Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I read is they are catching on to vin snooping and delaying registrations to combat that.

What really matters is the number of car carriers seen in and about Tesla which is substantial.

Model 3 in Canada says something too.
If we start monitoring that, they'll catch on again and the Boring Company will dig some tunnels so they can ship the cars in stealth. o_O

Tesla is the most valuable American headquartered automaker.

$62.96B vs $61.94

upload_2018-6-18_13-5-14.png

upload_2018-6-18_13-6-44.png

Solar roads in China

This particular experiment looks more promising to me than past attempts:

The surface of these panels, made of a complex polymer that resembles plastic, has slightly more friction than a conventional road surface, according to Zhang Hongchao, an engineering professor at Tongji University in Shanghai. Professor Zhang, who helped develop Pavenergy’s road surface, said that the friction could be adjusted as needed during the manufacturing process to ensure a level of tire grip equal to that of asphalt.

[...]

Panels on a highway would likely need to be replaced less often than asphalt, Professor Zhang said. And a solar road can produce about $15 a year worth of electricity from each square meter of solar panels. So it could roughly pay for itself, compared with asphalt, over about 15 years.

Less clear is whether the panels would be able to take the pounding of millions of tires each year for more than a decade, or whether they might be stolen.

Several square feet of solar panels disappeared less than a week after they were installed here in late December, raising worries of theft or even industrial espionage.

[...]

In the United States, installing solar roads is more complicated.

With the exception of some bridges and sections of interstate highways, American roads tend to be built with a lot of asphalt, but with less concrete underneath than roads elsewhere, said Kara M. Kockelman, a transportation engineering professor at the University of Texas.

The problem with asphalt is that it compresses slightly under the weight of trucks. The blue silicon of solar cells, the panels’ electricity-generating component, can withstand being mashed by many tons of weight. But the nearly paper-thin cells snap when bent, like a thin sheet of sugar. (This is not as much of an issue in China, where highways are built with very thick concrete bases.)

Still, executives here are hopeful. They say that the technology is ready and that they are not concerned even by the complications of American highway construction.

“If conditions permit,” Xu Chunfu, Qilu’s chairman, said, “I would like to build a solar road in the United States.”

Before we get too excited let’s look at some serious issues going on that hangs over Tesla.

-AP steering wheel nag. Lots of unhappy people folks.

If your'e a Tesla owner that is unhappy with the steering wheel nag, I have a suggestion for you.

I also just got the updated software, and I haven't noticed a change in the nag's behavior. I think that means that my steering wheel input mechanism is what Tesla is looking for, as evidence that I'm present.

The key is to realize that the car is looking for / sensing torque or twist on the wheel. Not so much that you break out of AP control, but enough that the car knows you're there. To apply that torque continuously, hang your hand from the left or right cross bar on the steering wheel. My arm is long enough that my left elbow rests on the arm rest on the door, and the left hand has 1 finger hooked over the cross bar on the wheel. I routinely drive an hour + drive between houses with nary a nag, and that included yesterday on the new software.

If you're resting your hands in your lap or you are gripping the wheel, then you aren't providing resistance to the wheel twisting (such as on a straight away where the AP isn't trying to turn the wheel). Your torque / resistance on the wheel isn't consistent enough for what's being tested.

So hang your hand from either side of the wheel - your hand + arm is lighter than the weight / torque needed to break out of AP, and will provide continuous assurance to the car that you're there.

If your'e a Tesla owner that is unhappy with the steering wheel nag, I have a suggestion for you.

I also just got the updated software, and I haven't noticed a change in the nag's behavior. I think that means that my steering wheel input mechanism is what Tesla is looking for, as evidence that I'm present.

The key is to realize that the car is looking for / sensing torque or twist on the wheel. Not so much that you break out of AP control, but enough that the car knows you're there. To apply that torque continuously, hang your hand from the left or right cross bar on the steering wheel. My arm is long enough that my left elbow rests on the arm rest on the door, and the left hand has 1 finger hooked over the cross bar on the wheel. I routinely drive an hour + drive between houses with nary a nag, and that included yesterday on the new software.

