Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk answer to the charging time question/criticism was very interesting. It sounds like cell energy density is improving rapidly, but the trade off may be the inability to improve charge rate per cell.
But the other side of that is larger packs can charge faster per mile at the same C rate, so effective charge speed increases.

Oh god, the vegans have returned!!

I'd like to take her out for a burger sometime :D

just like like no leather in the gear shifter.

I have to admit that I look forward to the usual Vegan uprising at the shareholder meeting, but I was sorely disappointed that the PETA representative was unaware that Tesla automobiles do not have a "gear shifter". When she started lecturing about Alcantara and synthetic leather, that was another "WTF?!" moment.

PETA paid no attention whatsoever if their representatives were unaware of the highly contentious Alcantara headliner issue, or the fact that Tesla has replaced leather seating with synthetic material across its entire line. That kind of made me lose respect for PETA. Know your issues, people!

The audience had a good laugh though.

It was interesting that the Vegan steering wheel is available on request. Franz said they are made in small batches at the design center.

The previous Vegan uprising was so much better.

I have to admit that I look forward to the usual Vegan uprising at the shareholder meeting, but I was sorely disappointed that the PETA representative was unaware
The previous Vegan uprising was so much better.

Agree. D- would not buy again.

I do appreciate the move away from leather across the line and am glad to hear that the steering wheel will eventually do the same.

PETA paid no attention whatsoever if their representatives were unaware of the highly contentious Alcantara headliner issue, or the fact that Tesla has replaced leather seating with synthetic material across its entire line. That kind of made me lose respect for PETA. Know your issues, people!
I'd say the fact that she only mentioned the wheel and shifter means she knew the seats weren't an issue.

In the last five seconds Elon says no more Tier 1 Suppliers? Will internalize all that work and will just have Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers. Wow

Also wow re sub Model 3 car.

He has insisted for years sub Model 3 car not needed with FSD and Tesla Network.

Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla killer within 5 years?

Yes, this stood out in a very good, content rich, meeting.

I think everything is on the table re this decision. Elon mentioned such a more affordable car about 3 years ago, but, that video has subsequently been pulled. Range of outcomes I think with a realistic chance goes from the Tesla Network/Autonomous still covering pretty much what Tesla will offer using the vehicles we already know about, to new compact models in all major Tesla markets, to in between, i.e., S,X,3,Y/Tesla Network in NA, Europe, and new compact vehicles developed for addition to the product mix for markets such as India and China.

In about 4 years, Tesla will have a much better sense of 3 & Y global demand, and timing of legal approval for deploying fully autonomous vehicle fleets in various markets. At that point, Tesla will be closing in on production capacity for 2-3 million units per year, and then make a decision how far to go with a compact vehicle, if at all, and with that plan the next round of buildup of vehicle capacity. Tesla's vehicle business ~2030 could be as much as 10 million vehicles per year, or less than half that, but, with a well optimized mix of consumer sales, Tesla Network, and semis. I think it's going to be a blast either way.

I thought it was about Tier 1 Suppliers, though the topic in relation to automation, I took it to be that Tier 1 suppliers were not as easy to work with as Tier 2 and 3, which could explain why they stopped using alcantera in model 3.

I relistened to that part. The question was about production automation. Elon: "I think we were just over confident about the degree of automation that was possible. We did rely quite a bit on tier one manufacturing automation integrators. And a couple of those things really didn't work out at all. And now we're really going to internalize all tier 1 manufacturing systems at Tesla. So we'll have a lot of suppliers, but they'll be at the tier 2 and tier 3 level."

So yeah, if you take his last sentence in isolation, it means one thing, but you can't do that. He is talking about manufacturing automation integrators, not generic suppliers.

In the last five seconds Elon says no more Tier 1 Suppliers? Will internalize all that work and will just have Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers. Wow

I relistened to that part. The question was about production automation. Elon: "I think we were just over confident about the degree of automation that was possible. We did rely quite a bit on tier one manufacturing automation integrators. And a couple of those things really didn't work out at all. And now we're really going to internalize all tier 1 manufacturing systems at Tesla. So we'll have a lot of suppliers, but they'll be at the tier 2 and tier 3 level."

So yeah, if you take his last sentence in isolation, it means one thing, but you can't do that. He is talking about manufacturing automation integrators, not generic suppliers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Buran and 22522

Yes, I heard again before I saw your reply. I totally agree with you, I knew it was about the integrators, but thought it was in relation to the suppliers, but I think I have a better understanding now of what he meant, thx.

Reactions: Intl Professor
I believe that was a response about automation - so no tier 1 automation integrators going forward.

They should have known better. If the Tier 1 automation integrators where any good what Tesla wanted to do wouldn't have been lightyears ahead of other automakers. Sadly, for Tesla, using them for the Model 3 probably gave them a lot of experience and information that they can now go and sell to the other OEMs.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.