.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is in-line with what I have read of personal accounts from many Model 3 owners.

As a stock holder, I have not heard of this Tesla shareholders fighting SolarCity merger win a round in court as of this writing:-(

Sorry, this is a joke. Elon was right, we will all understand why solar City was not an optional purchase. It was going to failed along with the value they had built and Tesla would have had to start over with solar products. The solar roof is one, but the other will become more clear once the semi is out. Each company that buys multiple semis will need many many panels and batteries to keep costs down below 7c/KWh. There is only one way. Solar. Maybe some wind, but mostly solar. Maybe if your distribution hub is next to a dam, but really mostly solar. Lots and lots of solar and batteries. Loads and loads of batteries.

To put this into context, 100,000 semis are equivalent to 3.4 million model 3s. And you can't charge a semi at home. But companies will need to and will mostly charge these trucks where they load and unload them. Mega chargers on the freeway will also need solar and batteries to keep costs down.

To win this case, all Tesla has to do is show a plan. It's not a bail out if the acquisition of solar City is a critical part of a real plan. I think Tesla can make a very compelling case for why they needed solar City. Tesla requires the economies of scale provided by gf2 to make it all work. Without that massive scale and with new solar tariffs, getting panels in the volumes, quantity and quality that they required would not be possible. This would have jeopardized supercharging and megachargers.

Edit: to be clear. Breach of fiduciary duty is very hard to prove. The problem is that all Elon has to prove is that he had the best interests of the stock holders in mind. He doesn't have to be successful with the acquisition. It's not a measure of competence only intent. As long as he can prove the intent was something other than a handout to his cousins, then nothing else really matters.

Last edited:
A Moody's analyst, who CNBC depicts as behind this week's bond downgrade, was on their network today re this change in rating. As you can see watching the video in the linked page...

CNBC host opens with a pretty strong question,

~Tesla is reporting on Q1 production next week... if there's upside to that Model 3 number, would you upgrade that rating? if it's weaker than expected would you downgrade it further?~

Moody's analyst,

~I don't think there's upside if they exceed the 2,500. 2,500 is still significantly below where we thought the company was going to be. If they're significantly below that 2,500 number, that's a negative sign...they're going to have to go back to the capital markets...~

This is a 'critical time’ for Tesla, says Moody's analyst who caused its bonds and stock to drop

The analysts comments are both curious and not indicative of a very strong grasp of Tesla's situation.

Did Moody's need nearly 3 months to absorb two basic data points Tesla announced in the first 3 days of January (2.5K targeted was reset for end of Q1, 5K for end of Q2)?

Do they really have such a limited understanding of Tesla that they think a month or two change in the ramp means another capital raise is a sure thing?

Or, does there, "good news doesn't matter, bad news is important", hint at something fishy about what Moody's is doing?

Sorry, this is a joke. Elon was right, we will all understand why solar City was not an optional purchase. It was going to failed along with the value they had built and Tesla would have had to start over with solar products. The solar roof is one, but the other will become more clear once the semi is out. Each company that buys multiple semis will need many many panels and batteries to keep costs down below 7c/KWh. There is only one way. Solar. Maybe some wind, but mostly solar. Maybe if your distribution hub is next to a dam, but really mostly solar. Lots and lots of solar and batteries. Loads and loads of batteries.

To put this into context, 100,000 semis are equivalent to 3.4 million model 3s. And you can't charge a semi at home. But companies will need to and will mostly charge these trucks where they load and unload them. Mega chargers on the freeway will also need solar and batteries to keep costs down.

To win this case, all Tesla has to do is show a plan. It's not a bail out if the acquisition of solar City is a critical part of a real plan. I think Tesla can make a very compelling case for why they needed solar City. Tesla requires the economies of scale provided by gf2 to make it all work. Without that massive scale and with new solar tariffs, getting panels in the volumes, quantity and quality that they required would not be possible. This would have jeopardized supercharging and megachargers.

Edit: to be clear. Breach of fiduciary duty is very hard to prove. The problem is that all Elon has to prove is that he had the best interests of the stock holders in mind. He doesn't have to be successful with the acquisition. It's not a measure of competence only intent. As long as he can prove the intent was something other than a handout to his cousins, then nothing else really matters.

This was a bailout by Elon for family members, that might be the key reason the company goes under. Any Tesla long should be appalled.The dept load that this commodity business imposed, is crushing them. Bad move for Tesla, this lawsuit has merit.

This was a bailout by Elon for family members, that might be the key reason the company goes under. Any Tesla long should be appalled.The dept load that this commodity business imposed, is crushing them. Bad move for Tesla, this lawsuit has merit.

I voted for the merger because tesla energy is an important part of the ecosystem. Just like Reciprocity said, not really anything to add to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.