Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the main problem with the most of the press.

You really can't conceive how different Tesla is right now until you buy and own and drive one.

It is like trying to write about an iPhone while having only used a flip phone.
"How does one fold this phone with this big screen!?! This will never work!!"

The majority of the press, and thus the majority of the public, have absolutely no idea what's going on.

TSLA Long: It's obvious... to those driving them right now.

You might be able to get your own Boring hookup to your garage Boring Company approved to build a tunnel entrance inside a residential garage
a product such as a car elevator which people would pay money to have installed is not a good business idea. I know this because the market has shown me that even though Tesla makes high-end expensive cars which have a waitlist to obtain, that is not the pathway to make a company profitable. The pathway ahead is clear open more gas stations. And cell phone and laptop charging stations at the gas stations. Just saying...

TSLA Long: It's obvious... to those driving them right now.

Never sat in a Tesla once – let alone drive one (waiting for M3P test drives!) – yet TSLA is by far the largest position in my portfolio ;)

So that can't be the reason why people are not getting it.

People don't get Tesla because they're stuck in old thinking patterns.

I think the Boring garage elevator is just a convenient available property to place a connection to this end of the tunnel. If there had been a parking lot to buy, they would have used that. They're demolishing the garage and building a new one anyways.

So, ignore that it happens to come up in a house's garage, this is a red herring. Tunneling through neighborhoods to have private tunnel access will never be a reasonable thing to do, they're not trying to demonstrate the ability (even if technically possible) of having a secret entrance to your super villain/hero lair.

I do expect them to use it for demonstrations though, just with only a single car load at a time (versus Dugout which will be a larger scale demo).

Reactions: neroden
This is a interesting tidbit from the Wards Auto article:

As part of my job I test drive about 100 new cars a year, from entry-level economy boxes, to blisteringly fast sports cars, to the toniest of luxury sedans. Unfortunately, Tesla does not make its cars available for test drives to members of the automotive media like me. I think the company is missing out on a huge opportunity. If other automotive journalists got to experience a Tesla like I did, it would likely generate a new group of enthusiastic supporters.

Source: How I Drank the Tesla Kool-Aid and Became a Believer

This reminds me a quote about two Italian newspapers:
La Repubblica sells 200k copies every day. Il Foglio sells 2k, but everyone weights like a stone.
It really matter *which* people you are trying to convince.
A few loaners could help convince some key, vocal people in the auto industry, and help tame the FUD, which in turn will help the stock price.

Reactions: gene
This is a interesting tidbit from the Wards Auto article:

As part of my job I test drive about 100 new cars a year, from entry-level economy boxes, to blisteringly fast sports cars, to the toniest of luxury sedans. Unfortunately, Tesla does not make its cars available for test drives to members of the automotive media like me. I think the company is missing out on a huge opportunity. If other automotive journalists got to experience a Tesla like I did, it would likely generate a new group of enthusiastic supporters.

Source: How I Drank the Tesla Kool-Aid and Became a Believer

This reminds me a quote about two Italian newspapers:
La Repubblica sells 200k copies every day. Il Foglio sells 2k, but everyone weights like a stone.
It really matter *which* people you are trying to convince.
A few loaners could help convince some key, vocal people in the auto industry, and help tame the FUD, which in turn will help the stock price.
While they are production limited, it doesn't matter. and when production approaches (current) demand, this is one of the knobs that can be turned to increase demand.

Brent crude oil prices are set to move beyond $80 per barrel, as expected. The surge I predicted is still on, primarily due to struggling Venezuela production, Iran sanctions, struggling US oil production and infrastructure bottlenecks out of Permian, as well as rising global energy demand.

As a reminder, each $1 per gallon increase in gasoline prices increases the relative value of owning an all-electric vehicle by $5,000: $2,500 during the first five-year ownership period and $2,500 in residual value. Higher fuel prices could in effect offset impact from lower tax credits in 2019.

Aren't gas prices down about 20 cents a gallon since May?

Stationary battery storage demand is huge and growing. Here is a feel good story:

The residential market has shown the most consistent growth of the three sectors, with positive quarter-over-quarter numbers since the beginning of 2017 – cumulatively experiencing 60.6% quarterly growth.

US triples energy storage installations, residential grows 10X to become largest sector
Wow, you know, when Wood Mac estimates a 10X growth in the span of 5 years, they are at pains to be conservative and underestimate what is really going on.

Nothing like a massive storm in the news to reinforce the value of back up power.

Last edited:
Anyone else think NIO may take some shorting heat off of Tesla? Seems like it's ripe for manipulation with it's valuation and new EV kid on the block status.
Just as I bought a few hundred shares of NIO, which is tiny compared to my TSLA holdings , my guess the shorts will also play with NIO not in place of TSLA but as a side hobby.

NIO stock thread

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
Game over as far the shorts instigating the institutional investors to oust Musk. :cool:

Worth watching the video of the interview.

James Anderson: ‘vicious’ short sellers are Tesla’s big problem, not Elon Musk

Edit: Holy moly! Baillie Gifford FM refers to Jim Chanos' scumbaggery, covered extensively by @jesselivenomore and @TeslaPodcast here.. Bravo!
Wow, wow, wow.
That interview is something.
I am glad James Anderson is in our corner and not against us, that man is scary! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.