If you're resting your hands in your lap or you are gripping the wheel, then you aren't providing resistance to the wheel twisting (such as on a straight away where the AP isn't trying to turn the wheel). Your torque / resistance on the wheel isn't consistent enough for what's being tested.

So hang your hand from either side of the wheel - your hand + arm is lighter than the weight / torque needed to break out of AP, and will provide continuous assurance to the car that you're there.
Does the torque change in sport/normal/comfort modes?

Anyone else nervously awaiting the 'reverse margin call' from their broker?

"We see some real nice gains there in your portfolio lately... would you like help figuring out how to spend them?" :p

My first rodeo with options/leverage.... bought calls in the late March and late May dips mostly, and mostly mid-term expirations ... what I've sold so far was just at a modest profit, but still holding several with 8/17 and 9/21 expirations which are way up (plus a Mar2019 and Jan2020). Have a sell target in mind for them (absent news that concerns me and triggers an early sell), but enjoying the ride and beautiful paper gains so far :). The stock is still buy and hold for retirement.

Thanks everyone here for your insights and entertaining banter along the way, and thanks to Elon and everyone at Tesla for helping move the world forward despite all the obstacles.

Anyone else nervously awaiting the 'reverse margin call' from their broker?
That's a great comment. My broker usually calls me around the lowest part of the dip and asks me to diversify our shares because we are too heavily loaded in TSLA. I usually take that as a great buy signal and the trend is reversing because the brokerage houses want our shares for the pending run up.

Elon Musk emails employees about 'extensive and damaging sabotage' by employee
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent an e-mail to all employees on Sunday night alleging there was a saboteur within the company's ranks.
  • Musk alleged this employee tweaked code on internal products and sent company data out without authorization.
  • Tesla is in the midst of sweeping layoffs and a profitability drive. It is also under pressure to produce 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of this quarter.
Elon Musk sends company email about 'extensive and damaging sabotage' by employee

That's a great comment. My broker usually calls me around the lowest part of the dip and asks me to diversify our shares because we are too heavily loaded in TSLA. I usually take that as a great buy signal and the trend is reversing because the brokerage houses want our shares for the pending run up.

Ever notice your brokerage start coat tailing you?

• Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent an e-mail to all employees on Sunday night alleging there was a saboteur within the company's ranks.
  • Musk alleged this employee tweaked code on internal products and sent company data out without authorization.
  • Tesla is in the midst of sweeping layoffs and a profitability drive. It is also under pressure to produce 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of this quarter.
Elon Musk sends company email about 'extensive and damaging sabotage' by employee
At least they got the guy...

Ever notice your brokerage start coat tailing you?

Even if they aren't, the timing of their inquiries sure has made me wonder on several occasions. I have found that the phone has been awful quiet from them once we called to get assurance that none of our shares were in the lending program, and then we put GTC orders on all our shares. Now it is just crickets that we hear in BFE Idaho. And an occasional gunshot of course.:eek:

And the author is.................

Lora Kolodny
Tech Reporter

(I couldn't bring myself to say 'journalist')

And the author is.................

Lora Kolodny
Tech Reporter

(I couldn't bring myself to say 'journalist')

Interesting. When I first saw the link pop up in my Twitter feed it was published without a byline. At that point it was published about a minute before. They must have added that later.

Edit: They also replaced the email address for sending information to Elon which was initially published in the article with [email address removed for privacy]. A bit late to do a revision like that, especially when it has been quoted in other places.

Last edited:
Even if they aren't, the timing of their inquiries sure has made me wonder on several occasions. I have found that the phone has been awful quiet from them once we called to get assurance that none of our shares were in the lending program, and then we put GTC orders on all our shares. Now it is just crickets that we hear in BFE Idaho. And an occasional gunshot of course.:eek:

Test it out. Buy a trivial stock with low liquidity with an amount that are trivial. and see if it jumps up.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.