Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately our investment levels will never move the market with the exception of perhaps some penny stocks stuck in a rut. Have you experienced 'things that make you go Hmmmm?' with your brokerage?
I have experienced it, yes. It was a low-volume biotech stock that I wanted to get out of, and somehow every time I placed an ask at about the middle of the spread, the bid went down exactly that much. I can't remember what the stock was, now... company is long gone, whatever it was. (Father-in-law suggested it... I should have known better.) I also can't remember how I ended up getting out of it, whether I just took the current bid at some point or did something slightly better somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: Paracelsus
Personally I found these comments in Elon's email to be particularly noteworthy and a bit concerning:

"Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they're willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they're willing to cheat in other ways?"

With all certainty Elon must of known the email would leak. And this statement is 'direct enough' about who he is referencing that it could infer he already has a belief (or proof?) that the German auto industry is gunning hard for him.....and willing to do so in the most unethical ways. But hey, there was nothing ethical about the emission scandal either! And if this were the case wouldn't this be icing on the death-cake for the German auto industry to get caught up in yet another scandal - this one in an effort to once again undermine the sustainability of the planet and humankind by attempting to destroy the only environmentally focused auto company (or not-an-auto company in this case) by literally planting a spy within that company to sabotage products and steal information. You can't make this stuff up. Tesla has had to overcome every trap people could set for them that they were certain was insurmountable.

Last edited:
Anyone else nervously awaiting the 'reverse margin call' from their broker?

"We see some real nice gains there in your portfolio lately... would you like help figuring out how to spend them?" :p
You don't use a *full service* broker, do you? The whole point of discount brokers is that they leave you alone and just execute trades for you! ;-)

Reactions: RedOctober
I have experienced it, yes. It was a low-volume biotech stock that I wanted to get out of, and somehow every time I placed an ask at about the middle of the spread, the bid went down exactly that much. I can't remember what the stock was, now... company is long gone, whatever it was. (Father-in-law suggested it... I should have known better.) I also can't remember how I ended up getting out of it, whether I just took the current bid at some point or did something slightly better somehow.
You were getting front-run. Most brokers sell order flow to firms which hand it to front-runners, but even at the ones which don't (like IB) the front-runners with fast connections to the NASDAQ can front-run you anyway.

Unfortunately the illegal front-running is just a fact of the market now since the SEC refuses to do anything about it, despite it being blatantly illegal. Reinstituting the stamp tax on trades, at a fraction of a penny, would kill most of it and expose the rest.

"Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they're willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they're willing to cheat in other ways?"

that the German auto industry is gunning hard for him.....and willing to do so in the most unethical ways. But hey, there was nothing ethical about the emission scandal either! And if this were the case wouldn't this be icing on the death-cake for the German auto industry to get caught up in yet another scandal.

and @anticitizen13.7 comment
apple gets these people thrown in jail over iphone leaks. certainly tesla will be investigating to the furthest extent. it sure may be theft of intellectual property, intent to cause damages/losses. this will be interesting to see, and if the truth ends up coming out.
to another poster asking about how market digests this, i’m not sure if it will wil cause a big hit until further is known and if/how extensive the damage is.
i know that i haven’t ever seen this amount of data points, news blurbs, leaks, coming from one company ever. every little thing is scrutinized and sensationalized. in a vacuum tothe casual observer it may look hard to defend musks behavior over the last few months. i’ve been following daily for years, and i still have a tough time keeping up with every tidbit around tesla, let alone spacex boring neuralink open ai etc. but if you took the time to take into consideration the negative information flow in concert with the roadmap of tesla, how could you not defend him, and be a little more lenient even when he may seem like he’s losing his mind.

the posts by jessie in Elon Musk vs. Short sellers and the book he referenced, authored by taibbi from RS, are def read-worthy. not that everything he explained is gospel, but it illuminates what many of us have suspected along, regarding manipulation. and the taibbi 67 page book excerpt, i mean you just can’t make this crap up. it’s an outright war on information. amazing the extent they’ll go. mind your p’s q’s everyone. they’re gunning for us supporters.

This is pretty rampant.

I did a test once with an illiquid stock. Buy 36.3 at one broker and sell 36.3 at another broker. Limit order. It didn't go through. We'll, I waited a few min and it didn't go through.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and EinSV
I think these are just option grants to the Board of Directors. All awarded at today closing price.
As Jim Cramer has said, whenever insiders are buying instead of selling, the future is very bright. The fact that opponents are now resorting to blatantly illegal activities like industrial espionage and sabotage suggests the endgame is indeed near.

If you want an interesting take on Trump or underdogs vs. the elites in general than I recommend a book by Steve Fuller (one of the most important living sociologists today) https://www.amazon.com/Post-truth-Knowledge-Issues-Modern-Sociology/dp/1783086947 Post-Truth: Knowledge As a Power Game (Key Issues in Modern Sociology)

Or as Pontius Pilate said: “What is Truth?”. The reality is that most people hold opinions and argue for them without knowing much about what they are discussing. The world is a very complicated place and too few people realize just how complicated every little thing is.

Indeed (in a probably forlorn attempt to make this post relevant to the thread), that’s what makes free markets and the stock market in particular such a genius idea. How do you value a hugely complex enterprise called “Tesla Inc.”? No person can. Literally. Yet through the power of the stock market we can and do buy and sell ownership in Tesla all day long, even though no person can set a rational price on the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.