Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla can't produce enough battery packs for it's own products, and motor production may also be something of an issue. I don't see how they can produce either for another automaker.

Gigafactory 1 has plenty of expansion room. As long as another company is willing to make a down payment to start the expansion, it will work. The cell lines work in parallel. Tesla/Panasonic are capital constrained.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I don't believe that's the case. Tesla/Panasonic seem to have trouble finding qualified workers and getting enough equipment installed and working properly, I don't think that's a capital issue.
But... I think we have seen that Tesla moves a lot quicker in development than legacy manufacturers. Tesla could probably set up more battery/drivetrain manufacturing capacity faster than Ford could redesign their truck to take it. Tesla has to consider their overall mission. Instead of getting Ford loyal customers to switch to Tesla in order to get sustainable transport, Ford customers can stay with Ford, which might speed up the process of overall movement towards sustainability.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Love the idea... Ford needs to do it of course, but they probably won't due to corporate pride.

An announcement of that kind of collaboration would cause both companies' stock to leap.

They also need to make a clean break from chademo/CCS since they're shuttering all their sedan production... and go to Supercharger standard.

Perhaps also... Tesla would elect to avoid getting involved in this way and prefer to let Ford go away on their own.
I think they should keep CCS and add Supercharger. I wish Tesla had put a CCS port (if they could fit it) into the other taillight on the Model 3, and do the same in a refresh for S/X.

Supercharger is clearly superior for now, and probably continues to be, but I'd rather have the option of CCS too... As a bonus, wouldn't need the J1772 adapter anymore.

Honestly, I'd go for a variant of the Combo 2 connector supporting Tesla's modifications for Supercharging, being the worldwide standard (except, I guess, China). If there's no room for Combo 2, then have a Type 2 connector (also with Tesla's mods if applicable).

Most cars that have a Type 1 connector are available in Type 2 versions in Europe, so they can be retrofitted. (There are some that are sold in Europe with a Type 1, but there, the norm is to carry your own cable from the EVSE to the car. So, you can carry an adapter if you have a car that can't be modified to Type 2 for some reason.)

Teslas in Europe already use a variant of Type 2, instead of their proprietary connector - partially to get three-phase AC charging, which is important in Europe. This means that they can charge at any public L2 EVSE without an adapter, too.

Reactions: mutle
Here's an idea: Tesla designs the truck platform (including common frame and powertrain), with some input from Ford (as they have experience in truck platforms) but ultimate engineering decisions by Tesla (because powertrain integration). Ford builds the "skateboard" sans powertrain. Ford gets to slap a F150 style body or whatever they want on it, buying powertrain from Tesla (this of course assumes enough scale up of GFs to support both Tesla and Ford). Tesla buys some amount of skateboard production from Ford to then put their Tesla style body on.

Remember Toyota RAV4 EV and the Mercedes Benz B class EV? Tried and failed.

Reactions: UrsS
But I wouldn't rule out the halo effect for BEV trucks that something like B1/B2 can provide.

People have to know about a vehicle to provide a halo effect.

I don't think 1/4 of Silverado,Ram and F Series owners will ever know about Bollinger B1/B2.

And I don't think the Bollinger will outperform TOL Tesla Pickup.

Tesla Pickup and Semi will be top dog trucks stealing clicks on youtube from coal rolling vids and provide the halo effect.

B1/B2 will be a cool vehicle hardcore BEV fans know about.

Reactions: mrdoubleb
I believe that Tesla is the global leader in ramping EV vehicle production and will be able to get to 1, 2 and 3m annually vehicles before any other company.

They are now on iterations 4 (Y), 5(semi), and 6(pick up) of a ground up EV vehicle made for scale production. Plus they have the most cutting edge mindset about pushing automated production in both batteries and chassis.

Since the Ford factories are going to need to be completely redesigned for scale EV production (by Tesla b/c they are the best at this) I’m not sure how much they actually bring to the table vs an additional $3B capital needed to do it themselves.

Maybe it’s because in a high capital industry, but $3B in financing for a company growing like this is not hard to raise.

Honestly, I'd go for a variant of the Combo 2 connector supporting Tesla's modifications for Supercharging, being the worldwide standard (except, I guess, China). If there's no room for Combo 2, then have a Type 2 connector (also with Tesla's mods if applicable).

Most cars that have a Type 1 connector are available in Type 2 versions in Europe, so they can be retrofitted. (There are some that are sold in Europe with a Type 1, but there, the norm is to carry your own cable from the EVSE to the car. So, you can carry an adapter if you have a car that can't be modified to Type 2 for some reason.)

Teslas in Europe already use a variant of Type 2, instead of their proprietary connector - partially to get three-phase AC charging, which is important in Europe. This means that they can charge at any public L2 EVSE without an adapter, too.
This can work for Type 2 regions but not for Type 1. The Tesla connector in non-Type 2 regions (mostly, North America) is not a tweaked version of the L1/L2 non-combo Type 1 connector.

So you'd have to also convince everyone in Type 1 regions to switch to Type 2, which means either lots of redundant charging network hardware or stranding all those Type 1 vehicles when you switch the hardware out for Type 2.

main-qimg-ec11e286f8c175fa9871b605921ba89c

This can work for Type 2 regions but not for Type 1. The Tesla connector in non-Type 2 regions (mostly, North America) is not a tweaked version of the L1/L2 non-combo Type 1 connector.

So you'd have to also convince everyone in Type 1 regions to switch to Type 2, which means either lots of redundant charging network hardware or stranding all those Type 1 vehicles when you switch the hardware out for Type 2.

or go to the standard like in Europe where you provide your own cable. That way you can have a Type 2 outlet on the EVSE and a Type 1 inlet on the car. That also eliminates the problem with damaged cables at EVSEs.

• Informative
Reactions: kelly and SpaceCash
I believe that Tesla is the global leader in ramping EV vehicle production and will be able to get to 1, 2 and 3m annually vehicles before any other company.

They are now on iterations 4 (Y), 5(semi), and 6(pick up) of a ground up EV vehicle made for scale production. Plus they have the most cutting edge mindset about pushing automated production in both batteries and chassis.

Since the Ford factories are going to need to be completely redesigned for scale EV production (by Tesla b/c they are the best at this) I’m not sure how much they actually bring to the table vs an additional $3B capital needed to do it themselves.

Maybe it’s because in a high capital industry, but $3B in financing for a company growing like this is not hard to raise.

What Ford brings to the table is their dealer network. Granted, it has been said dealers don’t like ev’s but there are Ford dealerships are in every state. And, in my opinion, we are not that far away from a number of truck owners wanting bev vehicles.

I addressed that with my suggestion of retrofits where possible (most cars with Type 1 or proprietary Tesla connectors here in the US are sold in Europe with Type 2 connectors) and adapters (i-MiEV and Gen 1 LEAF (which in Europe use adapters too) and Gen 1 Roadster (which needs adapters everywhere to use public charging)).

"All those Type 1 vehicles" are less than 1% of the fleet in Type 1 markets, and we're looking for 100% of the fleet to be electric here. If this is done now, in 10 years, this will be a minor speed bump. If we don't do it now, in 10 years, it'll be a frustrating nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.