Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I addressed that with my suggestion of retrofits where possible (most cars with Type 1 or proprietary Tesla connectors here in the US are sold in Europe with Type 2 connectors) and adapters (i-MiEV and Gen 1 LEAF (which in Europe use adapters too) and Gen 1 Roadster (which needs adapters everywhere to use public charging)).

"All those Type 1 vehicles" are less than 1% of the fleet in Type 1 markets, and we're looking for 100% of the fleet to be electric here. If this is done now, in 10 years, this will be a minor speed bump. If we don't do it now, in 10 years, it'll be a frustrating nightmare.

I could maybe see Tesla doing it, because they actually care, but the rest won't do it unless forced to by legislation and paid by public money, they would never fund such a retrofit operation voluntarily.

Idea: when after-hours trading is closed on all markets that TSLA is traded on, there is no market action to discuss. Could the Market Action thread be automatically locked when there's no market action? There's always this thread for general discussion.

Unless news comes out that will impact the market when it does open.

I do agree that Market Action has turned into the general discussion among investors thread. Or, the market inaction thread...

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking, unlock the thread automatically at 8 AM Central European Time, lock it at 8 PM US Eastern Time.

Outside of that, there is no market action - there are things to discuss that may become material to the market, but the market isn't acting - so it goes here, no?

If you agree with this petition I'd appreciate any advice or help obtaining more signatures?
Sign Petition: SEC and Judge Alison Nathan Please Treat Elon Musk fairly!

Also advice on when and how to deliver it?

I agree with the sentiment, but the justification seems a little tangential and brief. Maybe something along the lines of, "although we would've preferred that the lawsuit was thrown out entirely, or that no additional independent board members be required in the settlement, a quick resolution of the SEC lawsuit is ultimately better than a distracting drawn-out court battle."

Tesla has already had to compromise enough, by limiting the number of stores in some states, setting up galleries in others, etc.

In China, Tesla was able to secure the right to fully own Gigafactory 3, without being forced into a joint venture.

In the US of all places, Tesla should be able to sell its cars as it sees fit. I'm all for maintaining a hardline stance on this. Eventually, with increasing numbers of Tesla vehicles on the road, public pressure and court action will lead to changes in state laws in Tesla's favor. This will be free advertising.
The Model 3 is the #13 vehicle in the United States.

=> a mockery is being made of those states' laws that create & protect dealership monopolies.

I don't think there is a big need to change the law. Lawmakers will change the law when they realise how much employment tax revenue they are losing.

NOTE - no sales tax revenue is lost... you still have to pay sales tax when you register a new car.

The Germans that tore down the model 3 claimed 10k$ in labor costs to build the model 3 but if you assign a 75k$ all-in average compensation for all 45,000 employees you get less than 10k$ per vehicle, and quite a large chunk (maybe half) of employees are already accounted for in Op.Ex soooooooooo.... I'm still puzzled about COGS.

it's the bay area, compensation needs to be higher. also, i think there's a misplaced time factor somewhere.

how about calculate in the reverse? assuming $10k labor costs per model3, of which there were 53k last quarter, that's a culmulative labor cost of $530million in q3; divide by 27k employees (because the others were building model S & X, and to make math easier) and you get $20k salary per employee for the quarter - annualized to $80k per employee ... that's kind of low for the bay area actually.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
it's the bay area, compensation needs to be higher. also, i think there's a misplaced time factor somewhere.

how about calculate in the reverse? assuming $10k labor costs per model3, of which there were 53k last quarter, that's a culmulative labor cost of $530million in q3; divide by 27k employees (because the others were building model S & X, and to make math easier) and you get $20k salary per employee for the quarter - annualized to $80k per employee ... that's kind of low for the bay area actually.

As of 3 years ago the average blue collar salary at Fremont Tesla was $71k plus TSLA options. A lot of the first generation workers have been able to sell their TSLA and buy houses with the proceeds.

As of this year unskilled labor starting salary was $17/hr at Fremont Tesla.

As of 3 years ago the average blue collar salary at Fremont Tesla was $71k plus TSLA options. A lot of the first generation workers have been able to sell their TSLA and buy houses with the proceeds.

As of this year unskilled labor starting salary was $17/hr at Fremont Tesla.

thereAre4Cars cited all-in compensation (aka +benefits). your finding of a $71k salary supports my case. that's a labor cost of over $100k (benefits + employer taxes).

edit: yes, it's expensive to run a business in california. which makes Tesla's accomplishments even more impressive. just shows that Ford and GM are just lazy!

thereAre4Cars cited all-in compensation (aka +benefits). your finding of a $71k salary supports my case. that's a labor cost of over $100k (benefits + employer taxes).

edit: yes, it's expensive to run a business in california. which makes Tesla's accomplishments even more impressive. just shows that Ford and GM are just lazy!

Including benefits ( and profit share) the average UAW member at the Detroit 3 makes $70/hr or $145k per year. But no options.

" Temps" hired after the bailout in 2008 top out at $19/hr. There have been "temps" at GM/Ford, and FCA for 10 years now.

NZ.PNG

EV Sales: New Zealand September 2018

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Saudi Arabia is preparing to push oil prices up to $400 per barrel, and make no mistake: they can.

$400 oil = $10 gas = Greater Recession

Don't wait until then:
  • Carpool with an EV owner
  • Buy a new or used EV
Perspective | What Jamal Khashoggi and Edward Snowden have in common

Used Leaf's in low $10,000's: It's a Great Time to Buy a Used Electric Vehicle

Used Tesla's in low $30,000's: EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings

Please share these links with your friends, family, and network. This is urgent.

Last edited:
ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Saudi Arabia is preparing to push oil prices up to $400 per barrel, and make no mistake: they can.

$400 oil = $10 gas = Greater Recession

Don't wait until then:
  • Carpool with an EV owner
  • Buy a new or used EV
Perspective | What Jamal Khashoggi and Edward Snowden have in common

Used Leaf's in low $10,000's: It's a Great Time to Buy a Used Electric Vehicle

Used Tesla's in low $30,000's: EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings

Please share these links with your friends, family, and network. This is urgent.

Zoinks! Even with my tank a month commute, that would be $3k yearly in fuel....

They definitely have some leverage...
In January, US was #3 in global oil production with 10 million barrels a day, Saudi Arabia had 10.6, and Russia 11. We consumed ~19.9 million barrels a day in 2017.
So Saudi Arabia could unilaterally impose a carbon tax and electrify using the profits from oil consuming countries. Given their climate, that may be in their best interests in an even shorter time scale than the Earth in general.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.